Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    I guess I just have a problem when someone cherry picks which science they choose to believe because it conflicts with their ideology.
    You're criticizing yourself, right?
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    I guess I just have a problem when someone cherry picks which science they choose to believe because it conflicts with their ideology.
    Man, I laughed out loud at that one. Multiple times. Of course, I find the humor in irony to be some of the funniest there is, especially when the irony is unintended.

Sent from my Asus Transformer using Tapatalk
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

The deniers:

BamaNation First Team Bama_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I don't know how old the earth is. Guess what? Neither does anybody else. The only real question is whether you think it was thousands, millions, or billions.

I don't know - and to tell you the truth I don't care.
    Is this what you really believe? That scientists haven't definitively proven the Earth is more than a few thousand years old?

BamaNation All-American Tider@GW_Law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Nope. But, they do recognize that, in spite of their best efforts, government is monumentally inefficient. This is true in DoD and NIH and everything else the government does, including the many bureaucracies who influence health care. Your problem is that you refuse to see the obvious.

Heh. Really? Not even close.
    I guess you proving me right on 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

I am still amazed that you have friends in every organization that comes up around these topics even after you've somehow forced the inefficiency of their employer and all manner of other political topics into your conversations with them. I can't imagine being friends with someone like that. Maybe I dodged a bullet on you never taking me up on a single invitation to grab a beer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

LOL. please apply that statement to dems and economics. or dems and gun control. or dems and crime.

if you truly had a problem with it, you would be utterly disgusted with the dem party. of course you really just hate republicans and want to only apply it to them. i'm fine with that but at least be honest with yourself as to your real motivations.

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tider@GW_Law View Post
    I guess you proving me right on 1 out of 2 isn't bad.
    Heh. Dude, you're an 0-fer. If you translate that into 1 for 2, no wonder you love government "solutions".

I am still amazed that you have friends in every organization that comes up around these topics
    You're very easily amazed. I've lived in/around DC for almost 20 years. There are hundreds thousands of government employees here. You realize that, right? You think it's hard to run into to government workers? You should have paid more attention to your surroundings when you were here. Four neighbors on my same street work for different government agencies. Reality, dude.

even after you've somehow forced the inefficiency of their employer and all manner of other political topics into your conversations with them. I can't imagine being friends with someone like that.
    And I can't imagine being friends with one so clueless about the government they worship. Government is inefficiency. When I meet up with friends/colleagues, talk of our jobs come up. (Does that amaze you too?) And it is natural to laugh at the way government does things (like, as I mentioned earlier, buying an office-full of new printers instead of just buying toner). That you seem to think government works well is a testament to how little perspective you have. I deal in how things are, not in magic pony land where the social engineers know better than everyone else.

Maybe I dodged a bullet on you never taking me up on a single invitation to grab a beer.
    Sadly (or whatever), meeting you for a beer was never a priority, and I just could never work it into my schedule.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; March 31st, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation First Team Bama_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    LOL. please apply that statement to dems and economics. or dems and gun control. or dems and crime.
    What is the science that democrats cherry pick regarding gun control and crime? I'm honestly curious.

BamaNation All-American Tider@GW_Law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You're very easily amazed. . . . Reality, dude.

Sadly (or whatever), meeting you for a beer was never a priority, and I just could never work it into my schedule.
    Ah yes of course, well you found something else that has amazed me, which is that you have 10 hours a day to spend on the internet but not an hour for a beer.

BTW: Your toner example would be a violation of govt procurement law.

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tider@GW_Law View Post
    Ah yes of course, well you found something else that has amazed me, which is that you have 10 hours a day to spend on the internet but not an hour for a beer.
    haha. Pathetic straw man, dude.

BTW: Your toner example would be a violation of govt procurement law.
    Heh. The irony is awesome! If only you had such concerns about the government violating the Constitution, costing taxpayers trillions of dollars, instead of focusing on a few thousand dollars of printers. Eh, I'll express your concerns to the branch chief in my office that made that call.

And I would hope that that kind of stupidity would be illegal. But, it happened. And while this is minor, almost daily I see tremendous waste of taxpayer money. I regularly have contractors go over budget. Why? Because the government will just pay more. It's stupid. Construction on the same 200-yard section of road on base has been going on for more than two years. Pure waste. All this should bother you. That should cause you to question your faith that the government does anything well.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; March 31st, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    Is this what you really believe? That scientists haven't definitively proven the Earth is more than a few thousand years old?
    Have they proven it is 4.6 billion and 300 days?

No.

I'm speaking theoretically.

I neither know nor care. What difference does it make?

You don't know, either - and neither does anyone else. There's just guesses and estimates.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    What is the science that democrats cherry pick regarding gun control and crime? I'm honestly curious.
    The notion that gun control REDUCES crime?

Washington DC has some of the strictest gun control laws in the land. It also has violence out the wazzuu.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The notion that gun control REDUCES crime?

Washington DC has some of the strictest gun control laws in the land. It also has violence out the wazzuu.
    Don't forget those 'gun free' zones.