News Article: Cecil speaks on buyouts...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Earle good read. No one can ever truly know what another person is thinking or planning, but IMO, at some point it does becomes a matter of trust and what that person leads you to believe. As for the buyout, as Cecil said, a serious suitor will find any buyout peanuts if the person they are pursuing can deliver. We have been fortunate to have Coach Saban regardless of how long his tenure might be.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Anytime "Cecil Speaks" I'm there.
Sidebar:
I saw someone mentioning the AD position the other day. I believe that Mal is going to stay as long as he can because Coach Saban likes and trusts Mal as the AD and that is a big deal imo. This goes along with the article of keeping the coach's in a healthy environment over buyout clauses.. Mal went through a terrible difficult time with the football program but we came out of the dark with upgrades, new facilities and a #1 coach. I hope that he stays healthy and enjoys the fruits of his efforts for as long as he wants to or can.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Sidebar:
I saw someone mentioning the AD position the other day. I believe that Mal is going to stay as long as he can because Coach Saban likes and trusts Mal as the AD and that is a big deal imo. This goes along with the article of keeping the coach's in a healthy environment over buyout clauses.. Mal went through a terrible difficult time with the football program but we came out of the dark with upgrades, new facilities and a #1 coach. I hope that he stays healthy and enjoys the fruits of his efforts for as long as he wants to or can.
I agree....Mal will stay a good while. He and Saban have a comfortable relationship. With the departure of Dr Witt to the Chancelors office, this is even more important.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There's no doubt that his column was a response to Timmi Brandi's spasmic flood about how stupid Bama was not to build in a buyout clause in CNS' contract. Timmi Brandi, leader of the Lilliputians...

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
There's no doubt that his column was a response to Timmi Brandi's spasmic flood about how stupid Bama was not to build in a buyout clause in CNS' contract. Timmi Brandi, leader of the Lilliputians...
Ha! When I heard Brando saying that stuff, I wondered who his target audience is for a story like that. It's been said countless times that guys like Brando, Finebaum and the rest sit with a staff of people and dream this stuff to A.) Rile up Bama fans, 'cause they know we don't take anything lying down so we'll pay attention and respond giving him ratings and more website hits. He also knows he has an audience for anyone else in the conference or any possible future opponent, it's a ray of hope that Saban might be out of their lives, so they pay attention and respond, giving him higher ratings and more website hits...
We live in an age where folks will do anything for attention, no matter how inane, hurtful or just downright tasteless.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ha! When I heard Brando saying that stuff, I wondered who his target audience is for a story like that. It's been said countless times that guys like Brando, Finebaum and the rest sit with a staff of people and dream this stuff to A.) Rile up Bama fans, 'cause they know we don't take anything lying down so we'll pay attention and respond giving him ratings and more website hits. He also knows he has an audience for anyone else in the conference or any possible future opponent, it's a ray of hope that Saban might be out of their lives, so they pay attention and respond, giving him higher ratings and more website hits...
We live in an age where folks will do anything for attention, no matter how inane, hurtful or just downright tasteless.....
That last sentence certainly describes Brandi...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The thing is that PF ribs but usually lets it go if the facts aren't on his side. Brando, on the other hand...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The number of rumors has - at least according to my attention span - DECREASED through the years. I don't mean that Roland and Clem were talking at the bait shop and one of 'em said, "Reckin' Co-atch Nick gawn go ta da Steal-uhs?" I mean genuine "rumors."

His first year they were at their apex. It just seems to me they've gone DOWN through the years. The ONE that had me a touch worried was after his first year when LSU somehow got the idea that Miles was going to Michigan and Nick would go running back to LSU in a heartbeat.

Once that didn't happen - I really haven't worried. If CNS left tomorrow - we'd be a program with a solid foundation who enjoyed one great ride through four very good to great seasons.

Texas - and I'm serious here - Texas fans here in Dallas actually think that since they can throw open the wallet and pay CNS more, he'll drop us like an old date for the new playmate.

Of course, this is why Texas NEVER had a down period without even contending for the national championship (1971-2004, only one legitimate challenge, 1977). Because they have the money to buy ANYTHING they want and can and will and blah blah blah.

