Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15 - Bobby Petrino FIRED

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Re: Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15

he took a risk...it didn't work out...at the time anything seemed better than nutt...taking the high road may have been a better way to put it...but he did the right thing in this situation and i found that pleasently suprising.
I hear you. I commend him for doing the right thing, too. I just don't think you can hire a guy who's willing to walk out on his team in the middle of the season and pretend to be surprised when he's disloyal. Or, hire a known serial liar and pretend to be surpirsed when he lies. It may have been worth the risk at the time. I will say that I don't think anybody in the WORLD could have foreseen him having the rocks to hire his mistress for a position that reports directly to him. And, in the end, that's probably what did him in.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

He was referring to Auburn's flirtation with Patrino while he was at Louisville and Tubby was still at the barn.
Oh. That completely slipped my mind. However, I doubt even Auburn would touch those damaged goods.
I would think Petrino will have to cool his heels for a couple of years, perhaps as an assistant in the NFL, before he has any chance at a head coach again at a decent, smaller college.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

I hear you. I commend him for doing the right thing, too. I just don't think you can hire a guy who's willing to walk out on his team in the middle of the season and pretend to be surprised when he's disloyal. Or, hire a known serial liar and pretend to be surpirsed when he lies. It may have been worth the risk at the time. I will say that I don't think anybody in the WORLD could have foreseen him having the rocks to hire his mistress for a position that reports directly to him. And, in the end, that's probably what did him in.

some peoples blind spots are pretty big actually hahah...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Code:
Arkansas certainly took the high road on this one. As difficult as it is, it will probably cost them two or three games this fall with an interim at the helm. They do have talent, so they could bounce back quickly with the right coach. But, they can't wait too long in finding a leader because the SEC recuiting wars are not going away.
No other choice could me made. I spoke with one of the 'Broyles' clan a couple of times in the past week and knew the only Q was when. (just had to sit on it till 'when' happened. ) Too many old-school PTB forced Long's hand. Next coach will surprise some but, shouldn't.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They have the assistants under contract. Their best way to salvage 2012 is to keep them and promote from within. A national coaching search is doomed to commitment them to a bottom shelf choice at this point in the calendar. I would feel very heavy hearted as a Hog fan if they rush into a long term hire here.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Wow. That little episode is gonna cost him millions. Hope it was worth it. I suppose he will be an assistant somewhere outside the SEC, or maybe an assistant in the NFL. Either way, it is a big step back for a guy that had everything going his way. I agree with others on here; he possibly could have survived except for two things: getting involved with a direct report and lying to the AD. Either one is grounds for dismissal.
Your comment about the cost reminded me about a "saying" a pastor of mind used to make. He said " sin will take you where you do not want to go, keep you longer than you want to stay, and cost you more than you want to pay."

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

Code:
No other choice could me made. I spoke with one of the 'Broyles' clan a couple of times in the past week and knew the only Q was when. (just had to sit on it till 'when' happened. ) Too many old-school PTB forced Long's hand. Next coach will surprise some but, shouldn't.
Prolly going to be John gruden .. just saying.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

Here's Petrino's statement (from http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/10/reports-bobby-petrino-fired-at-arkansas/related/)

I was informed in writing today at 5:45 p.m. that I was being terminated as head football coach at the University of Arkansas.

The simplest response I have is: I’m sorry. These two words seem very inadequate. But that is my heart. All I have been able to think about is the number of people I’ve let down by making selfish decisions. I’ve taken a lot of criticism in the past. Some deserved, some not deserved. This time, I have no one to blame but myself.

I chose to engage in an improper relationship. I also made several poor decisions following the end of that relationship and in the aftermath of the accident. I accept full responsibility for what has happened.

I’m sure you heard Jeff Long’s reasons for termination. There was a lot of information shared. Given the decision that has been made, this is not the place to debate Jeff’s view of what happened. In the end, I put him in the position of having to sort through my mistakes and that is my fault.

I have hurt my wife Becky and our four children. I’ve let down the University of Arkansas, my team, coaching staff and everyone associated with the Razorback football program. As a result of my personal mistakes, we will not get to finish our goal of building a championship program. I wish that I had been given the opportunity to meet with the players and staff prior to this evening’s press conference and hope that I will be given the opportunity to give my apologies and say my goodbyes in person. We have left the program in better shape than we found it and I want the Razorback Nation to know that it is my hope that the program achieves the success it deserves.

My sole focus at this point is trying to repair the damage I’ve done to my family. They did not ask for any of this and deserve better. I am committed to being a better husband, father and human being as a result of this and will work each and every day to prove that to my family, friends and others.

I love football. I love coaching. I of course hope I can find my way back to the profession I love. In the meantime, I will do everything I can to heal the wounds I have created.

I want to thank Chancellor Gearhart, Jeff Long, the Board of Trustees, the University administration, faculty, staff, students, alumni and fans for the opportunity to serve as the head football coach at the University of Arkansas for the past 4 years. I was not given an opportunity to continue in that position. I wish that had been the case, but that was not my decision. I wish nothing but the best for the Razorback football program, the University and the entire Razorback Nation.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Yep, Granny Holtz is coming out of retirement!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

That's a pretty good statement. Assuming it is not total bs. Either way as far as prepared written statements that is one of the best I've ever read.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The next step is finding Jesus followed by "The Redemption Tour," coming soon to a football team near you. I say this as a Christian but one who has watched this dog & pony show too many times.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I agree that Long did the right thing. However...he hired Petrino from Atlanta while the Falcon's still had three games left to play. Petrino didn't even finish the season. He didn't care much about Bobby's disloyalty then. And, Petrino has a long and distinguished history of lying to his employers. Long pretty much set himself up for some sort of bad ending with Bobby. Long didn't seemed concerned about Bobby's dishonesty wehn he hired him. He can't pretend to be shocked about all of this now. He knew who he was hiring.

So, I'm going to hold off on proclaiming Long a man of integrity.
Could not agree more, nice post Catfish. They hired a known scum bag, they don't deserve the kudos for integrity because they finally owned up to it and fired him

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Could not agree more, nice post Catfish. They hired a known scum bag, they don't deserve the kudos for integrity because they finally owned up to it and fired him

Really? Prior to this incident, I certainly viewed CBP as a man who would jump at a new paycheck, but scum bag? That debases the term.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.