Question: Breading recipe for veggie frying request

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Is anyone willing to share a simple cornmeal/flour based concoction for use with okra, squash, and such?

Sorry if it sounds like a beggar being choosy, but none with sugar, please.

Gracias in advance.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I just use cornmeal, salt, and pepper for okra and squash. Just cut veggie and salt and let sit on the counter and sweat for several minutes so the cornmeal sticks.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Honestly I just eye it. Maybe 1c of cornmeal, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. The key is letting the veggies sit for a few minutes so there is a little moisture on the outside before you toss in the cornmeal.

This gives a light breading on the outside. I don't like squash and okra that have a solid coating of batter on the outside. just my personal preference (and it's how mom and grand mom does it so that means it has to be right. right?) :)

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Honestly I just eye it. Maybe 1c of cornmeal, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. The key is letting the veggies sit for a few minutes so there is a little moisture on the outside before you toss in the cornmeal.

This gives a light breading on the outside. I don't like squash and okra that have a solid coating of batter on the outside. just my personal preference (and it's how mom and grand mom does it so that means it has to be right. right?) :)
We agree on this. If it's how mom did it . . . .Absolutely, 100%, flipping-a, right.

I use corn meal and Tony Chacere's seasoning. Kind of eyeballed as well, I just let the corn meal get a shade of light pink in it. And then adjust salt level after it comes out of the grease. Like above tho, Im not a huge fan of a lot of breading on veggies. Works great on eggpant as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.