I'm happy. Period.

Thanks, Earle.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The number of rumors has - at least according to my attention span - DECREASED through the years. I don't mean that Roland and Clem were talking at the bait shop and one of 'em said, "Reckin' Co-atch Nick gawn go ta da Steal-uhs?" I mean genuine "rumors."

His first year they were at their apex. It just seems to me they've gone DOWN through the years. The ONE that had me a touch worried was after his first year when LSU somehow got the idea that Miles was going to Michigan and Nick would go running back to LSU in a heartbeat.

Once that didn't happen - I really haven't worried. If CNS left tomorrow - we'd be a program with a solid foundation who enjoyed one great ride through four very good to great seasons.

Texas - and I'm serious here - Texas fans here in Dallas actually think that since they can throw open the wallet and pay CNS more, he'll drop us like an old date for the new playmate.

Of course, this is why Texas NEVER had a down period without even contending for the national championship (1971-2004, only one legitimate challenge, 1977). Because they have the money to buy ANYTHING they want and can and will and blah blah blah.

I'm happy. Period.

Thanks, Earle.
Texas was one of the feelers CNS was referring to. When he didn't bite, they extended Brown. It's the nature of Nouveau Riche to think they can buy anything, and the Texans certainly fit that mold. Bottom line, they are really pathetic - awash in talent and they can't do anything with it. However, their sense of superiority never fails them. They'll never get Saban, despite all the rumors to the contrary. They'll have to content themselves with a fading, aging Brown (who is the same age as Saban)...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Texas was one of the feelers CNS was referring to. When he didn't bite, they extended Brown. It's the nature of Nouveau Riche to think they can buy anything, and the Texans certainly fit that mold. Bottom line, they are really pathetic - awash in talent and they can't do anything with it. However, their sense of superiority never fails them. They'll never get Saban, despite all the rumors to the contrary. They'll have to content themselves with a fading, aging Brown (who is the same age as Saban)...
They actually think around here that anybody they want will just come running & do their bidding. I remember my friend (and we get along great) saying that the extension & everything was just window dressing & Dodds was gonna get Saban, I made the point that we are coming "fully" off probation in June and asked him why in the world CNS would leave right as he was really hitting his stride. Basically, they had two arguments: 1) they could pay more; and 2) the loss of the conference title game meant an easier route to championships. The delusional nature of some of them here is truly amazing. (I only hedge a tad because I heard in October 2002 in San Antonio that fRan was leaving us. But enough on that).

I remember reading a book about Coach Bryant's first year at aTM. I don't know if it was "Junction Boys" as every book about CPB features that year. But he arrived at College Station & was in a meeting with the money men for aTm. They had a list of the 20 best players in Texas and Bryant decided to test them. He asked them how many they could get. Remember - back then Rice, TCU, and other places were more prominent as well. The $ men assured him they could get all of them. CPB just rolled his eyes - he knew they'd be lucky to get ONE, but he was sizing them up. I've also heard he said it was the crookedest racket in college football here.

I will defend Mack Brown only on one point - I'm told by many here that his initial days were problematic because both McWilliams and Mackovic alienated so many high school coaches with their entitlement mentality. I'm told Mack corrected that. At the same time, why aren't there 6 mlluon stories about the "too high expectations" of Texas fans who want to replace their best coach since Darrell Royal?

One final thing: Dan Mullen is out in the byways of MS getting players from schools where nobody even looks. He's building bridges with the locals and signing autographs at small attendance games. Do not be surprised if in a year or two MSU is a divisional threat ESP with Ole Miss imploding. If he keeps it up and Muschamp flops - expect Mullen at UF. Just a note.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
And I also know that, if he wanted to go, no buyout clause would keep him around. So isn't it better all around for everyone - a happy employee and a happy employer - not to force the issue?

If a HC wants to leave, he will, even if he pays the buyout himself.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
If Saban leaves in 2019 or 2025, considering his age by then (67 and 73, respectively) - I imagine it will be into retirement.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

I'm happy. Period.

Thanks, Earle.

To be fair, our athletic department pulls in more in profit than Texas' does.

They might have more revenue, but at the end of the day we actually have more in the bank. ;p

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.