Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 183
  1. #53
    BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    11,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    What is the science that democrats cherry pick regarding gun control and crime? I'm honestly curious.
    selma answered the question but I can extend it by saying that everywhere that has allowed citizens to once again have ccw, has had a drop in crime. but local politicians don't care- they would rather have an unarmed public getting preyed upon by scumbags than have a safe society where the individual can defend themselves.

    that and the fact that bamaro liked your post.

    http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html
    check the dude's book out sometime. he makes a fairly good case. lots of internet links are out there as well concerning ccw and lowering of violent crime. so it forces you to ask a very uncomfortable question- if ccw reduces violent crime, and reduces it most in violent urban areas, then why aren't politicians in those areas leading the movement to allow ccw? why is it, in fact, they are the ones usually leading the movement to outlaw guns across the board?
    Last edited by gmart74; April 1st, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation First Team Bama_Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    selma answered the question but I can extend it by saying that everywhere that has allowed citizens to once again have ccw, has had a drop in crime. but local politicians don't care- they would rather have an unarmed public getting preyed upon by scumbags than have a safe society where the individual can defend themselves.
    Yeah, I checked out a few studies. Looks like urban handguns bans haven't been very effective at reducing crime, although a couple studies found that stricter background checks did lead to a drop in homicide rates. I guess it depends on whether you consider a background check to be gun control.

    Still, I haven't really heard any national politicians, democratic or republican, advocating an "across the board" ban on guns, as you say. In fact, I'm not sure I've heard a single word about gun control from Obama. Didn't he even sign a bill that allows citizens to carry loaded weapons in national parks?

    Let's see them stinking grizzly bears try to take Cheerios from people now!

  4. #55
    BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    11,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    foxnews so it is definitely biased but it does list the various people and policies he has put into place concerning guns.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...sign-stopping/

    up here in md, most of our politicians arre deadset on diarming the public. lately we have won a few cases in the courts but it is always a struggle here.
    depending on how tight your tinfoil hat is, you can say fast and furious was all about attacking the 2nd amendment.

  5. #56
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator
    BamaNation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Well, first they're measuring the wrong thing. It's not a lack of trust in SCIENCE. It's the lack of trust in "SCIENTISTS" with obvious agendas that is the problem. And then there's that whole crowd who latch onto pseudo-science and call it science because they're ignorant.

    Science is what it is. there's a huge difference in being a scientist that wants to get at the truth - whatever that truth may be - and the scientist who has an outcome in mind and creates theories and analyzes data - or even corrupts data as has happened recently - to support the desired outcome.

    It's also kind of like the difference in a journalist who is trying to get at the truth and a journalist who is trying to save the world through their reporting. Can't really do both legitimately.
    Last edited by BamaNation; April 2nd, 2012 at 08:06 AM.

  6. #57
    BamaNation All-American Bama4Ever831's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    2,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    It's not a lack of trust in SCIENCE that is the problem. It's the lack of trust in "SCIENTISTS" with obvious agendas that is the problem. And then there's that whole crowd who latch onto pseudo-science and call it science because they're ignorant.

    Science is what it is.
    What about those that just say scientists have an agenda when the obvious results disagree with their own beliefs? It happens both ways, but I agree with you.

  7. #58
    BamaNation First Team nx4bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    So do you think conservatives are okay with the science behind evolution? Is that the straw man you're talking about? I'm not so sure. I was part of some of those no-holds-barred threads on TF and I can tell you that posts like "carbon dating is a lie!" were not exactly rare.
    doesn't carbon dating depend entirely upon a constant rate of decay for carbon? i know it seems logical to assume a constant rate, but can we prove it? how long have we been observing carbon's rate of decay? if the earth is really billions of years old, is that time frame enough to justifiably conclude that it is constant?

  8. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    14,822
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by nx4bama View Post
    doesn't carbon dating depend entirely upon a constant rate of decay for carbon? i know it seems logical to assume a constant rate, but can we prove it? how long have we been observing carbon's rate of decay? if the earth is really billions of years old, is that time frame enough to justifiably conclude that it is constant?
    This is the sort of nonsense creationist web sites wrongly try to use to discredit techniques used to date the fossil record. The short answer is that other techniques are used to date very old rocks. I won't insult conservatism by lumping it with the views held by those anti-science buffoons, but these creationists do only seem to come from one side of the political fence. Another stripe of fact-oblivious buffoons occupy the other side.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

  9. #60
    BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    11,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Science is what it is. there's a huge difference in being a scientist that wants to get at the truth - whatever that truth may be - and the scientist who has an outcome in mind and creates theories and analyzes data - or even corrupts data as has happened recently - to support the desired outcome.
    that right there is why i have almost no respect for economists. it seems like all of them have an agenda and use whatever argument they can, while ignoring all other available evidence, to make their case.

  10. #61
    BamaNation First Team nx4bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    This is the sort of nonsense creationist web sites wrongly try to use to discredit techniques used to date the fossil record. The short answer is that other techniques are used to date very old rocks. I won't insult conservatism by lumping it with the views held by those anti-science buffoons, but these creationists do only seem to come from one side of the political fence. Another stripe of fact-oblivious buffoons occupy the other side.
    first of all, that thought didn't come from a creationist website. i do have thoughts of my own. secondly, what other techniques are used to date rocks? all radiometric dating assumes a constant rate of decay. paleomagnetics assumes the poles have shifted at the same rate. no matter what methodology is used, you must operate under the assumption of constant rate of change. ASSUMING THAT THE EARTH IS BILLIONS OF YEARS OLD, we have not even observed enough change over the last 1000 years to accurately assess whether change is constant. That is .ooo1%. That would be the equivalent of me observing about 40 minutes of your life and making an assumption about the rest......

  11. #62
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    18,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    I begin to lose trust in scientist when the outcome of a study stands to make someone filthy rich.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  12. #63
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Jacksonville, Md USA
    Posts
    14,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Its absurd to believe the earth is not billions of years old.

  13. #64
    BamaNation First Team nx4bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Its absurd to believe the earth is not billions of years old.
    ok, i can play this game too..... it is absurd to live in jacksonville, md..... if all we have to do is state something is absurd to make it so, then i've got plenty more where that came from

    and for the record... i'm just making an observation, not stating anything as fact.
    Last edited by nx4bama; April 2nd, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

  14. #65
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Jacksonville, Md USA
    Posts
    14,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Conservatives trust in science has declined sharply

    Quote Originally Posted by nx4bama View Post
    ok, i can play this game too..... it is absurd to live in jacksonville, md..... if all we have to do is state something is absurd to make it so, then i've got plenty more where that came from
    Again, the science is clear.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!