Invisibility Cloaks coming soon! (Batteries not included)

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Apparently the Army and other people have started developing "invisible" camo that works pretty much like Harry Potter or the Predator. Pretty cool, or maybe just creepy:

http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/16/canadian-helps-soldiers-disappear/?hpt=hp_c4

click the link to see the picture, it won't let me paste it here (or I don't know how)

That something better could be Quantum Stealth, a material that renders the target completely invisible by bending light waves around it, even removing its shadow entirely.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Unfortunately a "uniform" of this stuff would cost at least $1000. It also runs on batteries. (not sure where I read that, but I did)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
They've been working on this for a while now, I would like one for epic pranking fun.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
My husband won't have to buy one. He is often invisible, but only after consuming many beers.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Psh...cloaking devices have been around since the 60s. I know, because I saw them on Star Trek. And as John Fogerty once sang, "I know it's true, 'cause I saw it on TV..." :biggrin2:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I'd be surprised if they came in under a million.
I don't know about a million, but I could certainly see it being around there. Apparently the current versions they have are only good in static conditions, so someone moving around would look like a picture running around the woods until they stopped again, but they are developing stuff that adapts seamlessly as you move.

The technology comes from experimentation with tanks. BAE developed a way to make tanks "invisible" to IR devices. Hexagonal plates which can change temp quickly are fixed to the tank hull and copy the heat signature of it's surroundings. So when you look at this tank through IR goggles it simply looks like a bunch of trees. Or the panels can be manipulated so you see a car instead of a tank.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...tank-becomes-invisible-night-infrared-sensors

Now I don't expect this to be standard equipment anytime soon because (just IMO and not knowing anything else) it would be hard to juggle with other protective equipment like reactive armor, cages, etc. And technology is renowned for failing on the battlefield, like the GPS. Still, any day now I expect Crysis to come to life with frozen aliens attacking LA and whatnot ;) .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.