Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spurrier latest words of wisdom

I must admit when people at the university told me Spurrier was pretty much told thanks but no thanks, I was sad becasue I wanted to hear his post game slams against UT after Alabama beat them. When I was told that Saban was in play I was thrilled because me and my brother use to watch LSU and say why can't Alabama get a coach like Saban. Anyway back on topic I think Spurrier is simply stating the obvious that winning at Alabama is not the hardest thing in the world to do but when you start stacking NCS like Saban you have to be on the short list of greatest coaches of all time. I mean if the choker Bobby B is considered one of the greatest then Saban has to be top three.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

In response to one poster: IMO, Saban would not have done what he did at Bama at other schools. He did not at MSU or LSU. Saban is a historically great coach, but Bama is a magical football school. He would have been successful, but not to the extent he has been at Bama.

The 70's ('70-'79) was a phenominal run but Bama lost 16, though only 4 SEC games the 11 years from '71-'81. The SEC was not as powerful then as now or in the 60's - the first golden era of the SEC (Bryant, Vaught, Dietzel/McClendon, Dodd, Butts/Dooley, Wyatt/Dickey, Jordan, Graves. All HoF coaches. The SEC had a team finish #1 or #2 in 9 of 12 AP polls from '56-'67 and in 2 of the 3 years they didn't, a team finished #3 including Bama's '66 team. That was from 5 different SEC programs. 6 times they had multiple top 5 teams and twice they had 3 teams in the top 5.).

Saban can certainly match Coach Bryant at this point in his Bama career. What he has done in his first 5 years, especially considering the talent level and psyche of the program at his hiring, is remarkable. It's arguable that no one has ever done as much. I was a little boy when Coach Bryant majestically strode onto the scene, but I remember it well. What he did from '61-'66 in a very tough league was transcedent (60-5-1 with 3 NCs). But Coach Saban need take no backseat. They are both the greatest coaches of their era and may end up 1-2 all time.

It is interesting that Coach Bryant came to Bama after the worst 10-year stretch in Bama history in winning % (50%. Since 1894 Bama has never had a losing 10 year period.). Coach Saban came to Bama after the worst 10-year stretch in number of losses (53).
    Last edited by BamaInBham; April 13th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Spurrier is a tired old act, and no one ever seems to hold his feet to the fire.

In his UF Heyday, SOS lead a program that had its star players on payroll system provided by a wannabe agent, for some 18 months. SOS was allowed to use the "I didn't know" defense line for something he SHOULD have at least suspected and pursued.

He also came up with the ridiculous style of rotating QBs every play, coddled Garcia all of his time at SCe, and for all the hype, Spurrier has never really developed a star QB. SOS brought his system into the SEC at a perfect time, especially with the hash marks being widened.

Spurrier has one NC in 1996, a product of a truly ridiculous rematch pitting them against a FSU team that had just beaten them in the FINAL GAME of the regular season - truly a voter contrived title.

SOS has never had an undefeated season. His act is stale, and I think he is becoming a bitter old coot.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    In response to one poster: IMO, Saban would not have done what he did at Bama at other schools. He did not at MSU or LSU. Saban is a historically great coach, but Bama is a magical football school. He would have been successful, but not to the extent he has been at Bama.
    He did not stay at either school long enough to know. And when he got to Alabama we had the benefit of the fact that he'd grown and learned so much as a head coach.

He was very well on his way at LSU. It is not a stretch at all to say that had he stayed in Baton Rouge, he would have at least 2 more NCs in addition to the 1 he won in 2003 (Miles won 1 and was in contention for another).

I did try to clarify that whatever ceiling any program has, Coach Saban would take that program there. At Michigan State, maybe that is contention for an NC every 4 years. At say, Mississippi State, maybe that is averaging 8 wins per year.

But you give me every school in the country that is on Alabama's level of recruiting ability and program prestige. USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc. Put Nick Saban there and he does what he's done at Alabama. We're not exactly sitting on a recruiting hotbed in this state. I'd say it ranks behind California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, and maybe states like Ohio and Virginia. But we are near several of those states. Make no mistake, Coach Saban has had to work his tail off to produce what he has produced here. As special as this program is (and it certainly is very special), I do believe he could have similar success at several other schools.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I bet Spurrier was shirtless with a cold Coors in his hand during the interview..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I bet Spurrier was shirtless with a cold Coors in his hand during the interview..
    No thanks for the mental image...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    Spurrier has one NC in 1996, a product of a truly ridiculous rematch pitting them against a FSU team that had just beaten them in the FINAL GAME of the regular season - truly a voter contrived title.

SOS has never had an undefeated season. His act is stale, and I think he is becoming a bitter old coot.
    I'm sorry but I'm not letting this pass because it is at variance with every bit of evidence that exists.

1) Ohio State lost their last game against Michigan at home by four points.

2) Florida lost by 3 on the road to an unbeaten team.

