*** QB Cooper Bateman Commits to Alabama *** (See Page 18)

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Re: QB Cooper Bateman Updates

HUH?? Are you trying to say that unless they grew up & played in Texas, you don't want them? You can't be serious.:conf2:
Deep South or Texas. I like QB's who grew up understanding what football means to Bama fans, and the people in our part of the world in general. And I would take an equal talent kid from Alabama over kids from other parts of the country. If Coach says that is his guy, awesome. He's been right every step of the way so far.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006

Deep South or Texas. I like QB's who grew up understanding what football means to Bama fans, and the people in our part of the world in general. And I would take an equal talent kid from Alabama over kids from other parts of the country. If Coach says that is his guy, awesome. He's been right every step of the way so far.
Frankly, I don't care where a kid comes from, black, white, Asian, what ever. Winners come in all shapes, sizes and from all over the country. I truly believe CNS only brings in kids who are winners and I'll trust his judgement more than anyone here.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

You saw what kind of trouble he was, but Western PA understands Friday nights.
are there no Fridays in utah and why do you think they have trouble with the lights.

but seriously when our teams were made of guys mostly from this state and immediate neighbors, we had a timeshare in Shreveport for the post season. I'll trust in Sabans evaluation over where the kid played his football.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

are there no Fridays in utah and why do you think they have trouble with the lights.

but seriously when our teams were made of guys mostly from this state and immediate neighbors, we had a timeshare in Shreveport for the post season. I'll trust in Sabans evaluation over where the kid played his football.
I'll trust Saban completely on anything football. But to say Alabama has to recruit outside of the southeast to win championships is a stretch.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

... when our teams were made of guys mostly from this state and immediate neighbors, we had a timeshare in Shreveport for the post season.
No offense, but that has to be one of the dumbest statements I've read on here in ages. Alabama has won fourteen national championships over a span of nine decades based upon a recruiting strategy that has entailed solidifying the in-state talent base and then cherry-picking the border states of Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee.

When you say "teams were made of guys mostly from this state and immediate neighbors," you are literally referring to every single football team in the history of Alabama football, including the two teams that have won national championships in the past three years.

Just because we were in the tank for a few years and that strategy resulted in netting a bunch of kids who should have otherwise been playing at the Mississippi States and Georgia Techs of the world does not mean the underlying strategy is any less sound.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

No offense, but that has to be one of the dumbest statements I've read on here in ages. Alabama has won fourteen national championships over a span of nine decades based upon a recruiting strategy that has entailed solidifying the in-state talent base and then cherry-picking the border states of Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee.

When you say "teams were made of guys mostly from this state and immediate neighbors," you are literally referring to every single football team in the history of Alabama football, including the two teams that have won national championships in the past three years.

Just because we were in the tank for a few years and that strategy resulted in netting a bunch of kids who should have otherwise been playing at the Mississippi States and Georgia Techs of the world does not mean the underlying strategy is any less sound.
How do you not take offense when someone calls you dumb? No offense but that's stupid.

My point was Shulas teams were made up of guys from states where they "understand the friday night lights" like alabama, mississippi and florida and we sucked, I dont remember the championships then I remember spending the holidays in Shreveport, once in Nashville though we did get that one in Dallas. Guys from major high school football areas dont always produce championships and guys from outside those areas arent always soft and overrated.

its probably not a bad idea to look outside of our footprint to find elite players. Maybe that's how I should have put it.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Shula probably recruited using Recruiting Magazines to pick his targets.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

How do you not take offense when someone calls you dumb? No offense but that's stupid.

My point was Shulas teams were made up of guys from states where they "understand the friday night lights" like alabama, mississippi and florida and we sucked, I dont remember the championships then I remember spending the holidays in Shreveport, once in Nashville though we did get that one in Dallas. Guys from major high school football areas dont always produce championships and guys from outside those areas arent always soft and overrated.

its probably not a bad idea to look outside of our footprint to find elite players. Maybe that's how I should have put it.
I didn't call you dumb, I merely said the statement was dumb. I'm not trying to insult you here, just trying to convey a point.

In any event, yes those Shula teams were made up of those players, but all of that "they understand the Friday night lights" hot air was just nonsense made up by the homers to wallpaper over what were years of bad recruiting classes. I don't think anyone more should be read into it than that.

And no one is saying that it is a bad idea to look outside our footprint, nor is anyone saying we shouldn't recruit Bateman. My point was just that you can't overlook the fact that this Alabama team and every other is built almost solely on in-state talent and kids from border states.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

To add to the recruiting footprint discussion, Roll Bama Roll had a post about the hometown of our roster. I won't link it because of profanity and TF policy. Here's a picture to show the make up of recent teams.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

BET is absolutely right. However, I'm glad to see us recruiting nationally again under Saban. There are lots of talent in the Northeast, the Atlantic seaboard, Texas, and the left coast--why should we concede all of it to the USC's and Notre Dames of the world?

Last edited:

RTOTA

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 25, 2012

Will Sims leaving make a difference in recruiting Cooper?
I have to think that it will. I think sitting for one year is a lot more appealing for a top prospect than sitting for two.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I do know that one thing Bateman liked about us when he visited was the depth. He said he felt like he could come in and compete right away. They might have told him then that Sims was lieaving, but I doubt it since that was a good while back. I would have to think he loves it even more now.

TideorDie87

3rd Team
Dec 24, 2011

According to a BOL article, Bateman says he will return in June to throw for our coaches. I'm sure many of you already know this, but for those who don't, Coach Saban will not allow a QB to commit unless he has seen them throw in person. We'll have to see if he ends up making that trip.
Thats kind of good and bad for us. Its not just QBs that he does that way. I know the kid Carl Lawson wanted a offer from Bama and he couldnt get one until Saban saw him at camp. A lot kids end up at other schools because we never see them. Man Saban is a beast.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Thats kind of good and bad for us. Its not just QBs that he does that way. I know the kid Carl Lawson wanted a offer from Bama and he couldnt get one until Saban saw him at camp. A lot kids end up at other schools because we never see them. Man Saban is a beast.
no saban wanted to see him play at his new position to fully offer him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.