Andre Ware's top 5 returning CFB QBs

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I'm starting to think that this whole system issue is why so many new quarterbacks are having a hard time in the NFL. I think Murray will be fine. I think AJ might make it. I think if you run anything more exotic than the West Coast offense in college, you're doomed at the next level.
Cam did darn good in year one.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
One year of one player isn't a good example. You have to look at other QBs that would be classified as "system" QBs or as Prof said QBs of "more exotic" West Coast offenses.

I believe my reference was to offenses more exotic than the West Coast. WC quarterbacks - Stafford and Rodgers - do just fine.

Hard to judge Cam based on one year. The thing that distinguishes him is that he has a cannon for an arm. Gus didn't run the Air Raid offense that allowed weak-armed qbs - remember Leach wanted Greg McElroy - to throw the ball all over the field and go for 5000 yards passing. I think it will be telling to see how Cam does with progressions, but if he can nail that down and lose the happy feet, he might have a very successful career.

Going to be very interesting to see how a quarterback like RGIII does. I think the idea of mobile quarterbacks will always be important, but given the speed and size of NFL defenses, it's going to be hard to make your bread and butter on that. Another reason why SEC quarterbacks are better suited to the NFL if - IF! - they have the arm strength to handle it.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Mcnabb ran the option at Syracuse and turned out pretty good. Dalton at Cincy had a nice rookie season and he ran alot at TCU. Alex Smith came out of the Utah offense and was almost in the Super Bowl last season.
Not hard to judge Cam based on one year. He was on a terrible team and still played well.

The top three QB's in the draft will be Texas High School products and aren't the "better suited" SEC QBs. One thing you do learn from the SEC is if a QB can take a hit.

I look for AJ to have a good enough season that he leaves for the NFL next spring.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mcnabb ran the option at Syracuse and turned out pretty good.
Other successful option QBs?

Alex Smith came out of the Utah offense and was almost in the Super Bowl last season.
He was a bust until CJH got there and coached him properly. He was on the verge of being released. Before this season, he was considered one of the worst starters in the league.

Not hard to judge Cam based on one year. He was on a terrible team and still played well.
One year is not a good sample. If he has one good year out of an 8 year career, did he succeed? Nope. You need more than one season to made that assessment.

The top three QB's in the draft will be Texas High School products and aren't the "better suited" SEC QBs. One thing you do learn from the SEC is if a QB can take a hit.
A flawed statement here. You look at the touted QBs in the SEC, and you see them on the practice field. The SEC QBs that will do well in the NFL aren't in the draft.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Richard Todd was an option QB that did ok. Flacco ran some kind of option or zone read at Delaware and is having a nice career so far. Troy Aikman ran the option for Oklahoma and broke his leg.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Richard Todd was an option QB that did ok. Flacco ran some kind of option or zone read at Delaware and is having a nice career so far. Troy Aikman ran the option for Oklahoma and broke his leg.
Prof and I are talking about the 2012 NFL. I don't see Richard Todd suiting up to play for anyone. Times have changed from Todd's times, even Aikman's time.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I believe my reference was to offenses more exotic than the West Coast. WC quarterbacks - Stafford and Rodgers - do just fine.

Hard to judge Cam based on one year. The thing that distinguishes him is that he has a cannon for an arm. Gus didn't run the Air Raid offense that allowed weak-armed qbs - remember Leach wanted Greg McElroy - to throw the ball all over the field and go for 5000 yards passing. I think it will be telling to see how Cam does with progressions, but if he can nail that down and lose the happy feet, he might have a very successful career.

Going to be very interesting to see how a quarterback like RGIII does. I think the idea of mobile quarterbacks will always be important, but given the speed and size of NFL defenses, it's going to be hard to make your bread and butter on that. Another reason why SEC quarterbacks are better suited to the NFL if - IF! - they have the arm strength to handle it.

RGIII is not just a mobile QB, he has a great arm, and his accuracy is awfully good to go along with it...
...not to mention he throws one of the prettiest long balls i've seen.

he should be just fine, if he continues to develop his already great talents.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Prof and I are talking about the 2012 NFL. I don't see Richard Todd suiting up to play for anyone. Times have changed from Todd's times, even Aikman's time.
If you are in 2012, then look to Texas high schools and their superior product.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.