2012 Crown Jewel Countdown - Part I - 26-23

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
2012 brings yet another crop of star-studded signees to Tuscaloosa . This comes as no surprise as Nick Saban has clearly established such success as being nothing more than an annual routine . This class includes quality players at every position and is particularly strong on the defensive side of the equation with 5 new defensive linemen , 5 linebackers and 4 defensive backs . The Tide was also able to land a high profile kicker . On offense , Alabama brings in 1 quarterback , 2 running backs , 4 receivers and a tight end . There are 3 offensive linemen included as well , but one could eventually end up moving over to the defensive line at some point . This does provide some genuine cause for concern since in a perfect world many to most schools would prefer to sign at least 4 offensive linemen each and every year . One immediate and already available option would be talented freshman defensive line signee Alphonse Taylor who is already enrolled and participating in Spring practice . If not , the Alabama coaching staff could always end up heading back to the JUCO circuit in search of the next James Carpenter in order to eliminate any upcoming gap along the offensive front .

1 (26) OL/DL - Caleb Gulledge - 6'4" 270
Prattville HS - Prattville , AL
Alabama-Mississippi All-Star participant .
ASWA 6A All-State selection .

Overview: Gulledge is the latest addition from the pipeline than has become Prattville High School . He committed early on in the process after having received an official offer before his junior season . He’s a rangy kid who played on both sides of the ball in high school . Caleb chose Alabama over Florida State .

What he brings: Gulledge is an intelligent player with good technique . He’s versatile and uses his hands extremely well which can help him on either side of the line of scrimmage .

2012 Outlook: Caleb’s versatility , much like former Prattville star and Alabama lineman Kyle Tatum , could prove to be a big plus or it could tremendously hinder him due to the lack of having a true position . However , his intelligence could allow for him to pick up the playbook quickly enough to possibly become a viable option if a rash of injuries were to hit the offensive front . That said , the most likely and best case scenario for Gulledge would be redshirting this year while applying his lunch pail work ethic towards adding more mass .

His film brings back memories of former Tiders Paul Hogan and , to a lesser extent , Kyle Tatum .

1 (25) DL - Dakota Ball - 6'1" 280
Pepperrill HS - Lindale , GA
GSWA 2A All-State selection .
Under Armour All-America participant .

Overview: With the recent departure of Nick Gentry it's ironic that Alabama coaches managed to sign a player who is pretty much identical as Ball is solid combination of run stuffer and inside pass rusher . Dakota chose the Tide over offers from Georgia , Tennessee , South Carolina , Georgia Tech and Clemson .

What he brings: As indicated above , some of the same intangibles recent Bama grad Nick Gentry brought to the field will be seen from Dakota Ball . He’s simply a slightly larger version of Gentry . He's tenacious at the point of attack , a relentless pass rusher who uses his hands and pad level to gain leverage . Ball is able to fend off blockers very well for a player of his size .

2012 Outlook: With all of the defensive line depth already on campus it will be a tall order for Dakota crack the rotation at any point this Fall . While a redshirt season is expected , there is a slim opportunity for Ball to become an instant factor inside on passing downs .

On film Dakota has the look of former Tiders Nick Gentry and Jarrett Johnson .

2 (24) K - Adam Griffith - 5'10" 175
Calhoun HS - Calhoun , GA
GSWA 2A All-State selection .
Semper Fidelis All-America participant .

Overview: Griffith is a kid with a powerful leg who committed to Alabama early in the process . In much the same manner as the backup quaterback is often the most popular man on campus , Adam has drawn heavy interest from eager fans ever since the 2011 kicking debacle of missed kick after missed kick against LSU . Needless to say , his arrival is much anticipated . Griffith selected Alabama over Georgia , LSU and Vanderbilt .

What he brings: Griffith has a huge leg . His leg strength appears to be on par with Cade Foster’s coming out of high school , only better along with more accuracy . In addition , he gets the ball up quickly and puts a good deal of hang time on his kicks .

2012 Outlook: With 2 incumbent kickers on campus , it’s tough to see where Griffith will fit in right away . He could likely perform at a higher level place kicking than Cade Foster , but Foster’s size and experience as a linebacker make him a better last line defender in the event that kick coverage breaks down . Adam might be an immediate improvement in terms of combined accuracy and strength over Jeremy Shelley , but when it comes down to crucial kicks Shelley has a huge edge in experience . However things shake out , be it August or on into the early part of the season , the competition should make each player better . A redshirt season is probable .

Adam will remind fans of Ryan Pflugner and the more recently departed Jamie Christensen .

2.5 (23) OL - Brandon Hill - 6'5" 345
St. George's HS - Collierville , TN
2A All-State selection .

Overview: Hill is a mammoth offensive tackle in need of across the board conditioning and develpement as his stature alone was more than enough to assure success on the high school level , but is not nearly enough to close any deals in the SEC . Brandon pledged his services to Alabama over offers from Georgia , Mississippi State , Ole Miss and Kentucky .

What he brings: Size , size and more size . Brandon does not have the best footwork in the world right now and is generally lacking when it comes to overall athleticism and technique .

2012 Outlook: While one can never completely count a player out , Hill is a near lock to redshirt this season while dedicating his time to conditioning and more conditioning .

Brandon is built similarly to current Tider DJ Fluker and should somewhat remind fans of former offensive tackle Will Cuthbert .

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think the bottom three order is about right.

Playing MMQB, I would have Hill a bit higher just because of the upside due to his raw size, but realistically you can't move him up too much higher. Massive size or not, he's a long-term project and he's got some academic issues to overcome first.

Anyway, I don't think you'll see him at tackle. I think if we can get him on campus we'll try to get him at guard and turn him into a road grader. Herman Johnson type prospect. I just don't see the foot speed to play outside in this league unless he gets a lot quicker after dropping some weight.

