I think it is time for me to move on.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
he has the clients/contacts but the all want to meet me (his "primary designer"). I have a meeting next month with two of them, but I have to go to Myrtle Beach to do it. I will take my vacation then. He is better at the business end than I am and I am the better designer (his words). He enjoys the business end and dealing with people whereas I enjoy designing and not really dealing with the client until I have to do so.
I've seen several architectural firms setup that way. It can work and it can implode. The danger can be that he gets the perception that he's the rainmaker and that he can go out and hire a good designer. The designer can get the perception that he's the brilliance behind the firm and can go out and hire a business person. If either of those perceptions start to take hold, you have trouble. Being in business is about like being married. You spend that much time with one another. To use a biblical reference, just make sure that you're not unequally yoked.

It does seem like the industry is bouncing back. The Architects Billing Index has decreased the last 2 months in a row though and is now in the declining market category. The whole industry seems to be holding it's breath for November.

Oh, and I have a SC PE license :)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I've seen several architectural firms setup that way. It can work and it can implode. The danger can be that he gets the perception that he's the rainmaker and that he can go out and hire a good designer. The designer can get the perception that he's the brilliance behind the firm and can go out and hire a business person. If either of those perceptions start to take hold, you have trouble. Being in business is about like being married. You spend that much time with one another. To use a biblical reference, just make sure that you're not unequally yoked.

It does seem like the industry is bouncing back. The Architects Billing Index has decreased the last 2 months in a row though and is now in the declining market category. The whole industry seems to be holding it's breath for November.

Oh, and I have a SC PE license :)
i will keep you in mind.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
looks as though by the end of this year i will be moving to Florence South Carolina to start an architecture irm with a friend of mine. i will know more after the election and Christmas. very nervous about starting this, it is very scary, but i think it is just time to get off my butt and do what i really have always wanted to do anyway. the reason i am having to wait is my future business partner is wanting to wait until after the election. he is trying to line up work and get a masters degree at the same time.
If'n I was you, I'd move to Florence, Italy and grow grapes.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The good news is that once you start your own business and fail you can then move on to being a architecture professor for the next stage of Mosbyism.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The good news is that once you start your own business and fail you can then move on to being a architecture professor for the next stage of Mosbyism.
I know you think you are being funny but you are just insulting now. You are now suggesting I will fail? Stop posting on any comments about me or my job.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I know you think you are being funny but you are just insulting now. You are now suggesting I will fail? Stop posting on any comments about me or my job.

Actually I'm giving you the bright side to the potential for failure. You will find that teaching architecture as a professor is something you love to do and this will help lead you to being able to tell your kids how you met their mother.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Lock this thread please. Some people on here don’t seem to grasp that you could just tell me “good luck” or offer advice on starting my business instead they choose to make this dumb repeated tired joke. Please lock the thread.

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
This is not my fight King but this is what we do here. We pick on each other. You have even started picking back the last couple of days. Then when people pick on you, you cant take it and whine about it. And for the record and I have never seen anyone as much like a TV character as you. Later Mosby.:)

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
This is not my fight King but this is what we do here. We pick on each other. You have even started picking back the last couple of days. Then when people pick on you, you cant take it and whine about it. And for the record I have never seen anyone as much like a TV character as you. Later Mosby.:)
RV, obviously, you ain't seen any of my adult entertainment showin's. ;)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Lock this thread please. Some people on here don’t seem to grasp that you could just tell me “good luck” or offer advice on starting my business instead they choose to make this dumb repeated tired joke. Please lock the thread.
Good luck. My advice for starting a business is to not be such a big baby about everything.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.