Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC luvthat_TIDE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mo Claibornce Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

That is enough to tick anyone that has a college degree off. How can they stay eligible and possibly even getting a diploma? I don't care if the athlete plays for Alabama or Auburn/TN, just not right.
    Roll Tide

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Tide in Athens's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

I think you can just "Christmas tree" it and do better than a 4. yeesh
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
    -Linus van Pelt.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Yet another thing to consider when you hear the stories of former NFL players being completely broke. Many of them are about as far from smart as you can be. It's a shame, really.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Yet another thing to consider when you hear the stories of former NFL players being completely broke. Many of them are about as far from smart as you can be. It's a shame, really.
    I thought about the same thing when I left work earlier. Be interesting to see the Wonderlic scores of the guys that have financial troubles after signing the million dollar deals. Obviously, the Wonderlic score would not decide their financial future, but it would be an interesting number to see.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvthat_TIDE View Post
    That is enough to tick anyone that has a college degree off. How can they stay eligible and possibly even getting a diploma? I don't care if the athlete plays for Alabama or Auburn/TN, just not right.
    UGA had a FB named Andre Smith that ran all over Bama in 1984. 117 yards on 12 carries and 2 TD's in their 24-14 win over Bama. He played 2 or 3 years for UGA. Learned several years later that when he left UGA, he did not have any academic credits.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    UGA had a FB named Andre Smith that ran all over Bama in 1984. 117 yards on 12 carries and 2 TD's in their 24-14 win over Bama. He played 2 or 3 years for UGA. Learned several years later that when he left UGA, he did not have any academic credits.

"Some people think that if you drive through Athens with your window down, someone will throw a diploma in your car....Thats not true. You've got to stop first." - Lewis Grizzard
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

And before you guys go knocking too hard on "student"-athletes, a word of caution that "earning" a college degree these days is only slightly more difficult that ordering dinner at the McDonald's drive-thru. Not coincidentally, the value of said degree is about the same, too.

Simple formula: Pay your money every semester + Show up to class a few times per semester + Wait four to five years = College degree with your name on it.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; April 3rd, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

BamaNation All-American Tide in Athens's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    "Some people think that if you drive through Athens with your window down, someone will throw a diploma in your car....Thats not true. You've got to stop first." - Lewis Grizzard
    I, myself, have gotten several diplomas from UGA since it got warm enough to roll my windows town.
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
    -Linus van Pelt.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Athlete, go to your classes, take tests and all be good.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Athlete, go to your classes, take tests and all be good.
    taking tests must be optional...

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mo Claiborne Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

That's pretty good, right?
    RIP Hub

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wonderlick is very overrated in measuring anything - Dan Marino got a 16 out of 50.

In fact, the lower a TE or CB scores on the Wonderlick, the better he performs on the field, so this might actually increase Claiborne's draft value.

This is from the ESPN article...

A 2009 study by professors from Fresno State University, the University of Georgia and Towson State found no connection between Wonderlic scores and performance during the first three years of a player's NFL career. The group studied 762 players from the 2002, 2003 and 2004 draft classes.

John W. Michel, an assistant professor at Towson University who co-authored the study, told the Washington Post: "We found in no cases was cognitive ability related to (football) performance. We did find a negative relationship for tight ends and defensive backs. For defensive backs, it was the most pronounced; basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    The Wonderlick is very overrated in measuring anything - Dan Marino got a 16 out of 50.

In fact, the lower a TE or CB scores on the Wonderlick, the better he performs on the field, so this might actually increase Claiborne's draft value.
    Forget what this says about his draft potential. This is an embarrassment for higher learning. When 10 is reported as the cutoff score which suggests the taker is literate, it's kind of hard to explain a 4 by a guy who spent 3 years attending classes.
    Last edited by Hankster2; April 3rd, 2012 at 02:21 PM.