ATH Deon Johnson discussion- Bama has stopped recruiting

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: *** ATH Deon Johnson commits to Alabama ***

Where are people getting the idea the victim was his girlfriend? I don't see anything in the al.com link to suggest that.

BTW - saw something the other day that Alabama may raise the age of consent to 18. Just a FYI.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I think it was speculated that it MAY be a case of him having a girlfriend who is younger than 16 and they had consensual sex--even though an under 16 year old can't consent LEGALLY, she can willingly have sex. This can apply to any old girl, though.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011

Where are people getting the idea the victim was his girlfriend? I don't see anything in the al.com link to suggest that.

BTW - saw something the other day that Alabama may raise the age of consent to 18. Just a FYI.
Well, the supposed charges would not indicate force, so it appears to be illegal, "consensual" contact. That is a misnomer though since depending on the ages here consent is legally impossible. I guess "girlfriend" can be used loosely. A stud athlete may have a few "girlfriends."
Complete stranger would seem less likely. It isn't like kids meet in daek bars on business trips. To HS kids in the same community there is no more than one degree of separation between everyone.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

^THIS.

I love how he has already been convicted before even being tried. SMH. Could be worse than statutory, but we won't know until the facts come out. Until then, last time I checked--innocent until PROVEN guilty.
A concept we might try to recall when the story involves a kid committed to another school.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

Very sad situation and hope the victim and the family are ok as well as I hope Deon Johnson can turn his life around. Whether it's "consensual" rape or not, it's still a form of rape under the laws of Alabama and I hope he can learn from his mistakes.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

We'll just have to wait and see what comes about from this. If he's found guilty he just threw away a very promising career, but if not then it is sad how he got charged to begin with. Time will ultimately tell.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

This is a great example of why I hate modern media. I got a text alert today from ESPN saying "Top Alabama Commit has been arrested for rape." Naturally my first thought is exactly what I'm seeing here on this board, "he has to have his scholly removed", "he's an idiot", "I hope he rots in jail". The problem with this is he's only been arrested, not convicted.

This is more than likely a consensual affair with an underage girl. While that's terrible, it's not rape. I think we all need to let the cards play out before we pass judgement on the kid. One thing about it, Saban will take care of everything because he knows a lot more about the situation then we do. I vote we let the scenario play it's self out before we convict him of being a child molesting, doped up, gun running, murderer. As bad of a situation as this is, there is no one I would rather have handling this situation than Coach Saban.

(I do want to clarify one thing real quick. I in no way condone the actions committed by Deon, whether it was consensual or not. Some people need to learn to keep it in their pants, and he apparently is one of those people. However, he wouldn't be the first person who is falsely accused of something like this, so let's not convict him until the law does.)

Roll Tide!!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

This is what does it for me:

"Beedy said the incident in question happened between December and a week ago in Daphne."

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Deon Johnson, top WR prospect and Alabama commit, arrested on charges of rape and

I think yahoo went a little overboard with his status as a recruit.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Re: Deon Johnson, top WR prospect and Alabama commit, arrested on charges of rape and

Seriously, who compared him to Julio?

Also, since when was #40 in the athlete column, being a "top" ranked athlete. That's a pretty liberal definition of top. It reminds me of the days where the Bama recruiting sites would report the commitment of "blue chip" player X, because they were not a 4 or 5 star, were not a top ten state prospect and might not even be ranked by a service.

This guy projected and a non-qualifier, but suddenly the 2013 season depended on him.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Not sure how this went down but having two people arrested is a red flag to me. As far as age differences, I dated a Senior (captain of the cheerleaders) when I was a sophomore and dated a 15 year old freshman as a senior(she scouted me) and turned 18 at one point, but it was an innocent relationship.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Deon is still eligible to play for Spanish Fort. Today on Finebaum, Paul and a caller talked as though the victim is/was Deon's girlfriend.

Link

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

Not sure how this went down but having two people arrested is a red flag to me. As far as age differences, I dated a Senior (captain of the cheerleaders) when I was a sophomore and dated a 15 year old freshman as a senior(she scouted me) and turned 18 at one point, but it was an innocent relationship.
Capstone, you stud you. All about the ladies.:cool: :biggrin: Yeah baby!

CrimsonCarl

1st Team
Jun 16, 2010
Birmingham

First degree rape is a different story altogether:

Section 13A-6-61

Rape in the first degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of rape in the first degree if:
(1) He or she engages in sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex by forcible compulsion; or
(2) He or she engages in sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex who is incapable of consent by reason of being physically helpless or mentally incapacitated; or
(3) He or she, being 16 years or older, engages in sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex who is less than 12 years old.
(b) Rape in the first degree is a Class A felony.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.