Link: Spurrier latest words of wisdom

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
The fact is Spurrier whines. Especially any time it does not go his way. I have never heard Spurrier really come out and say the reason his team lost was because the other coach or team was better. He always has some excuse. Last year it was always "IF" we had Lattimore, or because we had to use a new QB, because of the Garcia stuff. Even though he is suppose to be one of the best QB coaches in CFB. Always quick for an excuse. Never his fault or his own teams lack of effort, which Saban is real quick to point at for UA when they play beneath their capability.

That show that aired in the fall about the 1st SEC CG was perfect example of Spurrier being a cry baby. Before the season started in the interview he complained about the game. Did not want to have play UA basically, and he knew it would UA that year and UF did not have to play them during the season. He remembered how good they were the year before. Well that season did not go as planned and they dropped a few games. Later after his team was lucky to be in it he was interviewed and was praising the game because that was the only chance his team had to win the SEC, which they did not beat UA.

In short Spurrier is always quick with an excuse not really a jab for his short comings. His comments like this in the spring is just setting himself up for the fall. If USC makes it to the SECCG and plays UA but does not win his post game interview will be like I have said it is not hard for Saban to win at UA, trying not to give him credit. If they win he can go on to say I beat the greatest coach and team in the conference. Sorry for the rant but Spurrier I have no respect for and to be honest can not wait for the day he is out of coaching.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I like his comments on UGA. It seems to be true this year at least, but I doubt that's been a trend with Richt (except in the last 1 or 2 years). When he had Pollack and Greene, I don't remember many suspensions. His comments on CNS are spot on imho with a bit of bitterness. Yes, we've had a lot of success at Bama, but CNS has set an extremely high standard we haven't had since the Stallings era. Excluding his first season here, CNS has lost 5 games in 4 seasons. If that trend continues, his 10 year stretch will be close to what Bryant. I'd say that period of success in today's game would be a tougher accomplishment based on scholarship restrictions that level the playing field. No one will do as much for Bama as Bear did, but I think Saban can have a similar effect (just in a much more narrow timeframe).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm watching the Carolina Chickens spring game right now. Spurrier was showing off the ring the players got for winning 11 games.

A team ring for winning 11 games? I'm glad we have higher standards for a "great" season.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don't know. I read half of the posts on this thread and think we need to lighten up. Spurrier is Spurrier, I like the guy, he says what he thinks whether it is right or wrong. I don't agree with what he says, but I get tired of coach speak and PC comments. SOS has always considered Alabama a special place, and his comments were true in that respect. Coach Saban was hugely successful at LSU, but not at the level he is at ALABAMA. As far as coaches , Saban vs Spurrier, Saban any day, best coach, best recruiter, best motivator in the game. What Spurrier did at Duke,, a historically loser school and at USCe, a historically loser school is tremendous. A pretty good coach in my book and has earned the right to say what he thinks. ok, hammer away

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
I don't know. I read half of the posts on this thread and think we need to lighten up. Spurrier is Spurrier, I like the guy, he says what he thinks whether it is right or wrong. I don't agree with what he says, but I get tired of coach speak and PC comments. SOS has always considered Alabama a special place, and his comments were true in that respect. Coach Saban was hugely successful at LSU, but not at the level he is at ALABAMA. As far as coaches , Saban vs Spurrier, Saban any day, best coach, best recruiter, best motivator in the game. What Spurrier did at Duke,, a historically loser school and at USCe, a historically loser school is tremendous. A pretty good coach in my book and has earned the right to say what he thinks. ok, hammer away
I agree.

Won conference at Duke (atrocious program), turned Fla into national power and won championship (they weren't that great historically), and has made SC one of the better teams in the SEC (another atrocious program). And he's funny. Love Darth Visor.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
He did not stay at either school long enough to know. And when he got to Alabama we had the benefit of the fact that he'd grown and learned so much as a head coach.

He was very well on his way at LSU. It is not a stretch at all to say that had he stayed in Baton Rouge, he would have at least 2 more NCs in addition to the 1 he won in 2003 (Miles won 1 and was in contention for another).

I did try to clarify that whatever ceiling any program has, Coach Saban would take that program there. At Michigan State, maybe that is contention for an NC every 4 years. At say, Mississippi State, maybe that is averaging 8 wins per year.

