Bobby Petrino Hurt In Motorcycle Accident (and more!)

Grievous Angel

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2012
Re: Bobby Petrino Hurt In Motorcycle Accident

So how long until the first rumor about Saban going to Arkansas rumor comes out?
Of course they would but they would be laughed off the stage.

Arky is a program that is in love with a guy for finishing 3rd in the West. They feel like they are on top of the world, in spite of losing to Saban every stinking year. They have no self respect.

Saban wouldn't consider a place with such low expectations. Not to mention the Ozark recruiting trail.

OH MY GOD IT FEELS GOOD TO BE ELITE. Roll Tide.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

My instinct is to say we should be compassionate. Remember how we got mocked over Dubious channeling his inner Bill Clinton (and then the religious crusade of 2000?). Or how we got mocked over Price? And a season was lost?

Remember how bad the kicks felt?

Oh never mind. We're on top and they showed us no pity. I only wish he was at Auburn and thus happened. The meltdown would be a joy to watch. And as far as not kicking a man when he's down...hey, what better time?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I would be highly surprised if Petrino gets out of this with his job. If his squeeze was simply some random local or maybe even a student, I think Arkansas would take the PR hit and stand by Petrino because he wins games. This is not that case. The female was very recently employed by Arkansas and falls under Petrino's leadership. This begs to question the circumstances of how she was selected as the hire. State/federal employment laws are very serious about fair employment processes and the coach's squeeze being hired smacks of impropriety. Finally, he lied to his superiors about the wreck to cover for he and his girlfriend.

Arkansas fans believe he's going to survive this event. I guess seeing the Price debacle has made me wiser. The president, board, and school system are involved in this now. They would all be fired for these things and I don't think the "he wins games" defense is going to work anywhere outside an athletics department at any school. If an Alabama coach couldn't get away with carrying on an adulterous relationship on the university's expense AFTER Alabama was desperately looking for stability following sanctions and Fran's departure; how can one expect Petrino to survive?

If he does, it is a shameful black eye for the University of Arkansas. You can't have employees hiring their mistresses to positions that fall under his command. It's already a smear to Arkansas that he was caught in infidelity but for the mistress to be an AD employee and to lie about the wreck as cover is the coup de grâce.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

More and more arky fans are realizing that he just admitted a relationship with a subordinate - this is A Bad Thing. This alone has potential to seal his fate, before you even consider his lying to his superior(s)...

The more I look at this, the more I think Arky has no choice.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Well Arkansas State might want to get their coaching search committee ready. I'm sure Gus will be a hot name on th Arky boards.

I understand that Long tried to do some damage control and did it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, he looked horrible in the whole thing. I got the impression that he knew very little about everything from the incident to Bobby Petrino's contract to CBP's future at UA. He would have been better off to just say he put Petrino on leave and then end the presser.

Grievous Angel

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2012

As seen on another burnt orange football forum which shall not be named . .

Last edited:

tideinark

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 6, 2003
Little Rock, Ar, US
It's a firestorm here in AR. I think about 20 people hit the un-friend button on me for pointing out the facts.

Employee, subordinate equals gone. Lawyers will clean up the contract settlement. Don't know how he keeps his job. 95% of us would lose ours for the same thing. She was suppose to be married in June, what a blow for the soon to be ex-fiancee.
Too bad I'm off work tomorrow, because it sure would be fun at the office! Guess I'll have to wait until Monday.

Also, Arkansas considers their biggest rival to be Lswho. Everyone wants to beat Bama each year, just because they do doesn't mean they are rivals.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's get together the successor list:

1) Barry Switzer - wants to get back in coaching, from AR
2) Gus Malzahn - already close by & knows SEC ball
3) Mike Price - a fitting example after the last 2 guys
4) Houston Nutt - has already denied interest
5) Tommy Tuberville - but that money issue might hold him up
6) Art Briles - expect to hear his name
7) Paul Rhoads - doing better at ISU than Cheese Nip
8) Rick Neuheisel - just because...
9) Kirby Smart - oh well

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Let's get together the successor list:

1) Barry Switzer - wants to get back in coaching, from AR
2) Gus Malzahn - already close by & knows SEC ball
3) Mike Price - a fitting example after the last 2 guys
4) Houston Nutt - has already denied interest
5) Tommy Tuberville - but that money issue might hold him up
6) Art Briles - expect to hear his name
7) Paul Rhoads - doing better at ISU than Cheese Nip
8) Rick Neuheisel - just because...
9) Kirby Smart - oh well
Gary Patterson.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest problem with their coaching search will be that nobody of worth will be willing to leave their position for Arkansas right now. Arkansas' Spring camp is almost over, the same for nearly every other school. Immediately you're coming into a situation where you have to evaluate players and install an offense in just one Fall camp. Furthermore, you have to leave a school and screw them over to take the Arkansas job. This is not a reputation one is willing to take if they want to have a career beyond Arkansas some day.

I think they'll end up firing Petrino once they sort out how to get out of the contract with the least amount of buyout money. It's entirely possible that he can be fired with cause for this and receive no buyout but they need language and details to make it airtight legally. From there I assume that they will forego a replacement hire and simply name an interim head coach internally for the season. Alabama, when in this position, had to hire a new coach because an interim coach would have killed an already tenuous recruiting landscape for Alabama at the time. I don't think Arkansas' situation is so dire that they need to stand by any man to prevent people from thinking the ship is going down. They'll have a better crop of coaches to choose from in December 2012 to keep the program going longterm.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.