Breading recipe for veggie frying request

Is anyone willing to share a simple cornmeal/flour based concoction for use with okra, squash, and such?

Sorry if it sounds like a beggar being choosy, but none with sugar, please.

Gracias in advance.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Breading recipe for veggie frying request

We use this on just about all our fried veggies, it's not just for shrimp.

http://www.ridemagazine.com/horse/ar...t-fried-shrimp
    Last edited by ddsmit; March 29th, 2012 at 01:44 AM.

BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I just use cornmeal, salt, and pepper for okra and squash. Just cut veggie and salt and let sit on the counter and sweat for several minutes so the cornmeal sticks.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    I just use cornmeal, salt, and pepper for okra and squash. Just cut veggie and salt and let sit on the counter and sweat for several minutes so the cornmeal sticks.
    I've started using a cornbread mix with good results. It has some other stuff in it besides just cornmeal and stays on the okra very well.

2003tide and dr van nostran:

So . . . what are the portions of the ingredients you guys use?

ddsmit:

Thanks for the one you linked.

Others?

BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Honestly I just eye it. Maybe 1c of cornmeal, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. The key is letting the veggies sit for a few minutes so there is a little moisture on the outside before you toss in the cornmeal.

This gives a light breading on the outside. I don't like squash and okra that have a solid coating of batter on the outside. just my personal preference (and it's how mom and grand mom does it so that means it has to be right. right?)
    Last edited by 2003TIDE; April 2nd, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Honestly I just eye it. Maybe 1c of cornmeal, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. The key is letting the veggies sit for a few minutes so there is a little moisture on the outside before you toss in the cornmeal.

This gives a light breading on the outside. I don't like squash and okra that have a solid coating of batter on the outside. just my personal preference (and it's how mom and grand mom does it so that means it has to be right. right?)
    We agree on this. If it's how mom did it . . . .Absolutely, 100%, flipping-a, right.

I use corn meal and Tony Chacere's seasoning. Kind of eyeballed as well, I just let the corn meal get a shade of light pink in it. And then adjust salt level after it comes out of the grease. Like above tho, Im not a huge fan of a lot of breading on veggies. Works great on eggpant as well.