As for Gulledge, we've got to get him a definite spot somewhere. Don't want to see him go the way of Tatum or Justin Britt.

I'll disagree, though, with Griffith having a hard time getting on the field this fall. In my book, if he can't get some meaningful playing time this fall, that probably tells us that he's as big of a bust as Foster and Smith were. I don't expect him to beat out Shelley for the job on short kicks, but there is no reason why he shouldn't get on the field on kick-offs and long field goal attempts.

Last edited:

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
I think the bottom three order is about right.

Playing MMQB, I would have Hill a bit higher just because of the upside due to his raw size, but realistically you can't move him up too much higher. Massive size or not, he's a long-term project and he's got some academic issues to overcome first.

Anyway, I don't think you'll see him at tackle. I think if we can get him on campus we'll try to get him at guard and turn him into a road grader. Herman Johnson type prospect. I just don't see the foot speed to play outside in this league unless he gets a lot quicker after dropping some weight.

As for Gulledge, we've got to get him a definite spot somewhere. Don't want to see him go the way of Tatum or Justin Britt.

I'll disagree, though, with Griffith having a hard time getting on the field this fall. In my book, if he can't get some meaningful playing time this fall, that probably tells us that he's as big of a bust as Foster and Smith were. I don't expect him to beat out Shelley for the job on short kicks, but there is no reason why he shouldn't get on the field on kick-offs and long field goal attempts.
I completely agree with just about everything here. I don't think if Griffith doesn't see the field this year then he's a bust but I could easily see him on kickoffs and long FGs if he get enough time to show his stuff. Hill is a BIG project but his upside is great. Gulledge needs a definite spot or a BJ Scotting he will go. Good start to the Crown Jewel. I bet I know who's number one

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I completely agree with just about everything here. I don't think if Griffith doesn't see the field this year then he's a bust but I could easily see him on kickoffs and long FGs if he get enough time to show his stuff. Hill is a BIG project but his upside is great. Gulledge needs a definite spot or a BJ Scotting he will go. Good start to the Crown Jewel. I bet I know who's number one
I'm not 100% sure but I think we were unanimous on number 1.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You know you have a great class when of the bottom 3 one was considered the best in the nation at his position and an All-American, another was an All-American and the 3rd was 6A All-State and represented Alabama against Mississippi in the all-star game. For many other SEC teams they would have been the best in their class. Wow.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
If Griffith doesn't see the field it very well could be because Foster, Smith and Shelley are stepping up because of the better competition.
Smith transferred out three years ago, and as much I'd like for him to prove me wrong, Foster seems to be a lost cause. Shelley is great at what he does in the short-range game, but a 5'5 and 140 pound guy isn't going to suddenly develop a massive leg. It just is what it is.

Besides, it's not like they haven't had competition before Griffith arrived.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Please tell me yall are just a bit late in getting this out and are not gonna make us wait 6 more weeks to get them all. Pretty please, can I have my recruiting fix now? :)

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I really look forward to the potential of Brandon Hill. With a couple of years in the weight room, and toning his foot work and skills, he could be a staple in the OL. You can't teach size and speed. The comparison in size to DJ Fluker is exciting. DJ was still very raw when he first came to AL, and I think most expect him to be drafted pretty high assuming he has a solid year.

I know kickers never get a lot of hype or high ratings, but I wouldn't be surprised for Adam Griffith to beat out one or both of the current duo. I do love Cade Foster on KO coverage, but touchbacks are the best coverage. If Griffin shows some accuracy, he could handle the long FG's and possibly all FG's.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I really look forward to the potential of Brandon Hill. With a couple of years in the weight room, and toning his foot work and skills, he could be a staple in the OL. You can't teach size and speed. The comparison in size to DJ Fluker is exciting. DJ was still very raw when he first came to AL, and I think most expect him to be drafted pretty high assuming he has a solid year.

I know kickers never get a lot of hype or high ratings, but I wouldn't be surprised for Adam Griffith to beat out one or both of the current duo. I do love Cade Foster on KO coverage, but touchbacks are the best coverage. If Griffin shows some accuracy, he could handle the long FG's and possibly all FG's.
Fluker is only a Junior actually. He could come back for another year though most doubt that he will.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

DJ was a little raw but he was a 5-star, #1 rated OT in the nation and a concensus top 10 overall recruit coming out of HS. While Brandon does compare in size he was not near as highly rated coming out of HS (3-star). I think Brandon does have potential to be a very good player but I think he is going to need some time to develop his footwork, strength, maturity, etc. I'm not sure he will be starting by his redshirt freshman year like DJ did.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I saw Hill play against the school I teach at here in Memphis. The guy was huge compared to all the other kids around him. He made some of the largest guys on our team look tiny. The school he plays for uses the wishbone and he was pretty much a road grater. Lots of run blocking and straight ahead, hit the guy in front of you type of blocking. He was honestly just bigger than everybody else and you couldn't get around him.

I would like to see how he develops, but, as has been mentioned before, he will have to learn the system and get in the weight room. I'm rooting for him and hope he can make an impact. I just don't know if that impact will be immediate.

Good luck to him!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Please tell me yall are just a bit late in getting this out and are not gonna make us wait 6 more weeks to get them all. Pretty please, can I have my recruiting fix now? :)
GVT , I've been hesitant to post anything to this point , but feel I'm past due in doing so . I've been caring for an Alzheimer's patient , 24/7 , for what is now right at 2.5 years . As you may imagine it makes abiding by any schedule flimsy at best . The next installment will actually hit the board in just a few minutes , but I've worked on what should never take more than an hour to put together since Tuesday . I've found that ear plugs are often my best option :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.