AL.com article...CMG says offense is a mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
What's a mystery is how this staff is employed by a DI school in a power conference.

(posted after a 4-4 game explodes on us because of the great job our 'relief' pitchers have done tonight).

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
nailed it. I don't see how you can consider it a coincidence that we've had our worst team BA in probably 30 years in the two years we've had him as a hitting coach. I'm a big Phillips fan, I loved watching him play, and I hope he eventually succeeds at coaching, but I don't think he knows what he's doing right now.

heathco9

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
dont forget about our pitching coach,pitch calling and pitch selection are terrible. you cant just sit back and call fastball after fastball for very long and get away with it for 9 innings.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
dont forget about our pitching coach,pitch calling and pitch selection are terrible. you cant just sit back and call fastball after fastball for very long and get away with it for 9 innings.
He's done a better job with that lately IMO. I would say yesterday we were probably 60/40 FB/Offspeed.

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
I wonder if Gaspard hired Andy for recruiting/PR and just assumed that he (Gaspard) could coach the hitters. WHatever it is, something's wrong.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
The team is hitting a combined .241/.323/.335.

That's not a "mystery," that's a total embarrassment. When the situation gets this bad, somebody has to be held accountable.

As if the offensive issues weren't bad enough, we're now statistically the SEC's worst pitching staff.

What is happening with our program right now is akin to what happened at Auburn under Tom Slater. Fortunately for Auburn, they built a new ballpark and upgraded their facilities before he ran the program into the ground. Although this train wreck can hardly be blamed entirely on Coach Gaspard, his decisions have only exacerbated the problem. The fact is, with such an indifferent administration and an apathetic AD, this program is set up to fail. It all starts at the top, and it's a miracle that we managed to win consistently from 1995 until 2011. Barring some truly unforeseen changes, baseball at Alabama is on the verge of joining women's basketball as a perennial loser.

heathco9

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
also do not understand why a player gets a couple of at bats and when he dont get a hit ,he gets belittled by the pitching coach and pulled for the rest of weekend. Dax needs to get a few more years of high school experience before he ruins more of our kids futures . we have players that have come within one out of the college world series sitting on the bench .some of these boys do not have a chance to get better.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
As much as I love Andy Phillips as a person, it's time to hire a good pitching coach who can recruit & let Dax go back to coaching hitters. We're no better now than we were at the end of Schollenberger's tenure.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Don't quite agree with all the doom and gloom found here about the program. I agree the hitting coach needs to be held accountable and let go if we have a bad season. I think if Gaspard gets better guys who can help him coach, he might do okay. But if he doesn't make the right call on that and his team continues to play poorly, he should be held accountable. I believe the AD cares about the baseball program, and I don't think it will allow it to be terrible. It may allow it to be mediocre to good, but not absolutely terrible. If it did, why ever get rid of Schollenberger and hire Wells.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, as far as the AD goes, lets remember, Saban wants all sports to be competitive. He seems to be a baseball fan, so maybe when he gets tired of it all, he will make the suggestion to make a change....:rolleyes:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I believe the AD cares about the baseball program, and I don't think it will allow it to be terrible. It may allow it to be mediocre to good, but not absolutely terrible. If it did, why ever get rid of Schollenberger and hire Wells.
Hootie Ingram was the AD who hired Jim Wells, not Mal Moore.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
As I recall Coach Saban played shortstop on the baseball team at Kent State? Maybe he'll get embrassed by all of this and offer some suggestions to his good friend Coach Moore.

rtr

BAMASHAQ

Scout Team
Feb 20, 2006
JoJo you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it better myself. This baseball program is the mirror of UAB football right now.

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
our coaches only had our pitchers throw fastballs in the fall camp. This is not a joke. So of course they hit well

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
Don't quite agree with all the doom and gloom found here about the program. I agree the hitting coach needs to be held accountable and let go if we have a bad season. I think if Gaspard gets better guys who can help him coach, he might do okay. But if he doesn't make the right call on that and his team continues to play poorly, he should be held accountable. I believe the AD cares about the baseball program, and I don't think it will allow it to be terrible. It may allow it to be mediocre to good, but not absolutely terrible. If it did, why ever get rid of Schollenberger and hire Wells.
I think the time to be held accountablre is now. It sounded like when he hired Andy, they were close personal friends, obviously not a qualified coach. The problem with that if it doesn't work is you have to fire them. The AD isn't going to build a $20 million stadium and be happy with the same 500 butts in the stands. Norris needs to go back to hitting, but thats not a guarantee things will get better. We need a qualified top flight pitching coach. But I don't know if CMG will be allowed to make that move. The decision to clean house may already be in the works.

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
You really think they're going to let Gaspard go after this year?

I mean, I think that's the decision that should be made, but I thought he'd get a free pass this year because of a super regional in 2010 (despite a loaded roster of draft picks underachieving through the regular season) and a regional runner-up last year (despite a team that wasn't much better than this one, but had 4 quality losses to Florida and 3 quality losses to Vanderbilt to boost up the RPI and SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.