Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15 - Bobby Petrino FIRED

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
Re: Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15

I assume this is not possible, but can Tyler Wilson look at entering the NFL Supplemental Draft? No idea what it takes to enter that. This sure could hurt his stock, if the team struggles. I agree, while I commend Arky for the firing, they should have known when they hired him there was a real good chance it would end very badly.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.

Oh. That completely slipped my mind. However, I doubt even Auburn would touch those damaged goods.
I would think Petrino will have to cool his heels for a couple of years, perhaps as an assistant in the NFL, before he has any chance at a head coach again at a decent, smaller college.
I wouldn't bet on that. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that CBP will be the first coach *U calls when they decide to dump Chizik, assuming he's still available.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
They have the assistants under contract. Their best way to salvage 2012 is to keep them and promote from within. A national coaching search is doomed to commitment them to a bottom shelf choice at this point in the calendar. I would feel very heavy hearted as a Hog fan if they rush into a long term hire here.
One of the coaches Arkansas has on contract is the brother of Bobby Petrino...
Awkward if he isn't settled with and sent packing.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
A couple of things...

Someone asked if Wilson could enter the supplemental draft because of this, and the answer is yes. Due to a coaching change in such a way, the NFL would grant him a waiver. I highly doubt that he would do that though...

AS for everyone's comments on Butch Davis... Although I see why some people would be hesitant to hire him, anyone who thinks he's luck he doesn't have a "show cause" penalty didn't follow things closely. He was never named in any wrong doing at UNC, and although the things happened on his watch...he was never held at fault. The university just decided to part ways because they cleaned out the whole football branch of the athletic dept. in one fell swoop. So if Arkansas wants to hire him, I think it would be a great hire...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Question for Legal Eagles -- What about the Asst S&C Coach??

It's more than curious to me that the other woman's fiancee, and assistant S&C coach, has been totally ignored by the talking heads, and deafeningly silent himself.

Given Petrino's former power to skirt University HR rules, I think it's safe to assume he could have hired or fired anybody on the S&C staff. So no matter what the org chart said, the poor fellow reported up through to Petrino. At least until a few hours ago.

Imagine your fiancee doing....whatever....with your boss's boss.

While engagement, even one publicly declared on Facebook, doesn't carry any legal status that I'm aware of, I'm sure such a claim would play well in front of a jury. I don't know if he has legal cause of action, but in the court of male egos, he certainly does. If I were on a jury, I'd sure find in his favor.

So to all the Labor & Employment litigators out there: Assuming there are no material mitigating factors in Petrino's favor that haven't yet come to light -- and you'd have to assume he would have made sure they were out there if they existed at all -- does the S&C coach have a potential legal claim?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Question for Legal Eagles -- What about the Asst S&C Coach??

Ryan Mallet has gone to Twitter to campaign for Garrett McGhee. And the two UAB fans cried.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Question for Legal Eagles -- What about the Asst S&C Coach??

The Extension Center Board is very worried he'll bolt to Arkansas. I'm sure they'll blame Paul Bryant, Jr., if he does. With the 100 or so threads they have on there gushing about him (and they say we have man crushes on Saban), it would be hilarious to see their meltdown if he did go.

However, I think they'll promote a current staffer as an interim, unless a really big name can be had right now. But McGee would be a fool to turn the job down or not even talk to them about the job.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see where the fiance has a case. He didn't suffer any monetary loss (outside of anything spent planning the wedding or non refundable deposits) and his gripe would be with Jessica, not the coach. And her pockets are not nearly as deep as Patrino's. He wouldn't get a dime out of me on a jury, and I'm a guy. This was actually a huge break for him, as he avoids a marriage based on a lie.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Apparently, Petrino knew he was done for when he was asked if he had any defense for his actions. "De-what?" Petrino said, as if his questioner had suddenly started speaking in an obscure foreign language.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.