Mo Claiborne Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Mo Claibornce Notched a FOUR on the Wonderlic

Athlete, go to your classes, take tests and all be good.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The Wonderlick is very overrated in measuring anything - Dan Marino got a 16 out of 50.

In fact, the lower a TE or CB scores on the Wonderlick, the better he performs on the field, so this might actually increase Claiborne's draft value.

This is from the ESPN article...

A 2009 study by professors from Fresno State University, the University of Georgia and Towson State found no connection between Wonderlic scores and performance during the first three years of a player's NFL career. The group studied 762 players from the 2002, 2003 and 2004 draft classes.

John W. Michel, an assistant professor at Towson University who co-authored the study, told the Washington Post: "We found in no cases was cognitive ability related to (football) performance. We did find a negative relationship for tight ends and defensive backs. For defensive backs, it was the most pronounced; basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed."

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
The Wonderlick is very overrated in measuring anything - Dan Marino got a 16 out of 50.

In fact, the lower a TE or CB scores on the Wonderlick, the better he performs on the field, so this might actually increase Claiborne's draft value.
Forget what this says about his draft potential. This is an embarrassment for higher learning. When 10 is reported as the cutoff score which suggests the taker is literate, it's kind of hard to explain a 4 by a guy who spent 3 years attending classes.

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Only in our country will we keep digging and manipulating until we can come up with dumb ='s better. Very sad.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Only in our country will we keep digging and manipulating until we can come up with dumb ='s better. Very sad.
There is always going to be a counter attack to anything that makes a minority or a less fortunate look badly.......this article is just that. We need to ask how an athlete could only answer 4 out of 50 questions correctly yet obtain a college degree from a state school and nothing else.

Last edited:

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Well, anything other than basic intelligence. ;)

RTRFanatic

All-SEC
Aug 8, 2009
I don't know how accurate the sample test questions are, but they are far easier than anything I ever encountered on any of my college exams.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well, anything other than basic intelligence. ;)
Basic Intelligence is a culturally biased opinion. The "intelligence" to send a man to the moon vs the making a balsa wood boat with no tools can both be looked on as equally great achievements as they both create the necessary vehicle to stimulate the communities through intelligence.

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
The Wonderlick doesn't imply that it measures football potential, just basic cognitive and reasoning skills. I wouldn't assume that a 16 would preclude a person from being a great football player. I would assume however that someone who scored a 4 couldn't cut it in a college curriculum for a semester, let alone 3 years.

Think about it. The Wonderlic is mostly multiple choice and timed at 12 minutes for 50 questions. The math says that you need to guess 16 questions to get a 4. The only explanation that I can see for not scoring higher is that you have to dedicate too much time to reading the questions. Otherwise, just answer "C" for everything. You'll probably get at least a 10.

Don't forget, by the time these guys take the Wonderlic at the combine, they've probably taken 50 or so practice versions and have been schooled in "how" to take it.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The Wonderlick doesn't imply that it measures football potential, just basic cognitive and reasoning skills. I wouldn't assume that a 16 would preclude a person from being a great football player. I would assume however that someone who scored a 4 couldn't cut it in a college curriculum for a semester, let alone 3 years.
Dan Marino has also been successful off of the football field.

Roger Penrose is one of the greatest mathematicians of the last few centuries years yet he almost failed high school mathematics because he couldn't do the arithmetic fast enough.

Historians tend to score the highest on the Wonderlic so that should show what sort of utility it truly has.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
Queue the NCAA student-athlete commercial where the girl asks, "Still think we're just a bunch of dumb jocks?"

Yes. Yes we do.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If we held the "standard" of a student-athlete to where we should there'd be a signficant drop in quality of play. I'm not suggesting we don't but I'm just saying I very seriously doubt Mo is a rare case. I'd venture to say there are A LOT of elite players, who make the quality of college football what it is in our conference, that have no business in a college classroom.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If we held the "standard" of a student-athlete to where we should there'd be a signficant drop in quality of play. I'm not suggesting we don't but I'm just saying I very seriously doubt Mo is a rare case. I'd venture to say there are A LOT of elite players, who make the quality of college football what it is in our conference, that have no business in a college classroom.
And that goes for players that wear Crimson. I know we have Barrett Jones and Greg McElroys, but we also have our share of guys that wouldn't have gotten to school without their athletic ability.

Seeing Claiborne's score makes me wonder if he played off natural talent or did he grasp the playbook? If he can understand the complexities of a football playbook, can he not do well enough on the Wonderlic?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.