View Poll Results: How would you vote on this issue?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 29.79%
  • No

32 68.09%
  • I wouldn't vote, for whatever reason.

1 2.13%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC RollTide1017's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Would you vote for a short, mandatory, military/civil service for [most] US citiz

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Given the general lack of discipline, respect for authority, and maturity present amongst those age 35 and under (I'm in that group, by the way) I believe that a short period of military and/or civil service would be an overall benefit to our society.
    Ugh, why is there this belief that being in the military fixes these issues? I worked with a lady who was ex-military and was just as ignorant and self-righteous as the rest of us, maybe even more so because she thought she was better then everyone else because she was ex-military (and she had no problem telling you that). The only person she truly respected was herself and she had very few friends because of it. I'm just saying, the military doesn't make people good, most come out just as messed up as they went in. Those other countries that force military service, are they really any better off then we are? No, in fact some of them are far worse.

I believe that going to church and studying the Bible helps instill good morals and discipline (doesn't always work though) so, should we force everyone in this country to attend church and a Bible study?

This is suppose to be the land of the free, not the land of the somewhat free.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Re: Would you vote for a short, mandatory, military/civil service for [most] US citiz

I'm for it, not only to teach them respect for authority, others and themselves but you might just actually get some of them trained and not just in weapons, destruction or other non civilian activities but there are career fields who teach medicine, HVAC, electrical/electronics and a host of other specialties that could be used in the civil sector. Problem the volunteer service is not the quality you get, they are better but some kids just need a swift kick in the rear to get going. Look at it this way, they would have a job and pay taxes.
    Please stand behind our troops or feel free to stand in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

[QUOTE=RollTide1017;1869591]. I'm just saying, the military doesn't make people good, most come out just as messed up as they went in. Those other countries that force military service, are they really any better off then we are? No, in fact some of them are far worse.

Disagree - I have had many who came in scewed up and left (decided to get out or decided to go career and I outlasted them) not only with their heads held high but benefitting from their time in service both physically, mentally, and with job experience useful in the civilian market. There are some yes but from my experience those were the ones forced in by the courts or by threats of jail.

I'm not sure how long that lady you speak of was in or when but it doesn't sound like she really succeeded so she uses it as a crutch and to impress.

[QUOTE=RollTide1017;1869591].
    I believe that going to church and studying the Bible helps instill good morals and discipline (doesn't always work though) so, should we force everyone in this country to attend church and a Bible study?

Parents forced me and I really don't resent it. You mean you don't force your kids to go to church?
    Please stand behind our troops or feel free to stand in front of them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    My approach to the question would be to look at it form the effect it would have on the military. If the US wants a 911 force, ready to go somewhere around the world on short notice.
    Universal military/civil service would put a bunch of, shall we say, less than completely motivated youngsters in the military and would probably render the military unable to go overseas on short notice and accomplish much of anything. They (especially the poor NCOs) would be dealing with a lot of headaches.
    ("Hey, sergeant. I think I lost my rifle. Is that a problem?")
    It depends upon how it is handled. The primary force(s) of the military would likely still be only those who chose to pursue that endeavor. Those who were simply there because they had to be and were considered too inept to serve abroad could perform other functions stateside.

The general idea is simply to force most adults to have gone through Basic Training; to have spent at least some amount of time in an organized, structured, hierarchical setting; to have learned to take and, perhaps, give orders; and to have rendered some sort of quantifiable service to their country. Heck, most of the actual service of those who would be minimum-and-done servicemen would likely be non-military or at least non-combatant functions, anyway.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Service guarantees citizenship.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

The general idea is simply to force most adults to have gone through Basic Training; to have spent at least some amount of time in an organized, structured, hierarchical setting; to have learned to take and, perhaps, give orders; and to have rendered some sort of quantifiable service to their country. Heck, most of the actual service of those who would be minimum-and-done servicemen would likely be non-military or at least non-combatant functions, anyway.
    Seeing how even gangs do this, training people to become a cog in a machine is highly overrated.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Like others I have gone back and forth on this. It seems like this comes up every once in a while, usually when there are actions overseas where there is a need and our military personnel are having to do multiple tours of duty. Practically everyone that I have heard suggest that we return to a draft appear to be using this as a scare tactic to turn public support against a particular engagement. I hope that never succeeds.

I would support a guaranteed citizenship program with military or civil service. This has been used well in the past. An old friend of mine is of Vietnamese decent and served in the Navy to gain his citizenship.

For the most part I have found that forced service fosters more resentment than good will.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have the opportunity to vote that if you aint fighting you shouldn't be voting on me fighting. That's not to say I won't fight but if you're going too, I know you have considered it more carefully. I also get sick of hearing them talk about cutting veteran beneifts when they geet better for far less.

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

A thousand times NO!

Whatever marginal benefit might be gained would be far more than offset by the loss of freedom and its tangible benefits.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Italy we used to have mandatory military service. We got rid of it and it was for the better.
    It proved to be only an enormous waste of public money and drained resources from defense budget....

BamaNation All-American Relayer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This veteran votes no

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

It depends upon how it is handled. The primary force(s) of the military would likely still be only those who chose to pursue that endeavor. Those who were simply there because they had to be and were considered too inept to serve abroad could perform other functions stateside.

Some of this is doubtless true, but universal military/civil service would be very expensive. It would drain drain a lot of defense dollars teaching the unwilling/unmotivated how to do basic stuff (like get up early, keep you living space clean and orderly, etc.). If we want the military to be an engine of social development for young people, so be it, but get ready to have our military get its backside handed to it on future battlefields (at least early on, until we as a country realize yet again that warfare is a serious business with real negative consequences for getting it wrong).

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Service guarantees citizenship.
    You mean in the sense of having served entitles the veteran to vote in the Heinlein sense of the term citizenship, or do you mean that simply forcing young people to serve would caused them, once discharged, to appreciate what they have as citizens?
    Not flaming, just curious as to your meaning here.