Link: Spurrier latest words of wisdom

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Steve likes the sound of his own voice. Always has. Still, I find him an interesting character, and nearly always good for a chuckle.
I like him, too. I lived in Knoxville during the Peyton years. Spurrier always had some kind of dig against Fulmer, which made all the locals mad. I figure anybody that rags on Fulmer can't be half bad.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
His comments about Saban frankly stink of "I could be as good as you but I ended up at damn South Carolina from the NFL'"

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
His jokes have grown a bit shrill and thin to me. When Saban was hired, Spurrier was a very interested and that interest wasn't returned. That has colored his remarks since then...
I have to admit I actually wanted Spurrier, even more than Saban. Perhaps this has to do with my being out of the country half of Saban's time at LSU, but I felt pretty confident in Spurrier's ability to come to Alabama and do great. He wouldn't have done as well as Saban, but I'm sure he would have done quite well.

While I have to humbly eat my words, in that while I was very happy with Saban, I probably liked Spurrier a bit more as a coach, at the time... I do think he had to be a clear #2. Was Alabama really more interested in Rich Rod than Spurrier? I'd have my feelings hurt to if that was the case.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I just hope he knows when to quit and doesn't end up like ole Lou, a caricature of his former self.
Thanks for ruining my day. :eek2:

I just pictured a dystopian future where Steve Spurrier, Mark May and Rece Davis were sitting around discussing College Football. Steve loves to talk, loves the sound of his voice, ESPN would love to have him. I'm afraid I could really see this happening. :frown:

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
“I think it’s Saban. He’s considered the best. Les Miles is considered one of the best, when you look at number of wins. I believe you’re as good as your record. You are whatever your record is. Don’t give me any excuses or that you can’t win at this place.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/41850/no-turning-back-for-spurrier-gamecocks
I personally don't care for Spurrier, but he is an excellent football coach and statements like this give me even more respect for him.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
In the decade of the 70's we lost eleven games and won three national titles.

Eleven losses in ten years.

Coach Saban has lost eleven in five years.

So if he goes undefeated for the next five years and wins one more title he'll have matched Coach Bryant for a ten year run.
Unfair comparison.... you're comparing Saban's first 5 years to Bryant's (roughly) last 10 years.... Bryant already had, what, 15 years into the program before his run in the 70's.... I mean no disrespect to Coach Bryant... I'm as big a fan as anybody who never actually saw the man coach, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.... Saban probably won't even be around long enough for us to know what his program would be like in it's 15 - 25th year.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have to admit I actually wanted Spurrier, even more than Saban. Perhaps this has to do with my being out of the country half of Saban's time at LSU, but I felt pretty confident in Spurrier's ability to come to Alabama and do great. He wouldn't have done as well as Saban, but I'm sure he would have done quite well.

While I have to humbly eat my words, in that while I was very happy with Saban, I probably liked Spurrier a bit more as a coach, at the time... I do think he had to be a clear #2. Was Alabama really more interested in Rich Rod than Spurrier? I'd have my feelings hurt to if that was the case.
These communications generally go back and forth through agents. Saban and Spurrier (and many other prominent coaches) share Sexton. Spurrier indicated his interest through that conduit. Saban indicated his interest the same way. My information at the time came through Sexton and I had more than one source there. By the time we were looking, Spurrier's decline in work ethic was well known. Also, his age worked against him. I know he's fielded decent teams since then, but that was still in the future at the time. He didn't look as good then as now. Also, Rich Rod was a hot commodity at the time. His flop at UM was still in the future. FWIW, Mal never wanted RR. Saban was his preferred target all along. I'm not going to say anything about the RR episode, except not our finest hour...

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I must admit when people at the university told me Spurrier was pretty much told thanks but no thanks, I was sad becasue I wanted to hear his post game slams against UT after Alabama beat them. When I was told that Saban was in play I was thrilled because me and my brother use to watch LSU and say why can't Alabama get a coach like Saban. Anyway back on topic I think Spurrier is simply stating the obvious that winning at Alabama is not the hardest thing in the world to do but when you start stacking NCS like Saban you have to be on the short list of greatest coaches of all time. I mean if the choker Bobby B is considered one of the greatest then Saban has to be top three.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
In response to one poster: IMO, Saban would not have done what he did at Bama at other schools. He did not at MSU or LSU. Saban is a historically great coach, but Bama is a magical football school. He would have been successful, but not to the extent he has been at Bama.

The 70's ('70-'79) was a phenominal run but Bama lost 16, though only 4 SEC games the 11 years from '71-'81. The SEC was not as powerful then as now or in the 60's - the first golden era of the SEC (Bryant, Vaught, Dietzel/McClendon, Dodd, Butts/Dooley, Wyatt/Dickey, Jordan, Graves. All HoF coaches. The SEC had a team finish #1 or #2 in 9 of 12 AP polls from '56-'67 and in 2 of the 3 years they didn't, a team finished #3 including Bama's '66 team. That was from 5 different SEC programs. 6 times they had multiple top 5 teams and twice they had 3 teams in the top 5.).

