Mo Claiborne Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
Just gave my daughter a sample Wonderlic last night; for fun on my end, she hated it. She scored a 5 out of 50. Of course, she was just about answer the 9th question before time was up. And two of the questions she missed deal with fractions and multiplication/division, so it combined several new concepts for her. And she is 9...and she is dyslexic. The dyslexia is her issue, she had to read each question several times through to grasp what it was asking (common with dyslexics) and that took up time. That was the part she hated.

To be fair to Mo and the others, the questions on the sample I used were just about to jack up in complexity when time ran out. On the other hand "When rope is selling for .10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for .60?" is a 3rd grade homework problem. Seriously, it is.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What I'm reading on other sports boards (both LSU and non-LSU boards) is he has a learning disability (dyslexic). But one thing is very consistent is I've yet to read one bad thing about the kid. It seems he is a very humble, head on shoulders right, well raised young man.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I know this much, if I were a team in the market for a shutdown cornerback... I'd feel more comfortable making a multi-million dollar investment in a kid with a learning disability with good character who works hard to overcome his deficiency, and makes good decisions off the field as opposed to the kids out there getting arrested for marijuana or getting into bar fights.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
What I'm reading on other sports boards (both LSU and non-LSU boards) is he has a learning disability (dyslexic). But one thing is very consistent is I've yet to read one bad thing about the kid. It seems he is a very humble, head on shoulders right, well raised young man.
I was going to add that to my post right above yours. Any chance he is dyslexic and was never taught any coping skills? Schools often make accommodations for dyslexics, particularly when it comes to test taking. An example is my daughter can have tests (certain tests, still not clear on some that are pending) read to her. Otherwise she would spend the majority of the test time trying to read the questions. Have my daughter read a passage and then read/answer questions and she is horrible. Her brain wastes all its power on the reading side and it doesn't retain anything, she will literally look up with a blank face and have no clue what she just read out loud. Read her a passage and she will answer 9 out of 10 correctly. Teach her something verbally and she sucks it up like a sponge and retains it.

I should have finished the thought. Perhaps accommodations were made for him all along the way when it came to test taking, but not by the NFL. Maybe, like my daughter, he struggled just to read the questions and used up all his time.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Note: Morris Claiborne notched more interceptions in 2011 than he did points on the Wonderlic.
Is that a good thing or bad thing?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Note: Morris Claiborne notched more interceptions in 2011 than he did points on the Wonderlic.
Is that a good thing or bad thing?
If you're hiring him to do surgery on you then I'd say you've got a problem. If you've hired him to shut down the other team's top receiver then you're in good hands. We're all ignorant just in different areas. We all can look like knuckle draggers if put in the right situation. I can talk debits, credits, and financial statements all day long and sound very intelligent. But start talking to me about vehicle motors, plumbing or A/C units and you wouldn't hire me to pour water out of boot.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
My grandson was dyslexic. I say was because he has conquered the problem which was discovered in a battery of tests he was given in the second grade. In those tests he graded at a First grade level in Reading. In Vocabulary, however, he was deemed to be at a Twelfth grade plus 6 months level!

We knew about the vocabulary at a much earlier age. When he was 18 months old, he kept disobeying his mother one day to the point he got his butt blistered. That, of course, means answering to dad that evening. Most kids at that age when asked why they continued to do something they were asked not to do would probably give out the, "Duh, I don't know" answer. My grandson answers, " I misjudged what my mother's reaction would be."

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Basic Intelligence is a culturally biased opinion. The "intelligence" to send a man to the moon vs the making a balsa wood boat with no tools can both be looked on as equally great achievements as they both create the necessary vehicle to stimulate the communities through intelligence.
Let me give you some of my culturally biased opinion. He scored 4, he ain't real smart.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I graduated with a girl that carried a 4.0 GPA all the way through school, but couldn't score higher than a 13 on the ACT. She got in college. Got a degree. Now she's a lawyer. Some people just don't do well on tests.

I think we make too much of this wonderlic test. It's not like the guys that score perfect or near perfect go on to transcend the league or anything. Seems to me that Claiborne is good enough to cover a receiver. That's all any team will probably be worried about.
If she carried a 4.0 GPA, I'd say she usually did pretty well on tests. ;)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Originally Posted by CapstoneTider Basic Intelligence is a culturally biased opinion. The "intelligence" to send a man to the moon vs the making a balsa wood boat with no tools can both be looked on as equally great achievements as they both create the necessary vehicle to stimulate the communities through intelligence.
Let me give you some of my culturally biased opinion. He scored 4, he ain't real smart.
Lol.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The Wonderlick is very overrated in measuring anything - Dan Marino got a 16 out of 50.

In fact, the lower a TE or CB scores on the Wonderlick, the better he performs on the field, so this might actually increase Claiborne's draft value.

This is from the ESPN article...
I don't know about tight ends but it makes sense for a DB in a way. After all you want a DB to react rather than think. If he thinks he's mostly likely gonna get burnt.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If she carried a 4.0 GPA, I'd say she usually did pretty well on tests. ;)
You would think.

Many courses base their mark strictlyon papers though, without holding any tests or exams, so I suppose one can "studiously" avoid them.

Most of my undergrad courses were like that, in fact.

Miraculously, I did surprisingly well in the LSAT - which, back then, was a 6 hour exam - enough to help get me into a top law school.

Even though I had a knot in my gut the whole time, and I left there thinking I'd blown it...

Hard to say what happened with Claiborne, especially after reading the various opinions in these posts...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
You would think.

Many courses base their mark strictlyon papers though, without holding any tests or exams, so I suppose one can "studiously" avoid them.

Most of my undergrad courses were like that, in fact.

Miraculously, I did surprisingly well in the LSAT - which, back then, was a 6 hour exam - enough to help get me into a top law school.

Even though I had a knot in my gut the whole time, and I left there thinking I'd blown it...

Hard to say what happened with Claiborne, especially after reading the various opinions in these posts...
I would venture to say it is a learning disability with regard to his reading. But who knows? If he truly is a good kid like what I've read I wish him the best and hope he can find some help for any LD he may have. Because lord knows he'll be able to afford it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.