Is Recruiting Like It is Portrayed in "Friday Night Lights" Season 5?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think some on here watched Friday Night Lights the show. In season 5, schools heavily recruit the star QB Vince Howard. For those that have seen the episodes I'm referring to, is recruiting really like that? Seems like the writers and producers over blow the recruiting process.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I remember that episode but because I have no personal experience with a child (yet) I can't comment. I do remember thinking that Vince's dad was a jerk and reminded me of Cecil Newton. FNL was one of my favorite series. Hate that it was cancelled.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think you'd probably get many more informed responses if you detailed how it is portrayed in the show.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think you'd probably get many more informed responses if you detailed how it is portrayed in the show.
Howard is a Junior in Season 5...

In one episode, Vince Howard's father was given some cleats, shirts and other goodies from a "friend" at TMU (Texas Methodist University), which is a popular school in the state.

In another episode, Vince and his father meet with a booster of Oklahoma Tech who asks them to come for an unofficial visit. The booster has two young ladies be their tour guides for the day. During the visit, the booster takes them onto the field (this where it becomes obvious Oklahoma Tech = Oklahoma State). While on the field, the booster answers a phone call and says "yeah, we're on the field now." The football team runs out for practice. The booster tells Vince and his dad he had to take care of some business real quick. The head coach walks out of the tunnel and starts talking to the booster; he tells him that if he talks to Vince Howard that he is one of the top 2 guys on their board for the junior class and they'll be giving out offers the next week. First one to give a verbal gets the offer. He does this within 5 feet of Vince and his dad.

There's more stuff, but I can't think of it all right now. I tried to do a YouTube search for videos but couldn't find any.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Howard is a Junior in Season 5...

In one episode, Vince Howard's father was given some cleats, shirts and other goodies from a "friend" at TMU (Texas Methodist University), which is a popular school in the state.

In another episode, Vince and his father meet with a booster of Oklahoma Tech who asks them to come for an unofficial visit. The booster has two young ladies be their tour guides for the day. During the visit, the booster takes them onto the field (this where it becomes obvious Oklahoma Tech = Oklahoma State). While on the field, the booster answers a phone call and says "yeah, we're on the field now." The football team runs out for practice. The booster tells Vince and his dad he had to take care of some business real quick. The head coach walks out of the tunnel and starts talking to the booster; he tells him that if he talks to Vince Howard that he is one of the top 2 guys on their board for the junior class and they'll be giving out offers the next week. First one to give a verbal gets the offer. He does this within 5 feet of Vince and his dad.

There's more stuff, but I can't think of it all right now. I tried to do a YouTube search for videos but couldn't find any.
In order:

1) Sort of, occasionally.

2) Yep, standard practice.

3) No.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I went back and read the synopses of the last couple of episodes when Vince is being recruited. I definitely remember his dad being modeled after Cecil Newton. I remember thinking that when I watched the episodes last year, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.