Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spurrier latest words of wisdom

His jokes have grown a bit shrill and thin to me. When Saban was hired, Spurrier was a very interested and that interest wasn't returned. That has colored his remarks since then...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Steve likes the sound of his own voice. Always has. Still, I find him an interesting character, and nearly always good for a chuckle.
    I like him, too. I lived in Knoxville during the Peyton years. Spurrier always had some kind of dig against Fulmer, which made all the locals mad. I figure anybody that rags on Fulmer can't be half bad.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

His comments about Saban frankly stink of "I could be as good as you but I ended up at damn South Carolina from the NFL'"

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    His jokes have grown a bit shrill and thin to me. When Saban was hired, Spurrier was a very interested and that interest wasn't returned. That has colored his remarks since then...
    I have to admit I actually wanted Spurrier, even more than Saban. Perhaps this has to do with my being out of the country half of Saban's time at LSU, but I felt pretty confident in Spurrier's ability to come to Alabama and do great. He wouldn't have done as well as Saban, but I'm sure he would have done quite well.

While I have to humbly eat my words, in that while I was very happy with Saban, I probably liked Spurrier a bit more as a coach, at the time... I do think he had to be a clear #2. Was Alabama really more interested in Rich Rod than Spurrier? I'd have my feelings hurt to if that was the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Steve likes the sound of his own voice. Always has. Still, I find him an interesting character, and nearly always good for a chuckle.
    I just hope he knows when to quit and doesn't end up like ole Lou, a caricature of his former self.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    I just hope he knows when to quit and doesn't end up like ole Lou, a caricature of his former self.
    Thanks for ruining my day.

I just pictured a dystopian future where Steve Spurrier, Mark May and Rece Davis were sitting around discussing College Football. Steve loves to talk, loves the sound of his voice, ESPN would love to have him. I'm afraid I could really see this happening.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Warrior View Post
    I think its Saban. Hes considered the best. Les Miles is considered one of the best, when you look at number of wins. I believe youre as good as your record. You are whatever your record is. Dont give me any excuses or that you cant win at this place.

I personally don't care for Spurrier, but he is an excellent football coach and statements like this give me even more respect for him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    IMO, he's already there. I guess that's why I just don't care for him much anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

duplicate post.... sorry
    Last edited by nx4bama; April 13th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    In the decade of the 70's we lost eleven games and won three national titles.

Eleven losses in ten years.

Coach Saban has lost eleven in five years.

So if he goes undefeated for the next five years and wins one more title he'll have matched Coach Bryant for a ten year run.
    Unfair comparison.... you're comparing Saban's first 5 years to Bryant's (roughly) last 10 years.... Bryant already had, what, 15 years into the program before his run in the 70's.... I mean no disrespect to Coach Bryant... I'm as big a fan as anybody who never actually saw the man coach, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.... Saban probably won't even be around long enough for us to know what his program would be like in it's 15 - 25th year.....

BamaNation First Team BAMAccounting10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Spurrier is jelly.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    IMO, he's already there. I guess that's why I just don't care for him much anymore.
    Yep. He's already being impersonated by people such as Rece Davis on College Football Live during the season. I've watched others impersonate him. I think when it gets to that point he's already become a caricature of his former self.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I have to admit I actually wanted Spurrier, even more than Saban. Perhaps this has to do with my being out of the country half of Saban's time at LSU, but I felt pretty confident in Spurrier's ability to come to Alabama and do great. He wouldn't have done as well as Saban, but I'm sure he would have done quite well.

While I have to humbly eat my words, in that while I was very happy with Saban, I probably liked Spurrier a bit more as a coach, at the time... I do think he had to be a clear #2. Was Alabama really more interested in Rich Rod than Spurrier? I'd have my feelings hurt to if that was the case.
    These communications generally go back and forth through agents. Saban and Spurrier (and many other prominent coaches) share Sexton. Spurrier indicated his interest through that conduit. Saban indicated his interest the same way. My information at the time came through Sexton and I had more than one source there. By the time we were looking, Spurrier's decline in work ethic was well known. Also, his age worked against him. I know he's fielded decent teams since then, but that was still in the future at the time. He didn't look as good then as now. Also, Rich Rod was a hot commodity at the time. His flop at UM was still in the future. FWIW, Mal never wanted RR. Saban was his preferred target all along. I'm not going to say anything about the RR episode, except not our finest hour...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus