Bobby Petrino Hurt In Motorcycle Accident (and more!)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This ain't about DuBose.. This is about Petrino. Why does someone always have to hijack a thread?
I wouldn't call it hijacking. Rest assured people on other boards won't hesitate to point out how we handled our own dirty laundry. DuBose
is Exhibit A of "What Not To Do" in this situation. If Arky is smart, they'll can him. As I said earlier - what if he wins the West or SEC
this year?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If anybody should be mad about Dodd's article it is Michigan fans.

He mentions Hayes, who was fired for punching a player and had likely done similar things before. He mentions Bryant at Junction. Now, what went one there was probably not too far from being par for the course in 1954, but would get him arrested today.

But he includes Scehmbechler for using bad language? Please.

Before I get blasted, I am not condemning Bryant for what he did at Junction. Other coaches likely did what he did then and the only reason we even know about it because A&M won the SWC a few years later and Bryant came here and became a legend, Things were just done differently back then.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Recruiting is a game of inches. Coaching and managing a team of 18-22 year-olds at a high level in a white hot league like the SEC is without virtually any margin for distractions, drama, or mistrust. Moreover, Arkansas isn't on the same plateau with us, LSU, or Florida. They can rise up and compete for titles, but they don't have the tradition and in-state recruiting base that can cover for whiffs in recruiting or issues on the staff.

Most certainly, this situation will have ramifications in recruiting, will create trust issues in the locker room, and will make for a significant distraction in the head coach's personal life. Arkansas would be wise to cut the chord while their program is still at a high level and they can attract a top shelf coach. And it would probably be wise for Petrino to be forced to go someplace else and reset his career in a place far removed from the relationships, places, and circumstances that will never be the same for him if he stays.

However, if Arkansas carries an inferiority complex into this and fears that they can't find anyone better than Petrino or fool themselves into thinking he's the only one that can win big there, they will keep him and I expect their program to level out at a 7-5/8-4 or worse plateau and never do more until they make a change. By then, who knows which SEC programs will have passed them by and Petrino will be further damaged goods.

Last edited:

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011

He mentions Hayes, who was fired for punching a player and had likely done similar things before. He mentions Bryant at Junction. Now, what went one there was probably not too far from being par for the course in 1954, but would get him arrested today.

Before I get blasted, I am not condemning Bryant for what he did at Junction. Other coaches likely did what he did then and the only reason we even know about it because A&M won the SWC a few years later and Bryant came here and became a legend, Things were just done differently back then.
I consider "Dennis Dodd" to be among the most profane of terms :mad2:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Not sure what Arky could do at this point about hiring a coach, which has to weigh in Jeff Long's mind. No serious assistant or current head coach would take over a team at this point. Maybe in December, but not before...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Woody Hayes had a record of childishness that would have made Bobby Knight look like an upstanding citizen.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Recruiting is a game of inches. Coaching and managing a team of 18-22 year-olds at a high level in a white hot league like the SEC is without virtually any margin for distractions, drama, or mistrust. Moreover, Arkansas isn't on the same plateau with us, LSU, or Florida. They can rise up and compete for titles, but they don't have the tradition and in-state recruiting base that can cover for whiffs in recruiting or issues on the staff.

Most certainly, this situation will have ramifications in recruiting, will create trust issues in the locker room, and will make for a significant distraction in the head coach's personal life. Arkansas would be wise to cut the chord while their program is still at a high level and they can attract a top shelf coach. And it would probably be wise for Petrino to be forced to go someplace else and reset his career in a place far removed from the relationships, places, and circumstances that will never be the same for him if he stays.

However, if Arkansas carries an inferiority complex into this and fears that they can't find anyone better than Petrino or fool themselves into thinking he's the only one that can win big there, they will keep him and I expect their program to level out at a 7-5/8-4 or worse plateau and never do more until they make a change. By then, who knows which SEC programs will have passed them by and Petrino will be further damaged goods.
Exactly what I've been trying to say. There is no upside to keeping him, except perhaps saving this season. And by saving I mean 8-4 instead of 5-7.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Arkansas fired Jack Crowe after one game in 1992. He will be coaching against the Hogs on opening day this fall.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
Woody Hayes had a record of childishness that would have made Bobby Knight look like an upstanding citizen.
Coach Bob Knight is not just an upstanding citizen - he is an American Legend, American Icon, and someone whose character is missed in the great game of Basketball.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Coach Bob Knight is not just an upstanding citizen - he is an American Legend, American Icon, and someone whose character is missed in the great game of Basketball.
Sure. Legends with character try to stuff fans of opposing teams in trash cans all the time. I'm sure Coach Bryant did that at least once a season.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
I had the privilege of attending the Bob Knight Basketball School years ago as a young player. I learned a lot about the game, a lot about life, and felt challenged and inspired to become a better player and person.

