Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Recipes
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by HartselleTider View Post
    The scholarly study done by the professors on the correlation between Wonderlic and NFL success makes sense. How does a low Wonderlic actually identify the better cornerbacks?

Because cornerback isn't an analytical position. It's a position based on technique, reflex, athletic ability, fluidity of hips, COD, and recovery speed. A high score on the Wonderlic is just as much of a red flag as a low score, particularly for CB's. It means you're subject overthink instead of react, thus not playing the game to your full speed.

Darrelle Revis only scored a 10.

I think items like this are where Gardner's Mulitiple Intelligence Theory in psychology gets it's strongest reliability and viability. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Morris Claiborne was the best CB in college football last year? The NFL wants shutdown cornerbacks, not chemists. Kids like Claiborne score high in a different type of intelligence... bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

Emmitt Smith couldn't even put a coherent sentence together, which is why he was fired from ESPN.

I think it's also important to understand that the Wonderlic wasn't designed to be administered on athletes. There's a lot of word association, logic and reasoning on it, not necessarily a predictor, but more of a benchmark. A lot of players score high on these type of tests but can't play football to save their life.

It appears that Morris Claiborne was one of the few at LSU that never got into trouble or follow the crowd. He was a good kid who made good decisions both on and off the field. Perhaps he has a learning disability? Maybe test anxiety? Some of the most intelligent and successful people on the planet suffer from test anxiety.

I won't be surprised when this kid is a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate by the end of his rookie season.
    Thanks!!!!
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

2. Advertisement

Re: Mo Claiborne Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    The fact that the scores are to be held strictly confidential leads me to believe that some guys who are projected to go high don't take it too seriously. Every year something embarrassing like this leaks out, and every year somebody gets fired because of it
    I can't envision how anyone going through the draft process could not take any aspect seriously. It would seem that you would be mentally stimulated being on the verge of signing a potential million $ contract and incapable of not taking something seriously that is part of the process. Not taking a portion seriously would be as great or greater red flag than the score on the wonderlic test . Plus you have counsel and an agent. I would think that most of the potential draftees would be hyper serious. IMO.

This is different from strategically skipping tests or combines which is usually orchestrated by your selected council.

BamaNation First Team

Re: Mo Claibornce Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    You can find a sample of the Wonderlic online--ESPN I think has a sample. In fact, one of the questions was "what is the 9th month of the year?"
    HA! Its a trick question...doesn't say what year.
    Geaux Purple...and Gold.......and Green?

BamaNation First Team lazlohollyfeld's Avatar

Just gave my daughter a sample Wonderlic last night; for fun on my end, she hated it. She scored a 5 out of 50. Of course, she was just about answer the 9th question before time was up. And two of the questions she missed deal with fractions and multiplication/division, so it combined several new concepts for her. And she is 9...and she is dyslexic. The dyslexia is her issue, she had to read each question several times through to grasp what it was asking (common with dyslexics) and that took up time. That was the part she hated.

To be fair to Mo and the others, the questions on the sample I used were just about to jack up in complexity when time ran out. On the other hand "When rope is selling for .10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for .60?" is a 3rd grade homework problem. Seriously, it is.
    Last edited by lazlohollyfeld; April 4th, 2012 at 09:03 AM.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

What I'm reading on other sports boards (both LSU and non-LSU boards) is he has a learning disability (dyslexic). But one thing is very consistent is I've yet to read one bad thing about the kid. It seems he is a very humble, head on shoulders right, well raised young man.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

I know this much, if I were a team in the market for a shutdown cornerback... I'd feel more comfortable making a multi-million dollar investment in a kid with a learning disability with good character who works hard to overcome his deficiency, and makes good decisions off the field as opposed to the kids out there getting arrested for marijuana or getting into bar fights.

BamaNation First Team lazlohollyfeld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    What I'm reading on other sports boards (both LSU and non-LSU boards) is he has a learning disability (dyslexic). But one thing is very consistent is I've yet to read one bad thing about the kid. It seems he is a very humble, head on shoulders right, well raised young man.
    I was going to add that to my post right above yours. Any chance he is dyslexic and was never taught any coping skills? Schools often make accommodations for dyslexics, particularly when it comes to test taking. An example is my daughter can have tests (certain tests, still not clear on some that are pending) read to her. Otherwise she would spend the majority of the test time trying to read the questions. Have my daughter read a passage and then read/answer questions and she is horrible. Her brain wastes all its power on the reading side and it doesn't retain anything, she will literally look up with a blank face and have no clue what she just read out loud. Read her a passage and she will answer 9 out of 10 correctly. Teach her something verbally and she sucks it up like a sponge and retains it.

I should have finished the thought. Perhaps accommodations were made for him all along the way when it came to test taking, but not by the NFL. Maybe, like my daughter, he struggled just to read the questions and used up all his time.
    Last edited by lazlohollyfeld; April 4th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

Note: Morris Claiborne notched more interceptions in 2011 than he did points on the Wonderlic.
    Is that a good thing or bad thing?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    Note: Morris Claiborne notched more interceptions in 2011 than he did points on the Wonderlic.
    Is that a good thing or bad thing?
    If you're hiring him to do surgery on you then I'd say you've got a problem. If you've hired him to shut down the other team's top receiver then you're in good hands. We're all ignorant just in different areas. We all can look like knuckle draggers if put in the right situation. I can talk debits, credits, and financial statements all day long and sound very intelligent. But start talking to me about vehicle motors, plumbing or A/C units and you wouldn't hire me to pour water out of boot.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

My grandson was dyslexic. I say was because he has conquered the problem which was discovered in a battery of tests he was given in the second grade. In those tests he graded at a First grade level in Reading. In Vocabulary, however, he was deemed to be at a Twelfth grade plus 6 months level!

We knew about the vocabulary at a much earlier age. When he was 18 months old, he kept disobeying his mother one day to the point he got his butt blistered. That, of course, means answering to dad that evening. Most kids at that age when asked why they continued to do something they were asked not to do would probably give out the, "Duh, I don't know" answer. My grandson answers, " I misjudged what my mother's reaction would be."

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

One line playbook.

"We kickoff at 7:00. Be there."

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Even worse, they vote.
    Please, let's don't go there on the football forum. I'd hate to see this thread closed down because someone though their side was smarter than the other side...

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Basic Intelligence is a culturally biased opinion. The "intelligence" to send a man to the moon vs the making a balsa wood boat with no tools can both be looked on as equally great achievements as they both create the necessary vehicle to stimulate the communities through intelligence.
    Let me give you some of my culturally biased opinion. He scored 4, he ain't real smart.
    RIP Hub