I think it is time for me to move on.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
Yep. Like I said in my original post. The employer isn't going to admit this directly to you but their underlying goal is to keep their expenses as low as possible while increasing revenue as much as possible. And rumor has it that "Salary & Wages" is an expense...
And for most companies it is the largest expense. Every two weeks "$X" flies out the door. And I'm not bad mouthing it as employees (mostly) are worth it, I've just experienced being on the owners end of a services oriented (read employee heavy) start up. Cash burn like that leads to ulcers, heart problems, and hair loss.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And for most companies it is the largest expense. Every two weeks "$X" flies out the door. And I'm not bad mouthing it as employees (mostly) are worth it, I've just experienced being on the owners end of a services oriented (read employee heavy) start up. Cash burn like that leads to ulcers, heart problems, and hair loss.
I completely agree. That's why I've learned it's not personal. It's business. The employer's I've worked for got into business to make more money than they would as an employee for someone else. They got into business to be independent and have more control over their career, time etc.

That is why I say that a goal of most employers isn't to ensure *you* (as an employee) make as much money as you can as an accountant, auditor, IT tech, marketing manager, etc. That is up to *you*, the employee. There is an inherent incentive for the employer to walk that fine line of trying to pay as little as he can in salaries and wages and still get quality work and keep employees. It is a constant tug of war between the two parties.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I was asked by a former classmate to help him start a residential firm. I want to do it because I would rather be my own boss anyway. Although it scares the hell out of me. Residential is scary to begin with and architecture is always a tricky business to start. I told him I would help on the side for awhile until things picked up enough to quit the current job. Right now that is seeming less likely to happen and it seems he was all talk and no action. I got an email from him today (about 5 minutes ago and I now know why I haven’t heard from him in 2 months. He was in an accident. He is fine and is suppose to contact me later this month.
A bit of advice you sleep with the boss that being YOU! Having started and running 3 businesses one very much a loser. It will a 24-7 deal your blood pressure will go up and you will wake up nights wondering what I did wrong or how can I fix or improve my business.

I don't know your industry but you will only be as good as those employees you hire. I made mistakes but got lucky see avatar. I'm sure you are excellent at your job and your partner as too but you will need someone to pre screen potentials employees, be human resources and manage your office if you wish to grow. When times are good put away because times in every industry will turn.

Not to sound to negative owning a business is great but it comes with a lot of work.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Eh, you should know by now...
Maybe my knowledge of 70's music shouldn't be a point of pride? Monday I stayed home sick. My wife is a stay at home mom. When she got back from taking the kids to school I merely commented, "skyrockets in flight..." She was not amused.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Maybe my knowledge of 70's music shouldn't be a point of pride? Monday I stayed home sick. My wife is a stay at home mom. When she got back from taking the kids to school I merely commented, "skyrockets in flight..." She was not amused.
Dixie Land Delight? :wink:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
looks as though by the end of this year i will be moving to Florence South Carolina to start an architecture irm with a friend of mine. i will know more after the election and Christmas. very nervous about starting this, it is very scary, but i think it is just time to get off my butt and do what i really have always wanted to do anyway. the reason i am having to wait is my future business partner is wanting to wait until after the election. he is trying to line up work and get a masters degree at the same time.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
looks as though by the end of this year i will be moving to Florence South Carolina to start an architecture irm with a friend of mine. i will know more after the election and Christmas. very nervous about starting this, it is very scary, but i think it is just time to get off my butt and do what i really have always wanted to do anyway. the reason i am having to wait is my future business partner is wanting to wait until after the election. he is trying to line up work and get a masters degree at the same time.
You're moving where?? :eek2:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Is he already there and has contacts/clients? Be careful that you don't get caught up in an uneven partnership because he'll have existing relationships and you won't. This is first and foremost a relationship business. People have to know you and like you before they'll bother to find out how great of a designer you are.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Wait.... You're starting your own firm?

Look bro, don't deny it anymore, I know you own a pair of red cowboy boots. It's like your just teasing us at this point. Just embrace the inner Mosby and get it over with.

Say it with me: "I am Ted Mosby. I am Ted Mosby. I am Ted Mosby."

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Is he already there and has contacts/clients? Be careful that you don't get caught up in an uneven partnership because he'll have existing relationships and you won't. This is first and foremost a relationship business. People have to know you and like you before they'll bother to find out how great of a designer you are.
he has the clients/contacts but the all want to meet me (his "primary designer"). I have a meeting next month with two of them, but I have to go to Myrtle Beach to do it. I will take my vacation then. He is better at the business end than I am and I am the better designer (his words). He enjoys the business end and dealing with people whereas I enjoy designing and not really dealing with the client until I have to do so.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
he has the clients/contacts but the all want to meet me (his "primary designer"). I have a meeting next month with two of them, but I have to go to Myrtle Beach to do it. I will take my vacation then. He is better at the business end than I am and I am the better designer (his words). He enjoys the business end and dealing with people whereas I enjoy designing and not really dealing with the client until I have to do so.
make sure you know enough about the business end to be able to review the books

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.