Mo Claiborne Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Mo Claibornce Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

Yeah I'm not sure how he was able to stay eligible.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I think some of you guys are greatly overstating the difficulty involved in keeping someone eligible. These days a player almost has to intentionally make himself academically ineligible.

You stick a kid in cupcake classes with ridiculous grade inflation, i.e. classes where 95% or more of the grades given out are A's, and it takes no real effort or intelligence on the part of the "student."

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

True, programs also spend lots of money to have tutors in the classes the athletes attend and take notes for them. Thy get lots of help. A 4 is still ridiculous. They ask questions like what is the 3rd month of the year etc.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

You can find a sample of the Wonderlic online--ESPN I think has a sample. In fact, one of the questions was "what is the 9th month of the year?"

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

I think some of you guys are greatly overstating the difficulty involved in keeping someone eligible. These days a player almost has to intentionally make himself academically ineligible.

You stick a kid in cupcake classes with ridiculous grade inflation, i.e. classes where 95% or more of the grades given out are A's, and it takes no real effort or intelligence on the part of the "student."
In other words, you can be a complete imbecile and still remain academically eligible.

Some of these kids have no clue how important a good education is until it's too late.

This kid is going to get taken advantage of by a Sports Agent............and not even realize it until many years later.:rolleyes:

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004

That is enough to tick anyone that has a college degree off. How can they stay eligible and possibly even getting a diploma? I don't care if the athlete plays for Alabama or Auburn/TN, just not right.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

Yet another thing to consider when you hear the stories of former NFL players being completely broke. Many of them are about as far from smart as you can be. It's a shame, really.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yet another thing to consider when you hear the stories of former NFL players being completely broke. Many of them are about as far from smart as you can be. It's a shame, really.
I thought about the same thing when I left work earlier. Be interesting to see the Wonderlic scores of the guys that have financial troubles after signing the million dollar deals. Obviously, the Wonderlic score would not decide their financial future, but it would be an interesting number to see.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

That is enough to tick anyone that has a college degree off. How can they stay eligible and possibly even getting a diploma? I don't care if the athlete plays for Alabama or Auburn/TN, just not right.
UGA had a FB named Andre Smith that ran all over Bama in 1984. 117 yards on 12 carries and 2 TD's in their 24-14 win over Bama. He played 2 or 3 years for UGA. Learned several years later that when he left UGA, he did not have any academic credits.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

UGA had a FB named Andre Smith that ran all over Bama in 1984. 117 yards on 12 carries and 2 TD's in their 24-14 win over Bama. He played 2 or 3 years for UGA. Learned several years later that when he left UGA, he did not have any academic credits.

"Some people think that if you drive through Athens with your window down, someone will throw a diploma in your car....Thats not true. You've got to stop first." - Lewis Grizzard

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

And before you guys go knocking too hard on "student"-athletes, a word of caution that "earning" a college degree these days is only slightly more difficult that ordering dinner at the McDonald's drive-thru. Not coincidentally, the value of said degree is about the same, too.

Simple formula: Pay your money every semester + Show up to class a few times per semester + Wait four to five years = College degree with your name on it.

Last edited:

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)

"Some people think that if you drive through Athens with your window down, someone will throw a diploma in your car....Thats not true. You've got to stop first." - Lewis Grizzard
I, myself, have gotten several diplomas from UGA since it got warm enough to roll my windows town.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.