Link: Former Auburn RB Mike Dyer testifies his gun was used in alleged robbery

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Great recruiting, Troopa!!! Keep it up man.

I'm sketchy on recruiting stats, but wasn't the class with Dyer and Mosely et. al. the year Auburn "beat" Bama in all the recruiting polls?

Consider this: It is possible that someone spent tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on these guys. That's second only to my wife and kids in my list of things that make me happy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Great recruiting, Troopa!!! Keep it up man.

I'm sketchy on recruiting stats, but wasn't the class with Dyer and Mosely et. al. the year Auburn "beat" Bama in all the recruiting polls?

Consider this: It is possible that someone spent tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on these guys. That's second only to my wife and kids in my list of things that make me happy.
Yeah, that was the year one site ranked them higher than Bama. That class won't be ranked as high when sites do the re-ranking in a few years because several of those players have been busts or left the program.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
These players don't know how lucky they are. If they'd entered my home like that, the story would've been about three former AU players shot and killed during a home invasion. My pistol is within arm's reach of me at all times, it holds 17 rounds, and I know how to use it.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
It was Dyer's gun?

Don't you have to be 21 to own a handgun in Alabama? :rolleyes:
No. You have to be 21 to buy a handgun or purchase handgun ammunition. You can possess one at 18 (some exceptions for under 18 too). Going a step further, the 21 years old restriction applies to licensed sellers. IIRC, a private seller can sell to anyone over 18.

Contrary to popular belief, you can get a pistol permit at 18 in Alabama (although Sheriffs have discretion in issuing them and some refuse to issue one to anybody under 21).

Did the girlfriend make a straw purchase?
No. Assuming she gave it to him as a legitimate gift, she's OK. Strawman purchases relate to buying a gun for someone that can't legally possess one. Dyer was over 18, so unless he had a criminal conviction that otherwise barred him from owning a firearm, he can legally possess a handgun. He just couldn't buy it or ammunition for it himself. Interesting note about the ammunition angle - the restriction only applies to ammunition designed for handgun use only so .22LR isn't covered. You could even make an argument for 9mm and .45ACP.

Dyer's a thug, he's a druggie, and he's complicit (although safe because he is a cooperating witness) in the robbery but neither he nor his girlfriend did anything illegal regarding possessing or purchasing the gun.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
Thanks efd------good info!
No problem. Just for added clarity, you can see the applicable Alabama law here (starting at 13A-11-50):

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/148207.htm

And the applicable federal law here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

I do think I may have misspoke in one place. Section 13A-11-76 of the Code of Alabama says "No person shall deliver a pistol to any person under the age of 18 or to one who he has reasonable cause to believe has been convicted of a crime of violence or is a drug addict, an habitual drunkard or of unsound mind." Dyer got on the stand and admitted to being a drug addict and habitual drunkard, and his actions appear to demonstrate an unsound mind so she probably did commit that misdemeanor offense. :wink:

BAMAMICH

Suspended
Jun 11, 2008
Ok ... I have two questions about this situation ...
1. If it's felony to SELL a gun to a person when you know they may commit a crime, is it also a felony to allow someone to USE your personal gun when you know they may use it to commit a crime?

2. Also when did the Barn know that it was Dyer's gun they used? Asking because he was suspended at the end of the season and from what I can remember, we never heard WHY he was suspended ... wondering if they did that after the season was up to cover their behinds. I'm pretty sure there's a good chance they knew this before the season was over, and if so ... seems like plenty cause for him to be suspended or kicked off the team at that time ...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's some information from today's hearing...

Goodwin's signed statement is largely consistent with the testimony of the five victims Wednesday and Thursday. He said he carried a BB gun and stayed in the living room while co-defendants Mike McNeil and Shaun Kitchens searched the house. Goodwin said the fourth defendant, Dakota Mosley, was "just driving."Goodwin said the robbery was "not my idea." He said he was picked up that night by McNeil and had planned to just "chill and do normal stuff." But talk eventually turned to the robbery."We had heard there was a sweet lick," wrote Goodwin, referring to the slang term for getting money or committing a robbery. "and we decided to ride over and hit the lick....I want to make clear we just wanted to scare them. We had no intention of hurting anyone."

Really? Just wanted to scare them? No intention of hurting anyone? Please.

Prosecutors could rest their case as early as this afternoon. The defense has subpoenaed several high-profile potential witnesses, including head football coach Gene Chizik, assistant head coach and receivers coach Trooper Taylor and head baseball coach John Pawlowski, although it's not clear whether the judge will allow their testimony.
I'll be interested to see if Chiz and Troop make it.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
;1870408 said:
But talk eventually turned to the robbery."We had heard there was a sweet lick," wrote Goodwin, referring to the slang term for getting money or committing a robbery. "and we decided to ride over and hit the lick....Iwant to make clear we just wanted to scare them. We had no intention of hurting anyone
Let me get this straight... They are testifying in court with their familiarity of robbery slang? [sarcasm] Genius! [/sarcasm]

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2. Also when did the Barn know that it was Dyer's gun they used? Asking because he was suspended at the end of the season and from what I can remember, we never heard WHY he was suspended ... wondering if they did that after the season was up to cover their behinds. I'm pretty sure there's a good chance they knew this before the season was over, and if so ... seems like plenty cause for him to be suspended or kicked off the team at that time ...
I've been told that the Lee County Sheriff department didn't have a hard time tracing the gun to Dyer.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Let me get this straight... They are testifying in court with their familiarity of robbery slang? [sarcasm] Genius! [/sarcasm]

To be fair, you can learn that slang watching tv. Given that some of these guys grew up in rough environments, this isn't telling. And I"m sure plenty of our own players know similar slang. Hell, I know some of that slang and I'm a middle class white dude.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
You also do not need a pistol permit to own a handgun in Alabama unless you want to carry it concealed or have it in a vehicle. There are no laws against open carry in Alabama - with a few exceptions (public schools, public demonstrations, etc.). It's kind of a dumb idea to openly carry a firearm, though, and you'll probably get harassed by the po-po.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.