Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AL.com article...CMG says offense is a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    I believe the AD cares about the baseball program, and I don't think it will allow it to be terrible. It may allow it to be mediocre to good, but not absolutely terrible. If it did, why ever get rid of Schollenberger and hire Wells.
    Hootie Ingram was the AD who hired Jim Wells, not Mal Moore.
    "And the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson." -- Eli Gold, 1/7/10

"ZERO DOUBT" -- Tuscaloosa News Headline 1/10/12

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

As I recall Coach Saban played shortstop on the baseball team at Kent State? Maybe he'll get embrassed by all of this and offer some suggestions to his good friend Coach Moore.

rtr

BamaNation Scout Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the AD cares about the baseball program, and I don't think it will allow it to be terrible. It may allow it to be mediocre to good, but not absolutely terrible.
    I think if you are satisfied with having a mediocre to good baseball program then you don't really care too much.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

JoJo you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better myself. This baseball program is the mirror of UAB football right now.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

our coaches only had our pitchers throw fastballs in the fall camp. This is not a joke. So of course they hit well

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't quite agree with all the doom and gloom found here about the program. I agree the hitting coach needs to be held accountable and let go if we have a bad season. I think if Gaspard gets better guys who can help him coach, he might do okay. But if he doesn't make the right call on that and his team continues to play poorly, he should be held accountable. I believe the AD cares about the baseball program, and I don't think it will allow it to be terrible. It may allow it to be mediocre to good, but not absolutely terrible. If it did, why ever get rid of Schollenberger and hire Wells.
    I think the time to be held accountablre is now. It sounded like when he hired Andy, they were close personal friends, obviously not a qualified coach. The problem with that if it doesn't work is you have to fire them. The AD isn't going to build a $20 million stadium and be happy with the same 500 butts in the stands. Norris needs to go back to hitting, but thats not a guarantee things will get better. We need a qualified top flight pitching coach. But I don't know if CMG will be allowed to make that move. The decision to clean house may already be in the works.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

You really think they're going to let Gaspard go after this year?

I mean, I think that's the decision that should be made, but I thought he'd get a free pass this year because of a super regional in 2010 (despite a loaded roster of draft picks underachieving through the regular season) and a regional runner-up last year (despite a team that wasn't much better than this one, but had 4 quality losses to Florida and 3 quality losses to Vanderbilt to boost up the RPI and SOS)

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

sorrry dupe.
    Last edited by RedStar; April 2nd, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoforHeisman View Post
    The team is hitting a combined .241/.323/.335.

That's not a "mystery," that's a total embarrassment. When the situation gets this bad, somebody has to be held accountable.

As if the offensive issues weren't bad enough, we're now statistically the SEC's worst pitching staff.

What is happening with our program right now is akin to what happened at Auburn under Tom Slater. Fortunately for Auburn, they built a new ballpark and upgraded their facilities before he ran the program into the ground. Although this train wreck can hardly be blamed entirely on Coach Gaspard, his decisions have only exacerbated the problem. The fact is, with such an indifferent administration and an apathetic AD, this program is set up to fail. It all starts at the top, and it's a miracle that we managed to win consistently from 1995 until 2011. Barring some truly unforeseen changes, baseball at Alabama is on the verge of joining women's basketball as a perennial loser.
    So what's your suggestion? New AD?

I don't get the doom and gloom. Every team in every sport college and pros has a bad season every once in a while. It's been 18 years since we've fielded a team this bad, by comparison, it's only been 6 years since we've fielded a truly bad football team. I think a little perspective is in order.

Do I think we're getting everyone's best effort coaches & players? Absolutely not, and if things don't get better quickly, I obviously think some changes should be made. But we're nowhere near on the verge of doom like some of you seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMASHAQ View Post
    JoJo you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better myself. This baseball program is the mirror of UAB football right now.
    We're nowhere near UAB Football. That's an insane comparison. Our fans care far too much to be compared to them. We've been in the top 10 nationally in baseball attendance for a long time. Our fans demand excellence. You wont see many seasons like this without some major staff changes. Our fans demand it.
    Last edited by RedStar; April 2nd, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation All-American JoJoforHeisman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    But we're nowhere near on the verge of doom like some of you seem to think.
    Have you watched this team play this season? Have you seen our facilities, or the facilities anywhere else in the conference?

We just got swept by what should be the worst team in the conference. I have serious doubts as to whether we'll even win a conference series this year. That's not just one "bad season." This is an absolute train wreck, and it's going to take a lot more than you realize to rebuild.

Barring some significant changes, this situation is not going to improve anytime soon.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoforHeisman View Post
    Barring some significant changes, this situation is not going to improve anytime soon.
    What significant changes do you suggest? I think we all know that the facilities issue is at least a few years down the road. In the meantime, do you suggest changes with the assistant coaches or a total house cleaning? Or, something else entirely?

From what I understand, we do have a good class coming in, but of course, that's contingent on the June draft. UGA has as bad of a season as I've ever seen an SEC team have in 2010, and they've turned it around (to an extent; not Omaha, but they're probably back to having their name called regularly on Memorial Day). I'm hopeful that we can do the same, but of course, they have the lottery to help them.
    "I was out there on the practice field wondering whether football had passed me by. Then I heard the Million Dollar Band playing over on the practice field. When they started playing Yea Alabama, I got goosebumps all over me. I looked out there and those young rascals in those crimson jerseys and I just wanted to thank God for giving me the opportunity to coach and contribute in some small way at my alma mater."-Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American crimsonkelly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideHead View Post
    What significant changes do you suggest? I think we all know that the facilities issue is at least a few years down the road. In the meantime, do you suggest changes with the assistant coaches or a total house cleaning? Or, something else entirely?

From what I understand, we do have a good class coming in, but of course, that's contingent on the June draft. UGA has as bad of a season as I've ever seen an SEC team have in 2010, and they've turned it around (to an extent; not Omaha, but they're probably back to having their name called regularly on Memorial Day). I'm hopeful that we can do the same, but of course, they have the lottery to help them.
    UGA has the HOPE Scholarship fund at their disposal so turning it around is much easier with the few scholarships baseball has to offer. Besides UGA is usually and every other year program. They are good one year, then bad the next.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

BamaNation All-American JoJoforHeisman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideHead View Post
    What significant changes do you suggest?
    Well, Tennessee was in the same situation and went out and hired the best coach available, an established winner from a championship-caliber program. With a far less-talented roster, he just got through embarrassing us.

When Wells un-retired, Alabama made the convenient, lazy hire without even bothering to conduct any kind of search. Mal acquiesced and immediately handed the job to Coach Wells' hand-picked successor, even though he had a losing season in his last as a head coach. I'm not suggesting that Coach Gaspard cannot win consistently, but at this juncture, his colossal failure in building his staff is only helping to run the program into the ground. The talent level has plummeted since he has taken over as head coach, yet it remained strong when he was an assistant and out on the recruiting trail. Maybe that's part of the problem - we have an outstanding assistant on the staff; he just happens to be the head coach.

A .250 winning percentage against UAB? That's just ridiculous.
    Last edited by JoJoforHeisman; April 2nd, 2012 at 03:59 PM.