Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think it is time for me to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    He likes Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain.
    This is one of the funniest things I've read in weeks. Nicely done, bro.
    RIP Hub

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by exbama21 View Post
    My bossí claim that everyone is under paid including them.
    Funny how the bosses always say "hey we're under paid to ya know". A couple of weeks ago, I heard a boss at my job talk about how underpaid he was, and as he was saying it, he was getting into the back of a car to be shuttled to the airport where his private jet awaited him to take him to Boston for the weekend. A special trip just to attend a Celtics game. If that is underpaid, I'd love to see overpaid!
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    This is one of the funniest things I've read in weeks. Nicely done, bro.
    I figured more people would get the reference.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RVTIDER's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Wicked on TideFans.com

I got it, it was good
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

BamaNation First Team lazlohollyfeld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Yep. Like I said in my original post. The employer isn't going to admit this directly to you but their underlying goal is to keep their expenses as low as possible while increasing revenue as much as possible. And rumor has it that "Salary & Wages" is an expense...
    And for most companies it is the largest expense. Every two weeks "$X" flies out the door. And I'm not bad mouthing it as employees (mostly) are worth it, I've just experienced being on the owners end of a services oriented (read employee heavy) start up. Cash burn like that leads to ulcers, heart problems, and hair loss.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by lazlohollyfeld View Post
    And for most companies it is the largest expense. Every two weeks "$X" flies out the door. And I'm not bad mouthing it as employees (mostly) are worth it, I've just experienced being on the owners end of a services oriented (read employee heavy) start up. Cash burn like that leads to ulcers, heart problems, and hair loss.
    I completely agree. That's why I've learned it's not personal. It's business. The employer's I've worked for got into business to make more money than they would as an employee for someone else. They got into business to be independent and have more control over their career, time etc.

That is why I say that a goal of most employers isn't to ensure *you* (as an employee) make as much money as you can as an accountant, auditor, IT tech, marketing manager, etc. That is up to *you*, the employee. There is an inherent incentive for the employer to walk that fine line of trying to pay as little as he can in salaries and wages and still get quality work and keep employees. It is a constant tug of war between the two parties.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American RogueElephant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by exbama21 View Post
    I was asked by a former classmate to help him start a residential firm. I want to do it because I would rather be my own boss anyway. Although it scares the hell out of me. Residential is scary to begin with and architecture is always a tricky business to start. I told him I would help on the side for awhile until things picked up enough to quit the current job. Right now that is seeming less likely to happen and it seems he was all talk and no action. I got an email from him today (about 5 minutes ago and I now know why I havenít heard from him in 2 months. He was in an accident. He is fine and is suppose to contact me later this month.
    A bit of advice you sleep with the boss that being YOU! Having started and running 3 businesses one very much a loser. It will a 24-7 deal your blood pressure will go up and you will wake up nights wondering what I did wrong or how can I fix or improve my business.

I don't know your industry but you will only be as good as those employees you hire. I made mistakes but got lucky see avatar. I'm sure you are excellent at your job and your partner as too but you will need someone to pre screen potentials employees, be human resources and manage your office if you wish to grow. When times are good put away because times in every industry will turn.

Not to sound to negative owning a business is great but it comes with a lot of work.
    Why did Tennessee choose orange as their team color? You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week.

The avatar is my former assistant who I think of as my adopted daugther. She is smart, funny, likeable and a Acct & Finance grad of Fullerton and given the right guidance would light the world on fire. Just don't tell her I said that.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, you should know by now...
    RIP Hub

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    Eh, you should know by now...
    Maybe my knowledge of 70's music shouldn't be a point of pride? Monday I stayed home sick. My wife is a stay at home mom. When she got back from taking the kids to school I merely commented, "skyrockets in flight..." She was not amused.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Maybe my knowledge of 70's music shouldn't be a point of pride? Monday I stayed home sick. My wife is a stay at home mom. When she got back from taking the kids to school I merely commented, "skyrockets in flight..." She was not amused.
    Dixie Land Delight?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Dixie Land Delight?
    Evidently, not a music lover or an Alabama (The Group) fan!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com
    Rubbin' sticks and stones together...
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Rubbin' sticks and stones together...
    Ah...makes the sparks ignite