Mo Claiborne Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Have you seen the study he's referring to?

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08959280902970401

They were evaluating the Wonderlic's ability to predict NFL success.
I am expanding on that, yes. There is a reason why they have the test and of course it's not a test of your physical abilities. It was actually better for Greg when his test score came out lower than the initial report, he was now deemed smart but not so smart that he couldn't fit in. These things are taken into consideration.

But in the broader sense, this article is discrediting the test solely because people are making pitiful scores on it, why else write it? The two subjects should not be jumbled together, that's my point, and it's a common to find fault with aptitude tests these days.

Bama_Dawg

1st Team
May 17, 2005
You threw the opinion up that it's better to be dumber anyway? Explain away.
Not sure why you’re being such a .... about this. He cited a study that appeared in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. That’s a little different than “throwing up an opinion,” don’t you think? Besides, if you’ve played sports at a competitive level, you should know that, yes, sometimes it is better to be dumber. Trying to hit a baseball is a nice example. The guy who’s hitting .150 goes up there worrying about how long his stride is, if his hips are rotating too early, when his hands are rolling over, etc. But do you know what Albert Pujols is usually thinking? “I will hit this baseball.” All the intellectualizing – which can often be done with the help of coaches -- has been internalized and now it’s merely a reflexive process.

From there, it shouldn’t be much of a stretch to see how NFL cornerbacks might do better the less they think about their assignments. If it’s zone, I stay here. If it’s man, I follow this dude wherever he goes. Especially for a team that runs a lot of man, cornerback may be the most physically reflexive position of all.

Bama_Dawg

1st Team
May 17, 2005
But in the broader sense, this article is discrediting the test solely because people are making pitiful scores on it, why else write it? The two subjects should not be jumbled together, that's my point, and it's a common to find fault with aptitude tests these days.
How about this reason: because in at least two peer-reviewed studies, the Wonderlic has been shown to be a poor predictor of NFL success?

In an article about a potential top-5 player getting the lowest score ever, don't you think that information is relevant?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
How about this reason: because in at least two peer-reviewed studies, the Wonderlic has been shown to be a poor predictor of NFL success?

In an article about a potential top-5 player getting the lowest score ever, don't you think that information is relevant?
Did he graduate from college and which one? That's my thoughts :)

I already know and could care less if someone that scoreS a 4 can be a better football player than someone who scores a 20. Most anyone that could score a 20 should instinctively know this too. Physical ability is stronger than mental ability overall in the NFL although there is a balance. Another important point is that communication is not a sign of pure intellect. A person with an 80 IQ can get his point across better than many with an IQ of 130.

Why do you believe the study was made? It took some time and resources. Do you think it helped those that select the players? Certainly not. It was written for us that laugh at these wonderlic scores, to teach us that they really don't matter sometimes. But many of us are not looking at the this as an indication of success in the NFL but how these players made it through school.

So were are coming from different angles, let's just let it go at that.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Thread title:
Mo Claiborne Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

Response: How did he make it through school?

another response: Well this test says it won't make a difference in the NFL

Response: There seems to always be someone shooting down aptitude test

Response: This article is relevant, why discredit it and the poster?

Response: Because we are discussing how someone only correctly answered 4 out of 50 high school level questions and graduated college, that is the topic. Not his future in the NFL.

:) Not trying to be an

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
We are all assuming he did not just mark c for every answer. Could be he did not take it seriously since it was not supposed to be released the results that is. All I know is, if I were drafting, he would not go past number 10.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
The universities who are supposedly educating these young men should be embarrassed to turn out a student who scores anything less than a 25. Really. It ain't rocket science.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wonderlic obviously isn't tied 1:1 with on-field performance, and like anything else, there are exception - but the NFL uses it because, on average, it gives you valuable insight as to how that player will perform overall. Heck, have you seen some of the NFL play books?

Debating singular data points is silly in stuff like this, but be sure the NFL teams have forgotten more about how to most efficiently invest millions of dollars into future players than anyone here has...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If we held the "standard" of a student-athlete to where we should there'd be a signficant drop in quality of play. I'm not suggesting we don't but I'm just saying I very seriously doubt Mo is a rare case. I'd venture to say there are A LOT of elite players, who make the quality of college football what it is in our conference, that have no business in a college classroom.
It would be interesting to see how much money ESPN doles out to the Ivy League.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I graduated with a girl that carried a 4.0 GPA all the way through school, but couldn't score higher than a 13 on the ACT. She got in college. Got a degree. Now she's a lawyer. Some people just don't do well on tests.

I think we make too much of this wonderlic test. It's not like the guys that score perfect or near perfect go on to transcend the league or anything. Seems to me that Claiborne is good enough to cover a receiver. That's all any team will probably be worried about.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I graduated with a girl that carried a 4.0 GPA all the way through school, but couldn't score higher than a 13 on the ACT. She got in college. Got a degree. Now she's a lawyer. Some people just don't do well on tests.

I think we make too much of this wonderlic test. It's not like the guys that score perfect or near perfect go on to transcend the league or anything. Seems to me that Claiborne is good enough to cover a receiver. That's all any team will probably be worried about.
The only position where I've heard about it's actually coming into play is QB...

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I think we make too much of this wonderlic test. It's not like the guys that score perfect or near perfect go on to transcend the league or anything.
But it's entertaining to poke fun at the dunderheads who can barely spell their own names whilst still being able to play lights-out ball. Sad and embarrassing, but fun nonetheless. ;)

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
Have you not been out of your house lately? The dumb people are everywhere. Worst of all, they find each other and make more dumb people. Natural selection can only do so much. :(
I get out of the house daily and interact with these dumb people. They are the best part of my day. Laughter is the secret to a long life.:)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Have you not been out of your house lately? The dumb people are everywhere. Worst of all, they find each other and make more dumb people. Natural selection can only do so much. :(
I've read some pretty good arguments that natural selection no longer plays a role in the human world. However, we're slanting towards NS...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.