But you give me every school in the country that is on Alabama's level of recruiting ability and program prestige. USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc. Put Nick Saban there and he does what he's done at Alabama. We're not exactly sitting on a recruiting hotbed in this state. I'd say it ranks behind California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, and maybe states like Ohio and Virginia. But we are near several of those states. Make no mistake, Coach Saban has had to work his tail off to produce what he has produced here. As special as this program is (and it certainly is very special), I do believe he could have similar success at several other schools.
That is not what you originally said, this is:
What Coach Saban has done at Alabama, he would have done almost anywhere else. Now, I'm not talking about Ole Miss when I say that. I'm talking about LSU (obviously, he was on his way there), Auburn (yes, he would have), Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas A&M.
He would not have done it at AU (no he wouldn't have), UT, So Car, A&M. That was my point - he could not do it anywhere. In fact, he did not do it at MSU or LSU, though LSU was close. He may have done it at USC, Texas, OU.

Saban thinks Bama is more centrally located in the South's prime recruiting area than any other program. (I forgot what he considers the radius - 250/300/500 miles.) But who you are is very important: Miss State is 90 miles from Tuscaloosa.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
I'm sorry but I'm not letting this pass because it is at variance with every bit of evidence that exists.

1) Ohio State lost their last game against Michigan at home by four points.

2) Florida lost by 3 on the road to an unbeaten team.

3) Nebraska lost their second game in the first Big XII title game to Texas.

4) Arizona State was unbeaten.

5) There was no BCS in 1996.

6) The bowl matchups were predetermined. Ohio State and Arizona State HAD to play in the Rose Bowl, Florida in the Sugar.

7) If Ohio State had not choked then the Rose Bowl would have been unbeaten Ohio St vs unbeaten Arizona St

8) Florida then thumped 9-2 Alabama by 15 points. How good was Alabama? Two plays from an undefeated season until the UF game.

9) Florida only got a rematch because Nebraska lost. Had Nebraska won then Nebraska would have met unbeaten number one FSU in the Orange Bowl or Fiesta Bowl.

10) Because of potential controversy with ASU, the Noles HAD to play the highest ranked eligible team - #4 Florida.

11) Florida needed an ASU loss to even have a chance. ASU had shut out two-time defending champ Nebraska. Had ASU won, Florida likely had no shot.

12) Realizing the predicament Spurrier ran up the score.

Think what you will about SOS but his title was earned. You complained about Florida losing their last game. But so did Ohio State and Nebraska. And then so did ASU & FSU. Florida beat a 10-win and 11-win team in it's last two games. And when it was all over, Florida had one loss like everybody else, played the toughest schedule by far, and beat #1 by 30 points.

Given how similar that is to 2011 Alabama I'd be curious to hear who you think should have won the 1996 title if not Florida.

HERE ARE YOUR CHOICES:

Florida (12-1) - toughest schedule in nation with a three-point loss on road at #1

Ohio State (11-1) - won Big Ten title, lost by 4 at home to 8-4 Michigan

Nebraska (11-2) - didn't even win conference, two losses were a 19-0 loss at Arizona State and the Big 12 title game to four-loss Texas

BYU (14-1) - won WAC title by 3 points and didn't play anyone of significance

Florida State (11-1) - won ACC and lost bowl game to Florida by only 30 points

Arizona State (11-1) - lost Rose Bowl to Ohio State in great game

Everybody else had two losses.

So who better than Florida, I'm curious?

Also - Joe Paterno has more unbeaten seasons than Coach Bryant and I think Chris Peterson is tied. And Coach Saban has one so not the best argument.

I'm no Florida or Spurrier fan but to blame the media for their 1996 title is not correct.
Nice post. I had forgotten Nebraska was #3 and lost in the B12 title game, and thought Florida had been voted #3 instead.

However, I still think it a raw deal in any case for FSU to beat UK at the tail end of November, then have to face them in their very next game. Also, if not for the Rose Bowl mess, ASU would likely have played FSU in the Fiesta as #1 vs #2.

Instead, ASU met Ohio State, and Plummer led a TD drive that culminated with a minute left, giving ASU the lead. With a possible NC at stake, the ASU defens ecould not stop Joe Germaine and OSU from moving down the field for the winning TD.

You are correct this was not voter contrived, and I was mistaken. However, UF was VERY LUCKY to see Nebraska lose to Texas, and then ASU blow the lead in the final minute. Florida also had the good fortune of getting FSU indoors on a fast turf track, which was to their benefit.

As far as undefeated seasons, PSU and Paterno played a very weak schedule, which is why they did not receieve the NC nod in some of those undefeated years, particularly in the late 60s.

And Peterson has 2 against the pathetic schedule BSU plays, but Coach Bryant has 61, 66, and 79.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
Nice post. I had forgotten Nebraska was #3 and lost in the B12 title game, and thought Florida had been voted #3 instead.

