Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15 - Bobby Petrino FIRED

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just remember everybody - while this was NOT child abuse, the rules forever changed with the Penn State saga. No school now can afford the long-term hit of such bad PR. Penn Stare will not recover for 15 years IMHO. Arky needs to get on with the future and sacrifice one bad year now for some better ones later on.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15

Good for Arky. I have a lot of respect for them, they did the right thing. Integrity is needed more in the work place these days.
+1 I never liked Petrino - regardless of any skill he may possess as a football coach --- for me he's always been a poor role model for student athletes. Good riddance!

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.

What a difference a week makes. First hearing of this story I felt sorry for him, even wished him well. Now I think he got what was coming to him. Moral of the story, wait for the entire story, first impressions are often wrong.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

sec west rival flushing their season down the toilet out of necessity....while i may admire their decision (and i do...i commend the A.D's integrity)........ill take the clearest path to atlanta i can find...

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011

I wonder if this might make the Chizik Seat a little warmer? :pDT_001:

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

Arkansas certainly took the high road on this one. As difficult as it is, it will probably cost them two or three games this fall with an interim at the helm. They do have talent, so they could bounce back quickly with the right coach. But, they can't wait too long in finding a leader because the SEC recuiting wars are not going away.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
They did the right thing. Who cares if what he did has nothing to do with football? He was representing the university and deserves to face the consequences

Sent from my EVO with Tapatalk
It has everything to do with football. You can't ask your players behave one way, hold them to a high standard and behave a different way yourself.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Not a hog fan but I hate for them to have to go through this. With his age, Arky could've been good for a long time.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

sec west rival flushing their season down the toilet out of necessity....while i may admire their decision (and i do...i commend the A.D's integrity)........ill take the clearest path to atlanta i can find...
I agree that Long did the right thing. However...he hired Petrino from Atlanta while the Falcon's still had three games left to play. Petrino didn't even finish the season. He didn't care much about Bobby's disloyalty then. And, Petrino has a long and distinguished history of lying to his employers. Long pretty much set himself up for some sort of bad ending with Bobby. Long didn't seemed concerned about Bobby's dishonesty wehn he hired him. He can't pretend to be shocked about all of this now. He knew who he was hiring.

So, I'm going to hold off on proclaiming Long a man of integrity.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

I agree that Long did the right thing. However...he hired Petrino from Atlanta while the Falcon's still had three games left to play. Petrino didn't even finish the season. He didn't care much about Bobby's disloyalty then. And, Petrino has a long and distinguished history of lying to his employers. Long pretty much set himself up for some sort of bad ending with Bobby. Long didn't seemed concerned about Bobby's dishonesty wehn he hired him. He can't pretend to be shocked about all of this now.
He knew who he was hiring.
he took a risk...it didn't work out...at the time anything seemed better than nutt...taking the high road may have been a better way to put it...but he did the right thing in this situation and i found that pleasently suprising.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

Apparently Dave Wannstedt is in the mix.

And Davis has let ARK know that he'd take the job if offered.
Butch Davis is lucky he doesn't have a show cause on his resume. I can't see Arkansas taking that chance. Plus, I don't think he's anywhere near the gameday/development coach that Petrino is. I also don't think his recruiting is all that great, if he's not in a place like Miami. He tailed off after the first couple of years at UNC.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA

Not the best outcome for Alabama. I preferred that they conjure up a reason to keep Petrino.

Somewhere in the wilderness there's a fat guy hiding his "T" hat and practicing "Wooooo PIG!!"

Or Jimmy Johnson? An Arky alum...

Or Wingnut?

It'll be interesting...

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Not a hog fan but I hate for them to have to go through this. With his age, Arky could've been good for a long time.
Do you think any of the Arkansas fans hated it for us when Alabsma fired Mike Price in the off season? The karma train has made stops in Knoxville and Fayetteville..... who's next? All aboard...toot toot :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.