BamaNation First Team Rattlehead82's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Lurking on TideFans.com

What your thoughts on Axl Rose turning down the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Guns N' Roses is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. Most of the former band members will be there. Two notable exceptions are Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose. Most fans of GNR already know that Izzy has fewer sitings than Bigfoot, Nessie and intelligent auburn fans. And while Axl was the same way for a number of years, he's been out of that shell for some time now with his new album and random appearances here and there.

Axl seems to be catching a lot of hate for declining the invitation and chance to play with his former band mates; while Izzy hasn't. My friend pointed out that it was probably because Axl put out some long winded letter stating his reasons for declining, which I'm sure has contributed to the hate.

Does anyone have a strong feeling either way about this? Is Axl being disrespectful? Should people have seen this coming and not be surprised? Should he be getting all the flak he's been getting?

I'm of the opinion that Axl shouldn't feel obligated to do something he doesn't want to do. I seem to be in the minority according to comments on the articles and discussions I've had with my friends.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: What your thoughts on Axl Rose turning down the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Axl has done nothing but irritate me from the moment GnR broke up. I agree that he is perfectly entitled to not go, and even to ask that his name be left off the induction, blah-blah-blah. However, I think it's disrespectful to the fans who supported GnR and love their music. No matter how the individual band members feel about each other and their experiences with each other, I think they need to appreciate the fact that, together, they created something pretty amazing and touched a lot of lives in the process. I think THAT, in and of itself, is reason to accept the induction, show up, and say "thank you."

Instead, Axl is doing what Axl always does - he's made it entirely about himself, not the band, not the music, and certainly not about the fans.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

BamaNation First Team Rattlehead82's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Lurking on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Instead, Axl is doing what Axl always does - he's made it entirely about himself, not the band, not the music, and certainly not about the fans.
    This is why I'm surprised at the uproar. Axl is just being himself. Everyone should have seen this coming. It's well known Axl is not on the best of terms with some of his former band mates. I just can't blame him for not wanting to go through that.

I'm also curious why Izzy isn't getting the same vitriol that Axl is.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead82 View Post

I'm also curious why Izzy isn't getting the same vitriol that Axl is.
    I think because Izzy was "just" a band member. Axl was the face and voice of one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Girls wanted to be with him and guys wanted to be him. His was the personality that "made" the band, so people have always either loved him or hated him. That's not going to change now. I think most fans expected him to act this way, but expecting it doesn't make one any less irritated by it, IMO.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

I wonder if Sacheen Littlefeather is available to decline the award for him
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    I wonder if Sacheen Littlefeather is available to decline the award for him
    Not gonna lie...I had to google it to get the reference.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm now wondering how little it actually takes to get into the Rock N Roll HOF these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bamanut_aj View Post
    I'm now wondering how little it actually takes to get into the Rock N Roll HOF these days.
    This! They had one very good album, an afterthought of an EP (Lies), and a colossal mess (Use Your Illusion). However, they were at least a rock band and should be in over acts like Madonna, Abba, the Beastie Boys, etc...

I don't blame Axl, but as the front-man who's still out there with a reconstituted GNR, I can see why he's taking some heat. I don't think Izzy has been heard of since the Ju-Ju Hounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Maybe they should just revoke the invite and ask a few other more deserving bands?

No offense.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I actually owned The Ju Ju Hounds CD. Somebody stole it and I didnít care. I think Axlís main beef is with Slash. Those two just donít get along at all.
    There are two rules in life:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.