Poll: Would you vote for a short, mandatory, military/civil service for [most] US citizens?

How would you vote on this issue?

• Yes

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • I wouldn't vote, for whatever reason.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Many countries require a short period of military and/or civil service from most or all of their citizens when or before they reach a certain age. Given the general lack of discipline, respect for authority, and maturity present amongst those age 35 and under (I'm in that group, by the way) I believe that a short period of military and/or civil service would be an overall benefit to our society. I've often said that I believe that 90% of our population would greatly benefit from going through Basic Training.

So, considering that perspective, would you support some sort of required military service for US citizens (with those termed conscientious objectors and/or with other mitigating circumstances performing civil/community service instead of military service)? It would be for a limited period of time and there would be exceptions, of course. For example, those attending college after high-school could delay their service until they graduated, as long as their service was completed by, say, age 30. There could be different types and/or lengths of service with some types of service roles, e.g. medical, technical, mechanical, logistical, etc., that would [optionally] last for a longer period of time but would result in some sort of technical/trade degree or certification that would, say, be equivalent to two years of college, e.g. an AA or Community College degree, or perhaps more. Those who chose to delay their service until after graduation could enter service roles related to their degrees with medical personnel, for example, doing their residency during their time of service and lawyers working in the military and/or civil court system(s) during their service. This would give those with degrees a period of time which would count both as military/civil service as well as work experience.

All of the details would have to be hashed out, of course. However - assuming that the details were worked out as satisfactorily as possible for a vast majority of our citizens - and this issue were put to a nationwide referendum, how would you vote on this issue?

HELENKELLERMRI

1st Team
Apr 19, 2008
The Shoals
I would support a 2 year term right after high school. I think it would instill some respect and motivation into the young folks, but the drill instructors would have their hands full.

pc2bama

1st Team
Apr 17, 2008
I think encouragement to serve one's country is perfectly fine. If it were a requirement I think it would be best to at least offer non-combat rolls for those who wish not to be engaged in fighting. Imagine all the fracking, berserko incidents we might have forcing weapons into someone's hand that despised it? Would you want them "watching your back?" Liberty is just that. We can't be somewhat free. We either are or are not. That is why so many are so sick of how oppressive the U.S. govt. has become over the years.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I've gone back and forth on this idea over the years. I'm currently of the "no" mindset. Our military generally does better morale and efficiency-wise when it's a volunteer force. Even then there are losers who get in, only to have to be dealt with and separated early because they aren't military material and are too character disordered to be trained. It ends up being a big loss of money to attempt to train them.

I certainly think military service can go a long way to helping build a young adult's self-confidence and give them experience they could not otherwise gain, but it should be done on a voluntary basis for the benefit of the overall fitness and readiness of our force.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I've just sucked one year of your life away. I might one day go as high as five, but I really don't know what that would do to you. So, let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My approach to the question would be to look at it form the effect it would have on the military. If the US wants a 911 force, ready to go somewhere around the world on short notice.
Universal military/civil service would put a bunch of, shall we say, less than completely motivated youngsters in the military and would probably render the military unable to go overseas on short notice and accomplish much of anything. They (especially the poor NCOs) would be dealing with a lot of headaches.
("Hey, sergeant. I think I lost my rifle. Is that a problem?")

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Given the general lack of discipline, respect for authority, and maturity present amongst those age 35 and under (I'm in that group, by the way) I believe that a short period of military and/or civil service would be an overall benefit to our society.
Ugh, why is there this belief that being in the military fixes these issues? I worked with a lady who was ex-military and was just as ignorant and self-righteous as the rest of us, maybe even more so because she thought she was better then everyone else because she was ex-military (and she had no problem telling you that). The only person she truly respected was herself and she had very few friends because of it. I'm just saying, the military doesn't make people good, most come out just as messed up as they went in. Those other countries that force military service, are they really any better off then we are? No, in fact some of them are far worse.

I believe that going to church and studying the Bible helps instill good morals and discipline (doesn't always work though) so, should we force everyone in this country to attend church and a Bible study?

This is suppose to be the land of the free, not the land of the somewhat free.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I'm for it, not only to teach them respect for authority, others and themselves but you might just actually get some of them trained and not just in weapons, destruction or other non civilian activities but there are career fields who teach medicine, HVAC, electrical/electronics and a host of other specialties that could be used in the civil sector. Problem the volunteer service is not the quality you get, they are better but some kids just need a swift kick in the rear to get going. Look at it this way, they would have a job and pay taxes.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
. I'm just saying, the military doesn't make people good, most come out just as messed up as they went in. Those other countries that force military service, are they really any better off then we are? No, in fact some of them are far worse.

Disagree - I have had many who came in scewed up and left (decided to get out or decided to go career and I outlasted them) not only with their heads held high but benefitting from their time in service both physically, mentally, and with job experience useful in the civilian market. There are some yes but from my experience those were the ones forced in by the courts or by threats of jail.

I'm not sure how long that lady you speak of was in or when but it doesn't sound like she really succeeded so she uses it as a crutch and to impress.

I believe that going to church and studying the Bible helps instill good morals and discipline (doesn't always work though) so, should we force everyone in this country to attend church and a Bible study?

Parents forced me and I really don't resent it. You mean you don't force your kids to go to church? ;)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
My approach to the question would be to look at it form the effect it would have on the military. If the US wants a 911 force, ready to go somewhere around the world on short notice.
Universal military/civil service would put a bunch of, shall we say, less than completely motivated youngsters in the military and would probably render the military unable to go overseas on short notice and accomplish much of anything. They (especially the poor NCOs) would be dealing with a lot of headaches.
("Hey, sergeant. I think I lost my rifle. Is that a problem?")
It depends upon how it is handled. The primary force(s) of the military would likely still be only those who chose to pursue that endeavor. Those who were simply there because they had to be and were considered too inept to serve abroad could perform other functions stateside.

The general idea is simply to force most adults to have gone through Basic Training; to have spent at least some amount of time in an organized, structured, hierarchical setting; to have learned to take and, perhaps, give orders; and to have rendered some sort of quantifiable service to their country. Heck, most of the actual service of those who would be minimum-and-done servicemen would likely be non-military or at least non-combatant functions, anyway.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The general idea is simply to force most adults to have gone through Basic Training; to have spent at least some amount of time in an organized, structured, hierarchical setting; to have learned to take and, perhaps, give orders; and to have rendered some sort of quantifiable service to their country. Heck, most of the actual service of those who would be minimum-and-done servicemen would likely be non-military or at least non-combatant functions, anyway.
Seeing how even gangs do this, training people to become a cog in a machine is highly overrated.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Like others I have gone back and forth on this. It seems like this comes up every once in a while, usually when there are actions overseas where there is a need and our military personnel are having to do multiple tours of duty. Practically everyone that I have heard suggest that we return to a draft appear to be using this as a scare tactic to turn public support against a particular engagement. I hope that never succeeds.

I would support a guaranteed citizenship program with military or civil service. This has been used well in the past. An old friend of mine is of Vietnamese decent and served in the Navy to gain his citizenship.

For the most part I have found that forced service fosters more resentment than good will.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I would love to have the opportunity to vote that if you aint fighting you shouldn't be voting on me fighting. That's not to say I won't fight but if you're going too, I know you have considered it more carefully. I also get sick of hearing them talk about cutting veteran beneifts when they geet better for far less.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.