I later had the honor of working three of those camps as my career continued past High School - and felt the same emotions, with the added appreciation of young kids who were trying to learn more about how to play Basketball, and a bit about how to play life.

Coach Knight was quite gracious, and worked those camps, unlike many Coaches who show a few minutes each day, and really just want the financial benefits. Coach Knight can be tough, is demanding, can blister your ears with some horrible language. He has made mistakes - his Puerto Rico encounter might qualify, certainly his comments on rape do. However, he is human, in a constant spotlight, and all make mistakes or say things they would love to erase.

But Coach Knight played by the rules, and his players were student-athletes. He helped most become better people, and they would attest to this. He is not unlike Coach Saban, who a large media segment also reviles at any turn, but with a more volatile temprament - maybe a cross of Woody Hayes with Nick Saban would not be a bad analogy. Not sure.

But I am sure has my respect. He was tough, and Old School Guy, maybe too tough at times. But I attended a Final Four a few years back, and made a point to seek out Coach just to thank him for the impression he made on me, and the inspiration he gave. He remembered me right away, and we chatted pleasantly for almost half an hour. You can tell the time out of Coaching has mellowed him a good deal, you can sense he might regret some things, but you also know the tough old Coach and that fire is lurking right below the surface.

He knows he is not perfect, but Coach Knight is comfortable in his skin because by and large, he did things the right way, did things his way.

But, as kids say now, "Haters gonna Hate"
:smile:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had the privilege of attending the Bob Knight Basketball School years ago as a young player. I learned a lot about the game, a lot about life, and felt challenged and inspired to become a better player and person.

I later had the honor of working three of those camps as my career continued past High School - and felt the same emotions, with the added appreciation of young kids who were trying to learn more about how to play Basketball, and a bit about how to play life.

Coach Knight was quite gracious, and worked those camps, unlike many Coaches who show a few minutes each day, and really just want the financial benefits. Coach Knight can be tough, is demanding, can blister your ears with some horrible language. He has made mistakes - his Puerto Rico encounter might qualify, certainly his comments on rape do. However, he is human, in a constant spotlight, and all make mistakes or say things they would love to erase.

But Coach Knight played by the rules, and his players were student-athletes. He helped most become better people, and they would attest to this. He is not unlike Coach Saban, who a large media segment also reviles at any turn, but with a more volatile temprament - maybe a cross of Woody Hayes with Nick Saban would not be a bad analogy. Not sure.

But I am sure has my respect. He was tough, and Old School Guy, maybe too tough at times. But I attended a Final Four a few years back, and made a point to seek out Coach just to thank him for the impression he made on me, and the inspiration he gave. He remembered me right away, and we chatted pleasantly for almost half an hour. You can tell the time out of Coaching has mellowed him a good deal, you can sense he might regret some things, but you also know the tough old Coach and that fire is lurking right below the surface.

He knows he is not perfect, but Coach Knight is comfortable in his skin because by and large, he did things the right way, did things his way.

But, as kids say now, "Haters gonna Hate"
:smile:
It's obvious that you were extremely smitten with Knight. Most are not, including, I believe, most here. At any rate, I resent any close comparison between Coach Saban and Knight, as I consider it insulting to Saban. Let me know the next time Saban makes a spectacle of himself by throwing a chair at a referee. Now, we all know where you stand and you need to give it a rest. And I mean that...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I've always been on the fence about Knight. He was a winner, played by the rules and his players graduated. But his dark side made me shudder.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've always been on the fence about Knight. He was a winner, played by the rules and his players graduated. But his dark side made me shudder.
The thread is really about Petrino and Arkansas. I'm not sure how it diverted off to a basketball coach, except, maybe, lack of impulse control. Let's bring it back to the Hogs and their coaching dilemma. Plenty of material there...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.