Bobby Petrino Hurt In Motorcycle Accident (and more!)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Bobby Petrino Hurt In Motorcycle Accident

if they tie the relationship to prior to her employment, it will be hard to keep him on...
an affair, they can manage through the PR, but the hiring of an employee that he was having an affair with...thats on a whole 'nother level.
Keep in mind she was hired 8 (now 9) days ago...

Previous relationship? Check.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
He already admitted an 'inappropriate relationship' with her, lied to his boss ....
Oops! I missed that he admitted to a relationship. That certainly complicates things...

I don't think we ought to pack his bags just yet. The PTB will want to let things settle down rather than making a rash decision. My money would be they censure him and possibly impose some type monetary fine or salary reduction. These people are smart enough to know that they cannot find a better coach and certainly not one in April. The bottom line is unfortunately, not about right or wrong, but keeping the program at a high level.
The Arky PTBs have a tough decision to make. IMO they won't find a better game-day coach. OTOH, Petrino could have a tough time enforcing discipline without coming across as a hypocrite. And as others have noted, his in-home recruiting has to take a hit.

Whatever is decided, I suspect the distractions will cost the Hogs a couple of games this season.

aTm oughta' send a Thank-You card to the young woman.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Then you missed Dodd's point completely, too - he wasn't trying to compare them, he was contrasting them - highlighting the difference between those coaches and CBP.
Crimsonaudio,

I understand his point. He made it at the end. Problem is that he had a chance to insult CPB and he took it.

I did get his point, but the same thing was said about Saban when we got him. "How can he go into a recruit's house
and say he'll be at Alabama?"

And why is everyone saying, "Petrino can't recruit?" He inherited an 8-5 team and with mostlyl Houston Nutt
recruits he went 5-7. He has gone 8-5, 10-3, and 11-2. How anybody can say "he can't recruit" is beyond
me.

It isn't like he won with Nutt's players. His FIRST SENIORS went 11-2 and only lost to the two best teams
in the nation.

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
When I find myself in a hole, I have learned through age and experience, that the best thing to do is just to STOP digging. When you are busted, you are busted. Always better to say "yep I did it and this is the way it happened"

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
When I find myself in a hole, I have learned through age and experience, that the best thing to do is just to STOP digging. When you are busted, you are busted. Always better to say "yep I did it and this is the way it happened"
Ah yes! Been there and done that!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We kept DuBose because we had ZERO Leadership at the top, and did not have the guts or sense to fire one of "Bear's Boys" and replace him with an interim HC. August was just the convienent excuse
I concur we had zero leadership. The irony of the whole thing is that while we might have lost the SEC that year (then again, who
knows? If DuBose can win the SEC with that team, my 13-year old son who doesn't like football probably could), it would have
turned out BETTER for us in the long run.

Imagine this scenario: we can DuBose. We replace him with (pick an assistant). We tell him he's not getting the job. Then we
take a look up north and say, "That Saban kid looks pretty good."

I can dream, can't I?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was younger when the Dubose stuff happened but I'd agree that the main reason he kept his job was the timing of when the accusations were proven. He was probably a loss or two away from being fired after LaTech but they put together a great run that saved his job and made it hard to fire him. He was probably going to be let go at the end of the season because I bet most of the power brokers thought another 6-5 season was on the horizon.

He definitely should have been terminated and it certainly reaped what we sowed long term. The wheels fell off the Dubose program, sanctions, and general instability.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I still say, that even if we are looking at it with a win-first at all costs attitude, Petrino should be gone. You've got the hardest working coach in America in your division. If you are to have any chance at beating him, you are going to have to work twice as hard. This little affair proves Petrino can't do that. In that vein, it's just like DuBose. DuBose was never going to win big at Alabama (lost to La Tech when we won the SECC) and the side stuff was just a manifestation of that.

Petrino should be fired because of the ethical stuff to be sure. But he's gone anyway even if those people are looking at it through a football lens.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
We had our Petrino moment some years ago, with Price. I understand the temptation to hire the best football mind you can, while overlooking or downplaying potential character issues. But true character is everything in the head football coach of a major program. In exchange for a couple of good years, Arkansas must now dig themselves out of a hole. This also further tarnishes the good name of the SEC so soon after Auburn bought themselves a championship.

Arkansas is a great program who we rely on to win their non-conference games and thereby elevate our rankings. Without Arkansas as such a strong #3, we might not have gotten the invite to the big game last year. I hope they square away their troubles, and soon. There is nothing good can come out of this for the SEC or Alabama. I commiserate with our Hog forum buddies, and wish them the best.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was younger when the Dubose stuff happened but I'd agree that the main reason he kept his job was the timing of when the accusations were proven. He was probably a loss or two away from being fired after LaTech but they put together a great run that saved his job and made it hard to fire him. He was probably going to be let go at the end of the season because I bet most of the power brokers thought another 6-5 season was on the horizon.

He definitely should have been terminated and it certainly reaped what we sowed long term. The wheels fell off the Dubose program, sanctions, and general instability.

There was no one factor. I agree with everyone saying we had no leadership. This is not an "either/or." But canning a football coach
in August is generally not done. Ole Miss did but they knew Billy Brewer was involved in NCAA violations. Charley Pell resigned at
Florida and then they won the SEC (only to have it stripped). And Terry Bowden resigned/was fired after a 1-5 start, and he
was philandering, too, we found out later.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I still say, that even if we are looking at it with a win-first at all costs attitude, Petrino should be gone. You've got the hardest working coach in America in your division. If you are to have any chance at beating him, you are going to have to work twice as hard. This little affair proves Petrino can't do that. In that vein, it's just like DuBose. DuBose was never going to win big at Alabama (lost to La Tech when we won the SECC) and the side stuff was just a manifestation of that.

Petrino should be fired because of the ethical stuff to be sure. But he's gone anyway even if those people are looking at it through a football lens.

I think we all agree Dubious benefited from Stallings's recruitment of Shawn Alexander and Chris Samuels mostly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.