My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Is Recruiting Like It is Portrayed in "Friday Night Lights" Season 5?

I think some on here watched Friday Night Lights the show. In season 5, schools heavily recruit the star QB Vince Howard. For those that have seen the episodes I'm referring to, is recruiting really like that? Seems like the writers and producers over blow the recruiting process.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Is Recruiting Like It is Portrayed in "Friday Night Lights" Season 5?

I remember that episode but because I have no personal experience with a child (yet) I can't comment. I do remember thinking that Vince's dad was a jerk and reminded me of Cecil Newton. FNL was one of my favorite series. Hate that it was cancelled.

I think you'd probably get many more informed responses if you detailed how it is portrayed in the show.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    I think you'd probably get many more informed responses if you detailed how it is portrayed in the show.
    Howard is a Junior in Season 5...

In one episode, Vince Howard's father was given some cleats, shirts and other goodies from a "friend" at TMU (Texas Methodist University), which is a popular school in the state.

In another episode, Vince and his father meet with a booster of Oklahoma Tech who asks them to come for an unofficial visit. The booster has two young ladies be their tour guides for the day. During the visit, the booster takes them onto the field (this where it becomes obvious Oklahoma Tech = Oklahoma State). While on the field, the booster answers a phone call and says "yeah, we're on the field now." The football team runs out for practice. The booster tells Vince and his dad he had to take care of some business real quick. The head coach walks out of the tunnel and starts talking to the booster; he tells him that if he talks to Vince Howard that he is one of the top 2 guys on their board for the junior class and they'll be giving out offers the next week. First one to give a verbal gets the offer. He does this within 5 feet of Vince and his dad.

There's more stuff, but I can't think of it all right now. I tried to do a YouTube search for videos but couldn't find any.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Howard is a Junior in Season 5...

In one episode, Vince Howard's father was given some cleats, shirts and other goodies from a "friend" at TMU (Texas Methodist University), which is a popular school in the state.

In another episode, Vince and his father meet with a booster of Oklahoma Tech who asks them to come for an unofficial visit. The booster has two young ladies be their tour guides for the day. During the visit, the booster takes them onto the field (this where it becomes obvious Oklahoma Tech = Oklahoma State). While on the field, the booster answers a phone call and says "yeah, we're on the field now." The football team runs out for practice. The booster tells Vince and his dad he had to take care of some business real quick. The head coach walks out of the tunnel and starts talking to the booster; he tells him that if he talks to Vince Howard that he is one of the top 2 guys on their board for the junior class and they'll be giving out offers the next week. First one to give a verbal gets the offer. He does this within 5 feet of Vince and his dad.

There's more stuff, but I can't think of it all right now. I tried to do a YouTube search for videos but couldn't find any.
    In order:

1) Sort of, occasionally.

2) Yep, standard practice.

3) No.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I went back and read the synopses of the last couple of episodes when Vince is being recruited. I definitely remember his dad being modeled after Cecil Newton. I remember thinking that when I watched the episodes last year, too.