The Trayvon Martin Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Possibly, as the standard is much lower. That said, I doubt Zimmerman has any real assets at this point, so I doubt it will do the family any good.

I wonder if FL has any laws shielding Zimmerman from civil suits if he's found not guilty? Some states do, but the wording can be confusing and varies wildly from one state to the next.
He had his bail raised because his website had raised a considerable amount of money, which he and his wife were less than forthcoming about. OTOH, it'll probably all go to pay his lawyers...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
...assuming the judge allows the jury to consider a lesser charge.
In a case like this, it would be reversible error not to instruct on a lesser included offense. That is true any time the evidence would allow a jury to rationally conclude the lesser offense applied, and that's a federal right of due process. The only time a judge can refuse to charge with the lesser included offenses is when the facts are so cut and dried that a lesser included offense is not rational. An example of that would be like the Prof. Amy Bishop case here in HSV, where she entered a room and shot and killed people until her gun jammed. Involuntary manslaughter would not be a rational lesser included offense. This instant case could rationally include several lesser included offenses. As always, I bow to BamaBelle or anyone else in the active practice of criminal law...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The thing about this case that really gets me, is that it could very easily have been me in that situation. (I just moved out of Baltimore but I'm writing this as if this was a month ago).

I live at the end of a long alley where 2 exits to the road T off to either side. One of my alley neighbors was robbed of her purse right out of her kitchen at ~7pm about a month ago by 2 young black teens (which is the description of 98% of all burglaries, muggings and assaults in our area). Since that time, all of installed motion lights and we have been more aware of foot traffic through the alley. Additionally I started an informal neighborhood watch and I repeatedly called the police dept and Baltimore City government to get assistance or advice. They didnt reply to a single phone call, email, voicemail. If you call police to investigate a suspicious person, the cops show up an hour later, if at all.

So the result of this situation is that my neighborhood is on heightened alert for young black teens, we have been victims of crime and we are of the mentality that we will help each other out, and we also know we are on our own bc the cops won't show up. I am also armed and would certainly have a gun with me if I thought a crime was being committed in that alley.

There is nothing Zimmerman did that I consider outrageous behavior. His neighborhood had been robbed multiple times recently, he was in charge of the neighborhood watch, and he sees a young black teen that he doesnt recognize randomly walking around. So he investigates... and that is what makes him some crazed wacko??

If society wants these situations to stop, then perhaps the police and judicial systems need to do a better job of incarcerating criminals and protecting law-abiding citizens rather than leaving them to do the job themselves and then vilifying them once the deed is done.
From what I have seen, I dont think this family (TM's) can be characterized the same as as ones that would be encountered in downtown Baltimore or any other metro city and seen every day on the local news. The mother has a college degree and speaks very well. The brother is attending FIU and likewise speaks very well. It appears that TM was raised by a caring family and is far from the thug culture.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Wonder why there is never a media circus on the hundreds of black on black murders in Chicago for example? This is shameful on the media's part. You expect it from the race hustlers like Jackson and Sharpton. Funny how they claim to seek the same "dream" that MLK Jr. fought for and yet they spend every ounce of time they have on earth trying to make sure it NEVER happens.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Trayvon Martin's parents have been in the courtroom during all testimony, I think. Zimmerman's parents were asked to leave prior to the beginning of the trial because they were going to testify at the trial. It looks like, at least I've heard on TV, the prosecution will be calling Trayvon's mother to the stand.

Question: How can one side, parents of defendant, be asked to leave since they are going to testify, but the other side, prosecution, can call one of the parents as a witness when they've been sitting in court, each day, I think? I don't have a side in this court case, I was just wondering if this is justice: I don't see a balanced scale in front of me. I do think that Zimmerman would not be in trouble if he had complied with a request made when he called 911. Something to the effect: don't pursue the person in question. He should have let legal authorities handle the situation.
I don't think I've received a definitive answer regarding my original question. I missed all testimony today, but did find that the mother of Trayvon did testify.

Was it because the Defense did not see a problem, the mother (plaintiff) was limited in her testimony and the questions that she could be asked (mainly that was her son who was screaming) and the judge agreed to this? Otherwise, the balance scale of justice is leaning too far in one direction.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Wonder why there is never a media circus on the hundreds of black on black murders in Chicago for example? This is shameful on the media's part. You expect it from the race hustlers like Jackson and Sharpton. Funny how they claim to seek the same "dream" that MLK Jr. fought for and yet they spend every ounce of time they have on earth trying to make sure it NEVER happens.
I think we all know the media drives which stories get the publicity.

(Green font = sarcasm)

Put yourself in their shoes....why would you as a publisher/editor/news director put a story out that doesn't have a controversy attached to it? Racism, deviate behaviour, domestic violence, political scandal, death by homicide, injury, disaster, etc, etc.

The funny thing is.....as a society there are so many that buy into their hype. I must admit, I do too, although I do try not to let it ruin my day, if you know what I mean.

But getting back to your comments.....in particular MLK Jr.'s dream...how ironic that is lost on so many who feel their duty is to riot and cause mayhem when they feel there is an unjust scenario. IMHO, this does nothing more than further divide our society.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think I've received a definitive answer regarding my original question. I missed all testimony today, but did find that the mother of Trayvon did testify.

Was it because the Defense did not see a problem, the mother (plaintiff) was limited in her testimony and the questions that she could be asked (mainly that was her son who was screaming) and the judge agreed to this? Otherwise, the balance scale of justice is leaning too far in one direction.
I think the answer was that none of us practice in FL, so we don't know. It couldn't happen here. It's possible that the defense simply waived it with an agreement that she would only testify on the voices. Her testimony didn't really have much impact, anyway, since a mother's testimony would be regarded as very biased. Makes the defense look magnanimous, also. Maybe an answer will emerge later..

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This is where Al, Jesse, et al (but especially those two) could provide real leadership in that community (Chicago) and all other communities/cities in our nation, but I guess that's not what is important to them. I am honestly disappointed in their, Al's and Jesse's, failure to provide proper leadership. It's my opinion that they provide NEGATIVE leadership for African-Americans and all other hyphenated-Americans. I sure wish MLK, Jr. was still around to provide the POSITIVE LEADERSHIP that we need in our country.

And the bottom line is, guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns, knives, their bare hands, etc.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
From what I have seen, I dont think this family (TM's) can be characterized the same as as ones that would be encountered in downtown Baltimore or any other metro city and seen every day on the local news. The mother has a college degree and speaks very well. The brother is attending FIU and likewise speaks very well. It appears that TM was raised by a caring family and is far from the thug culture.
the family does seem decent. however havent you seen the photos of tm? he was definitely chasing the thug culture and he is exactly the type that is known around baltimore.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I see a 17 year old kid doing things 17 year olds do.
Playing with handguns?

Wait...what? You mean you are unwilling to condemn a child to murder via circumstantial evidence?
Ahh, ye olde straw man. No one said they were willing to 'condemn a child to murder via circumstantial evidence'.

Your bias is, however, quite obvious via the use of 'murder'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.