However, I still think it a raw deal in any case for FSU to beat UK at the tail end of November, then have to face them in their very next game. Also, if not for the Rose Bowl mess, ASU would likely have played FSU in the Fiesta as #1 vs #2.

Instead, ASU met Ohio State, and Plummer led a TD drive that culminated with a minute left, giving ASU the lead. With a possible NC at stake, the ASU defens ecould not stop Joe Germaine and OSU from moving down the field for the winning TD.

You are correct this was not voter contrived, and I was mistaken. However, UF was VERY LUCKY to see Nebraska lose to Texas, and then ASU blow the lead in the final minute. Florida also had the good fortune of getting FSU indoors on a fast turf track, which was to their benefit.

As far as undefeated seasons, PSU and Paterno played a very weak schedule, which is why they did not receieve the NC nod in some of those undefeated years, particularly in the late 60s.

And Peterson has 2 against the pathetic schedule BSU plays, but Coach Bryant has 61, 66, and 79.
\

Since I know you have such an appreciation of facts Selma, I thought you may want to be apprised of your erroneous views about Coach Bryant and BSU Petersons undefeated seasons

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I think his comments go hand in hand with comments I've heard over the last few years about Saban never being able to eclipse Bear Bryant. I hear on the radio all the time that Alabama will always be a Bear Bryant school and never a Saban school, no matter how much he wins.

Where does this come from, and why does it matter? I'm almost 28, and Coach Bryant died over a year before I was born. Unless you're 40 or older, you probably don't remember very much about Bear Bryant as a coach. Even at 40, you were 11 when he passed away?

I'm extremely appreciative of what Coach Bryant did for the University of Alabama, but he wasn't the first coach to win here. Our tradition didn't start with him, and I don't understand the notion that every other coach at Alabama is fighting to get out of his shadow. We've had 4 coaches win multiple National Championships, and Saban has won both of his in only 5 years here. If he sticks around another 5-10, there's no reason to think we don't end up with at least 2-3 more.

Unless some future coach down the road does more than Saban, then he'll always be the coach I think of when I think of Alabama football. That's not meant as disrespect to Coach Bryant, but he died before I was born. I know his accomplishments the same way many of you know Frank Thomas & Wallace Wade's. I watch it on film, but I didn't live it.

Sorry Spurrier, but Saban did go somewhere else and win. He lead LSU to their first National Championship in 45 years and only their 2nd in school history. Saban's accomplishment's stand on their own, he doesn't have to win 6 to escape the shadow.
You are correct on all counts. I am 53. I grew up with Namath and Stabler as my football heros. I was in school at the University when Alabama won back-to-back national championships in the late 70's under Bryant (and I attended the NC games). But, as you wisely state, our football tradition did not begin or end with the Bear. I can only imagine what Alabama football was like under Wallace Wade or Frank Thomas. By the same token, you cannot know what it was like to experience Bear Bryant's two decades of college football dominance. None of this matters. What does matter is the continuation of the the winning tradition.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That is not what you originally said, this is:

He would not have done it at AU (no he wouldn't have), UT, So Car, A&M. That was my point - he could not do it anywhere. In fact, he did not do it at MSU or LSU, though LSU was close. He may have done it at USC, Texas, OU.

Saban thinks Bama is more centrally located in the South's prime recruiting area than any other program. (I forgot what he considers the radius - 250/300/500 miles.) But who you are is very important: Miss State is 90 miles from Tuscaloosa.
My entire point is, whatever a program's best possible potential is, Nick Saban would take them there.

He would do it at Auburn. Gene Chizik wins an NC at Auburn and you don't think Nick Saban would be able to? He would have taken LSU as far or farther than he's taken Alabama. He won on NC at LSU, and Les Miles has won one and played for another. I think Nick Saban is better than Miles.

Texas has more recruiting ability than Alabama has ever had. He would do it at Texas. He is poaching recruits from Georgia. Put him at Georgia and he gets those recruits there and he does it at Georgia. Of course Florida and Florida State sit on top of hundreds of prospects, many of which are 4 and 5 star players. He'd win big at either school.

I believe he would win big at any big school sitting near the nation's elite talent. And at any other school, he'd win as much as possible. That's my point. He's the best coach in the country, IMO.

Crimson1963

Apr 4, 2012
Bristow, VA
Ha! The ol Ball Coach trying to use a little bait and switch............go somewhere other than Alabama.....ha, like into a another conference maybe coach? YOU WISH!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.