3) Nebraska lost their second game in the first Big XII title game to Texas.

4) Arizona State was unbeaten.

5) There was no BCS in 1996.

6) The bowl matchups were predetermined. Ohio State and Arizona State HAD to play in the Rose Bowl, Florida in the Sugar.

7) If Ohio State had not choked then the Rose Bowl would have been unbeaten Ohio St vs unbeaten Arizona St

8) Florida then thumped 9-2 Alabama by 15 points. How good was Alabama? Two plays from an undefeated season until the UF game.

9) Florida only got a rematch because Nebraska lost. Had Nebraska won then Nebraska would have met unbeaten number one FSU in the Orange Bowl or Fiesta Bowl.

10) Because of potential controversy with ASU, the Noles HAD to play the highest ranked eligible team - #4 Florida.

11) Florida needed an ASU loss to even have a chance. ASU had shut out two-time defending champ Nebraska. Had ASU won, Florida likely had no shot.

12) Realizing the predicament Spurrier ran up the score.

Think what you will about SOS but his title was earned. You complained about Florida losing their last game. But so did Ohio State and Nebraska. And then so did ASU & FSU. Florida beat a 10-win and 11-win team in it's last two games. And when it was all over, Florida had one loss like everybody else, played the toughest schedule by far, and beat #1 by 30 points.

Given how similar that is to 2011 Alabama I'd be curious to hear who you think should have won the 1996 title if not Florida.

HERE ARE YOUR CHOICES:

Florida (12-1) - toughest schedule in nation with a three-point loss on road at #1

Ohio State (11-1) - won Big Ten title, lost by 4 at home to 8-4 Michigan

Nebraska (11-2) - didn't even win conference, two losses were a 19-0 loss at Arizona State and the Big 12 title game to four-loss Texas

BYU (14-1) - won WAC title by 3 points and didn't play anyone of significance

Florida State (11-1) - won ACC and lost bowl game to Florida by only 30 points

Arizona State (11-1) - lost Rose Bowl to Ohio State in great game

Everybody else had two losses.

So who better than Florida, I'm curious?

Also - Joe Paterno has more unbeaten seasons than Coach Bryant and I think Chris Peterson is tied. And Coach Saban has one so not the best argument.

I'm no Florida or Spurrier fan but to blame the media for their 1996 title is not correct.
    Last edited by selmaborntidefan; April 14th, 2012 at 06:34 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I just love it when you start letting the facts ruin a good argument.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American Tide Warrior's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact is Spurrier whines. Especially any time it does not go his way. I have never heard Spurrier really come out and say the reason his team lost was because the other coach or team was better. He always has some excuse. Last year it was always "IF" we had Lattimore, or because we had to use a new QB, because of the Garcia stuff. Even though he is suppose to be one of the best QB coaches in CFB. Always quick for an excuse. Never his fault or his own teams lack of effort, which Saban is real quick to point at for UA when they play beneath their capability.

That show that aired in the fall about the 1st SEC CG was perfect example of Spurrier being a cry baby. Before the season started in the interview he complained about the game. Did not want to have play UA basically, and he knew it would UA that year and UF did not have to play them during the season. He remembered how good they were the year before. Well that season did not go as planned and they dropped a few games. Later after his team was lucky to be in it he was interviewed and was praising the game because that was the only chance his team had to win the SEC, which they did not beat UA.

In short Spurrier is always quick with an excuse not really a jab for his short comings. His comments like this in the spring is just setting himself up for the fall. If USC makes it to the SECCG and plays UA but does not win his post game interview will be like I have said it is not hard for Saban to win at UA, trying not to give him credit. If they win he can go on to say I beat the greatest coach and team in the conference. Sorry for the rant but Spurrier I have no respect for and to be honest can not wait for the day he is out of coaching.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I like his comments on UGA. It seems to be true this year at least, but I doubt that's been a trend with Richt (except in the last 1 or 2 years). When he had Pollack and Greene, I don't remember many suspensions. His comments on CNS are spot on imho with a bit of bitterness. Yes, we've had a lot of success at Bama, but CNS has set an extremely high standard we haven't had since the Stallings era. Excluding his first season here, CNS has lost 5 games in 4 seasons. If that trend continues, his 10 year stretch will be close to what Bryant. I'd say that period of success in today's game would be a tougher accomplishment based on scholarship restrictions that level the playing field. No one will do as much for Bama as Bear did, but I think Saban can have a similar effect (just in a much more narrow timeframe).

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Bill, I just love it when you start letting the facts ruin a good argument.
    Yep, the facts will ruin a good argument more than just about anything
    :13

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

At the end of the day, Alabama will most likely be the recipient of the TWO greatest coaches in College Football.

not bad...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm watching the Carolina Chickens spring game right now. Spurrier was showing off the ring the players got for winning 11 games.

A team ring for winning 11 games? I'm glad we have higher standards for a "great" season.