Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
1. Matt Barkley
2. Geno Smith
3. A.J. McCarron
4. Denard Robinson
5. Aaron Murray

From College Football Live on ESPN

Has Arky fans to say the least a little unhappy. But based on returning QBs on what they did last year I could argue for 4 of them. Barkley I have no issue with. mcCarron did win the BCSNC and Robinson and Smith both won BCS games. Murray I am not sure and if it is based on performance T Wilson was not good in the big games and L Jones either.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
1. Matt Barkley
2. Geno Smith
3. A.J. McCarron
4. Denard Robinson
5. Aaron Murray

From College Football Live on ESPN

Has Arky fans to say the least a little unhappy. But based on returning QBs on what they did last year I could argue for 4 of them. Barkley I have no issue with. mcCarron did win the BCSNC and Robinson and Smith both won BCS games. Murray I am not sure and if it is based on performance T Wilson was not good in the big games and L Jones either.
Wilson is going to get labeled a "system QB." Interestingly, it might not be a system they run much longer. :biggrin2:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Wilson is going to get labeled a "system QB." Interestingly, it might not be a system they run much longer. :biggrin2:
I'm starting to think that this whole system issue is why so many new quarterbacks are having a hard time in the NFL. I think Murray will be fine. I think AJ might make it. I think if you run anything more exotic than the West Coast offense in college, you're doomed at the next level.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
Wilson had all the weapons around him, atleast in the WR group and supposedly one of the best offensive minds around. Atleast better at that than driving a motorcycle and picking his riders. 8)

Murray I think the jury is still out atleast in my mind. Actually I would put Bray ahead of Wilson and Murray. He did great with what he had until he got hurt.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I'm starting to think that this whole system issue is why so many new quarterbacks are having a hard time in the NFL. I think Murray will be fine. I think AJ might make it. I think if you run anything more exotic than the West Coast offense in college, you're doomed at the next level.
Much to Dan Mullen's chagrin, CNS has been saying that for awhile now. He hasn't come out and said "system QBs can never make it in the NFL", because that wouldn't be true, but he has said it makes it harder on NFL teams to evaluate the QBs in question.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think Ware has Geno Smith too high. not even going to comment on Robinson at 5
Geno will put up big numbers in Year 2 of Holgerson's system. Not saying he's deserving of a Top 5 rating, but he'll put up Top 5-like numbers.

Denard is an athlete that can throw well enough to play QB. He's not a Top 5 QB. Top 5 Athlete? Sure.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
For a QB Ark was better than LSU in my opinion. The OL were not much different. LSU had a better running game but Ark had far better WRs.
LSU's oline was way better than Arkansas'. Ark started two freshman tackles throughout the year. LSU lead the conference or was just behind Bama in sacks allowed. I know part of that is Arkansas throws a lot but they had a very inexperienced line coming last year. Which is why I knew we were going to kill them.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Geno will put up big numbers in Year 2 of Holgerson's system. Not saying he's deserving of a Top 5 rating, but he'll put up Top 5-like numbers.

Denard is an athlete that can throw well enough to play QB. He's not a Top 5 QB. Top 5 Athlete? Sure.
I watched ESPN's Spring Blitz yesterday and Danny Kannell had his top three and then the best of the rest.

1. Barkley
2. A. Murray
3. Geno Smith

Best of the rest included 8 other QB's with Wilson, Robinson and McCarron included. He said you have to include AJ due to his showing in the NC game and he has a ring.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Geno Smith is going to shine this season. People have to remember the turbulence WVU endured with coaching changes. Their waxing of a pretty decent Clemson defense which singlehandedly got their DC fired is evidence to where they're going to be in 2012. This is the same offense Okie State used with great success in the Big-XII.

I'd say Barkley, Wilson, Smith are the three best starting quarterbacks returning in that order. After that there is a group of guys who have performed well and seem poised to make the next step like McCarron and guys who have looked good at times but may have gotten injured or struggled a bit during the season like Bray and Murray. Also, guys like Denard Robinson who doesn't fit into the typical mold of quarterbacking but is still a threat for big plays.

McCarron is going to get the title-winning quarterback bump especially considering his throws were the catalyst to Alabama's victory. I'm still tepid on putting him in the top quarterback discussion until the season starts. He has the individual tools and the players around him to put up numbers but something tells me he may not make the huge numbers to keep him in the discussion. We are a balanced offense and we typically close up shop in the passing game when the game is in control.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I watched ESPN's Spring Blitz yesterday and Danny Kannell had his top three and then the best of the rest.

1. Barkley
2. A. Murray
3. Geno Smith

Best of the rest included 8 other QB's with Wilson, Robinson and McCarron included. He said you have to include AJ due to his showing in the NC game and he has a ring.
It is hard to keep a guy off the list with his regular season numbers THEN to have his best game as a Quarterback/Leader be the biggest game of all, the National Championship Game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think Geno Smith is going to shine this season. People have to remember the turbulence WVU endured with coaching changes. Their waxing of a pretty decent Clemson defense which singlehandedly got their DC fired is evidence to where they're going to be in 2012. This is the same offense Okie State used with great success in the Big-XII.

I'd say Barkley, Wilson, Smith are the three best starting quarterbacks returning in that order. After that there is a group of guys who have performed well and seem poised to make the next step like McCarron and guys who have looked good at times but may have gotten injured or struggled a bit during the season like Bray and Murray. Also, guys like Denard Robinson who doesn't fit into the typical mold of quarterbacking but is still a threat for big plays.

McCarron is going to get the title-winning quarterback bump especially considering his throws were the catalyst to Alabama's victory. I'm still tepid on putting him in the top quarterback discussion until the season starts. He has the individual tools and the players around him to put up numbers but something tells me he may not make the huge numbers to keep him in the discussion. We are a balanced offense and we typically close up shop in the passing game when the game is in control.
I agree he want have the huge numbers like some will but I think AJ's completion percentage and TD/Int ratio will be his measuring stick, and the biggest being number of wins. AJ threw for over 2600 yards in 13 games his sophomore year and McElroy holds the school season record of 3000+ yards (senior year) so it is possible AJ could break the season record (especially if he plays in 14 games) and this would also be a measuring stick.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I agree he want have the huge numbers like some will but I think AJ's completion percentage and TD/Int ratio will be his measuring stick, and the biggest being number of wins. AJ threw for over 2600 yards in 13 games his sophomore year and McElroy holds the school season record of 3000+ yards (senior year) so it is possible AJ could break the season record (especially if he plays in 14 games) and this would also be a measuring stick.
I thought Greg barely missed throwing for 3k, and that he would have been the first in school history with 3K.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm surprised they didn't keep McElroy in during the Capital One Bowl to get that achievement. Admittedly, I believe they brought him out for the drive and tried a 20 yard pass to Julio that went incomplete then they brought the starting skill guys out. He might have persuaded coach for one shot at it before Saban went into building experience for 2011 mode.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.