Saban can certainly match Coach Bryant at this point in his Bama career. What he has done in his first 5 years, especially considering the talent level and psyche of the program at his hiring, is remarkable. It's arguable that no one has ever done as much. I was a little boy when Coach Bryant majestically strode onto the scene, but I remember it well. What he did from '61-'66 in a very tough league was transcedent (60-5-1 with 3 NCs). But Coach Saban need take no backseat. They are both the greatest coaches of their era and may end up 1-2 all time.

It is interesting that Coach Bryant came to Bama after the worst 10-year stretch in Bama history in winning % (50%. Since 1894 Bama has never had a losing 10 year period.). Coach Saban came to Bama after the worst 10-year stretch in number of losses (53).

Last edited:

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
Spurrier is a tired old act, and no one ever seems to hold his feet to the fire.

In his UF Heyday, SOS lead a program that had its star players on payroll system provided by a wannabe agent, for some 18 months. SOS was allowed to use the "I didn't know" defense line for something he SHOULD have at least suspected and pursued.

He also came up with the ridiculous style of rotating QBs every play, coddled Garcia all of his time at SCe, and for all the hype, Spurrier has never really developed a star QB. SOS brought his system into the SEC at a perfect time, especially with the hash marks being widened.

Spurrier has one NC in 1996, a product of a truly ridiculous rematch pitting them against a FSU team that had just beaten them in the FINAL GAME of the regular season - truly a voter contrived title.

SOS has never had an undefeated season. His act is stale, and I think he is becoming a bitter old coot.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In response to one poster: IMO, Saban would not have done what he did at Bama at other schools. He did not at MSU or LSU. Saban is a historically great coach, but Bama is a magical football school. He would have been successful, but not to the extent he has been at Bama.
He did not stay at either school long enough to know. And when he got to Alabama we had the benefit of the fact that he'd grown and learned so much as a head coach.

He was very well on his way at LSU. It is not a stretch at all to say that had he stayed in Baton Rouge, he would have at least 2 more NCs in addition to the 1 he won in 2003 (Miles won 1 and was in contention for another).

I did try to clarify that whatever ceiling any program has, Coach Saban would take that program there. At Michigan State, maybe that is contention for an NC every 4 years. At say, Mississippi State, maybe that is averaging 8 wins per year.

But you give me every school in the country that is on Alabama's level of recruiting ability and program prestige. USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc. Put Nick Saban there and he does what he's done at Alabama. We're not exactly sitting on a recruiting hotbed in this state. I'd say it ranks behind California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, and maybe states like Ohio and Virginia. But we are near several of those states. Make no mistake, Coach Saban has had to work his tail off to produce what he has produced here. As special as this program is (and it certainly is very special), I do believe he could have similar success at several other schools.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Spurrier has one NC in 1996, a product of a truly ridiculous rematch pitting them against a FSU team that had just beaten them in the FINAL GAME of the regular season - truly a voter contrived title.

SOS has never had an undefeated season. His act is stale, and I think he is becoming a bitter old coot.
I'm sorry but I'm not letting this pass because it is at variance with every bit of evidence that exists.

1) Ohio State lost their last game against Michigan at home by four points.

2) Florida lost by 3 on the road to an unbeaten team.

3) Nebraska lost their second game in the first Big XII title game to Texas.

4) Arizona State was unbeaten.

5) There was no BCS in 1996.

6) The bowl matchups were predetermined. Ohio State and Arizona State HAD to play in the Rose Bowl, Florida in the Sugar.

7) If Ohio State had not choked then the Rose Bowl would have been unbeaten Ohio St vs unbeaten Arizona St

8) Florida then thumped 9-2 Alabama by 15 points. How good was Alabama? Two plays from an undefeated season until the UF game.

9) Florida only got a rematch because Nebraska lost. Had Nebraska won then Nebraska would have met unbeaten number one FSU in the Orange Bowl or Fiesta Bowl.

10) Because of potential controversy with ASU, the Noles HAD to play the highest ranked eligible team - #4 Florida.

11) Florida needed an ASU loss to even have a chance. ASU had shut out two-time defending champ Nebraska. Had ASU won, Florida likely had no shot.

12) Realizing the predicament Spurrier ran up the score.

Think what you will about SOS but his title was earned. You complained about Florida losing their last game. But so did Ohio State and Nebraska. And then so did ASU & FSU. Florida beat a 10-win and 11-win team in it's last two games. And when it was all over, Florida had one loss like everybody else, played the toughest schedule by far, and beat #1 by 30 points.

Given how similar that is to 2011 Alabama I'd be curious to hear who you think should have won the 1996 title if not Florida.

HERE ARE YOUR CHOICES:

Florida (12-1) - toughest schedule in nation with a three-point loss on road at #1

Ohio State (11-1) - won Big Ten title, lost by 4 at home to 8-4 Michigan

Nebraska (11-2) - didn't even win conference, two losses were a 19-0 loss at Arizona State and the Big 12 title game to four-loss Texas

BYU (14-1) - won WAC title by 3 points and didn't play anyone of significance

Florida State (11-1) - won ACC and lost bowl game to Florida by only 30 points

Arizona State (11-1) - lost Rose Bowl to Ohio State in great game

Everybody else had two losses.

So who better than Florida, I'm curious?

Also - Joe Paterno has more unbeaten seasons than Coach Bryant and I think Chris Peterson is tied. And Coach Saban has one so not the best argument.

I'm no Florida or Spurrier fan but to blame the media for their 1996 title is not correct.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.