Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15 - Bobby Petrino FIRED

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Re: Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15

I wonder if Long was the one behind the Petrino hire. If so, given that he hired a guy with character problems who put the school in a position to be sued, it might explain why long was so emotional in the press conference. He's kind of the one holding the bag now and might be next.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

I kind of feel sorry for the good Arky fans/posters in all of this as well as the players. BP just now realizes he has hurt so many, give me a break, he just didn't care until he got caught. Hire your concubine when another 159 applied, give her $20 grand (probably to set up an out of the way apartment), lie to your bosses along with his track record of Louisville and Atlanta. That's not someone who cares about others. On the other side, Arky should still win at least 8 games if not more with what they have, even with a interim staff. I can't see a new coach coming in now and changing the system most players have been under for at least 3 years especially with the talent that is already there.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
One of the coaches Arkansas has on contract is the brother of Bobby Petrino...
Awkward if he isn't settled with and sent packing.
Brother might hang around during the interim, but no way he can remain after they hire their future coach. If he plays it right, he might get a nice package to move on.

Thinking about their future, I am wondering about Tubby. Ears is not going to contend for national championships at Texas Tech and I believe he is from Arkansas. Depending on the contractural oblications with Tech, it would not surprise me to see him take a serious look. Arkansas could do worse.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good job Piggies on doing the right thing.

Might be the perfect time for them to make the switch to hiring a defensive coach because surely they know they are never going to beat CNS and contend for the west without a much better defense.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I wonder if Long was the one behind the Petrino hire. If so, given that he hired a guy with character problems who put the school in a position to be sued, it might explain why long was so emotional in the press conference. He's kind of the one holding the bag now and might be next.
I see it like this: Long had a clear-cut opportunity to cut the cord with Petrino due to a clear violation of his contract, thus no buyout or settlement required.

IF he had retained Petrino (with some lesser disciplinary measures), the fear would be that recruiting would suffer somewhat, his focus would be diminished due to family and personal life issues, and his relationships with players, assistant coaches, and the community at large would become more awkward, leading to a dropoff in the on-field result. At that point (because you didn't fire the guy when you had an easy out on his contract), getting rid of him would cost millions.

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.

If we take up enough money here can we put it all together and buy Les Miles a motorcycle and a lady friend?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Petrino might want to get a new job soon. He might just need the money to hire a divorce lawyer. Or is Tammy Wynnett playing in his wife’s head right now?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Petrino might want to get a new job soon. He might just need the money to hire a divorce lawyer. Or is Tammy Wynnett playing in his wife’s head right now?
I'm sure he's got the money to handle a divorce lawyer.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

From what has been insinuated by insiders on ESPN and ESPN Radio today, Long was behind the Petrino hire, but it wasn't as shady as it seemed to the public. Not sure why there's always so many secrets when it comes to stuff like this. Either way, they made it sound like Arkansas wanted Petrino, but didn't necessarily want him at that second, they were willing to wait for him to finish up the season at Atlanta, instead Petrino said he was ready to start immediately.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Really? Prior to this incident, I certainly viewed CBP as a man who would jump at a new paycheck, but scum bag? That debases the term.
I have no issues with jumping at a paycheck, but it's how you do it

He promised Arthur Blank and the Falcon's that he wasn't going to talk to Arky then left a note in the locker room and had a press conference in Arkansas. He was not even there 1 full season

He wanted to get back to college coaching and Tommy Tuberville gave him a high profile coordinator gig and let him off the leash enough to parlay it into his first head coaching gig. So Louisville takes a chance on a coordinator with his first HC job. He goes back to L'ville (he was an assistant there once) and without even completing his first season with them he is secretly meeting with Auburns top people to help screw over the guy that gave him his big high profile break.

Yes, to me this is a scum bag....

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Code:
No other choice could me made. I spoke with one of the 'Broyles' clan a couple of times in the past week and knew the only Q was when. (just had to sit on it till 'when' happened. ) Too many old-school PTB forced Long's hand. Next coach will surprise some but, shouldn't.
Do tell...

I'm guessing Barry Switzer for the win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.