ATH Deon Johnson discussion- Bama has stopped recruiting

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Re: Deon Johnson, top WR prospect and Alabama commit, arrested on charges of rape and

Is DHR usually involved in rape cases?
when the victim is a minor, yes. police, school, whoever she notified would have contacted DHR, they will follow up with help receiving counseling and other victim's services.
I disagree. If this is reported at school, the teacher/counselor/administrator calls the POLICE. Not DHR. I work with kids in dependency (DHR cases) and delinquency (criminal) and have NEVER had DHR called first in a rape case. In some situations, you will see families of victims or perpetrators already involved with DHR, but you still wouldn't contact DHR first. The first call ALWAYS goes to the police and they find out if DHR is currently involved with the family and if so, then they call intake or the case worker. If the family isn't currently involved with DHR the police calls the on-call worker who would then report to the police department to help interview the victim. A teacher/counselor/administrator only calls DHR first in cases of abuse and neglect. They have an obligation to report it. Criminal activity is different.

This being said, other counties may do things different from us, but if I rape was reported to me the first call I made would be to the police.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Deon Johnson, top WR prospect and Alabama commit, arrested on charges of rape and

I disagree. If this is reported at school, the teacher/counselor/administrator calls the POLICE. Not DHR. I work with kids in dependency (DHR cases) and delinquency (criminal) and have NEVER had DHR called first in a rape case. In some situations, you will see families of victims or perpetrators already involved with DHR, but you still wouldn't contact DHR first. The first call ALWAYS goes to the police and they find out if DHR is currently involved with the family and if so, then they call intake or the case worker. If the family isn't currently involved with DHR the police calls the on-call worker who would then report to the police department to help interview the victim. A teacher/counselor/administrator only calls DHR first in cases of abuse and neglect. They have an obligation to report it. Criminal activity is different.

This being said, other counties may do things different from us, but if I rape was reported to me the first call I made would be to the police.
I work in the state judicial system (granted, I'm not really involved with the judicial aspect), and I had never heard anyone say they got DHR involved. That is why I asked. Your post makes sense. Poke mentioned DHR making sure some counseling is provided, which I could see as well.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Re: *** ATH Deon Johnson commits to Alabama ***

100% dont get charged twice. I know they can't comment but, I'd be shocked if the coaches were even still talking to this kid. The obnoxious cleats he wore labor day weekend told me all I needed to know... It's all about him....
http://forejustice.org/db/Cotton--Ronald.html

Not saying he didn't do it, but it's a little too quick to convict him...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Is DHR usually involved in rape cases?
I work in the state judicial system (granted, I'm not really involved with the judicial aspect), and I had never heard anyone say they got DHR involved. That is why I asked. Your post makes sense. Poke mentioned DHR making sure some counseling is provided, which I could see as well.
Oh, I know. I was responding more to Poke. DHR does get called when juveniles are involved, they just aren't FIRST on speed dial. :)

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

I have no idea what happened here so I'll only comment on my High School days.

IF consensual sex between teenagers was criminal then (the '70's) half of my beloved school would have been charged.

I just hope no one is permanently scarred or imprisoned if this (consensual sex) is the case.

OTOH Should this turn out to be forcible rape then throw the book at him.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Eventually both the police and DHR would become involved of course, but the order is more or less dubious.

I didnt say they would contact DHR first, just that they would be contacted. DHR will usually get involved whenever there is a report of neglect or abuse, usually to provide follow up services for the victim after the police have ended their investigation. If i were to observe neglect or abuse our protocal is to make a report to DHR, a report to the police would then be filed by the worker if needed. if the police were contacted first, they would have contacted the county's DHR so that they could investigate and make sure there arent any other problems at home and to refer the family to appropriate services if they were needed.

Im a social worker as well, the organization i work for provides follow up services, like counseling, for DHR involved families, DHR would be contacted. a school would contact both to cover themselves under their duty to report. Technically anyone could have reported it to DHR. doesnt have to be a school.

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Eventually both the police and DHR would become involved of course, but the order is more or less dubious.

I didnt say they would contact DHR first, just that they would be contacted. DHR will usually get involved whenever there is a report of neglect or abuse, usually to provide follow up services for the victim after the police have ended their investigation. If i were to observe neglect or abuse our protocal is to make a report to DHR, a report to the police would then be filed by the worker if needed. if the police were contacted first, they would have contacted the county's DHR so that they could investigate and make sure there arent any other problems at home and to refer the family to appropriate services if they were needed.

Im a social worker as well, the organization i work for provides follow up services, like counseling, for DHR involved families, DHR would be contacted. a school would contact both to cover themselves under their duty to report. Technically anyone could have reported it to DHR. doesnt have to be a school.
So, we agree! We have a Child Advocacy Center here that specializes in forensic interviews of children so when a child rape victim is interviewed, there are usually no less than 3 people involved. The police, the DHR investigator and the forensic interviewer. On several occasions, I (as the child's attorney) have been allowed to watch the interview through the glass or on video.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

very disconcerting to see this ... 2x in 3 weeks? that's just ridiculous

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

We may not officially know, but based on the circumstances, I would say a scholly is at best a longshot right now. Hopefully he'll be vindicated, but you never know. Anyone know anything about the counselor at his HS? Just wondering if she that has West Gawga U connections. I would hope they wouldn't stoop that low, but you never know with them.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: ATH Deon Johnson discussion

Not so sure I'd say this is "sad" yet, if guilty he is "stupid". He can't say he made a mistake with two rapes (if true)

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Former Spanish Fort standout indicted; charged in 3rd rape

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/05/former_spanish_fort_standout_i.html#incart_river_default

A Baldwin County grand jury has added to the legal woes of a former football standout at Spanish Fort High School.

Deon "D.J." Johnson, 19, was arrested in 2012 on charges in two rape cases.

The grand jury indicted Johnson on charges in those two cases and in a third case in which he is charged with first-degree rape.

Deon "D.J." Johnson, indicted.

Johnson's next court date is set for May 22.

Details of the three cases pending against Johnson have not been made public.

The indictments do not list Johnson's accusers by name. They are identified only by three different sets of initials.

Johnson, a wide receiver, was recruited by the University of Alabama before he was arrested. He committed to playing football at the school, but the offer was taken away.

Sad!
:frown:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: Former Spanish Fort standout indicted; charged in 3rd rape

A third one???? Jesus Christ lets hope this fool never hits the streets again, much less worry over his football future. Thank God he never stepped foot on campus! (to stay that is)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

One of Deon's trials ended today. He was found not guilty. Link

A jury found a former Spanish Fort High School football standout not guilty of first-degree rape in connection with a 2012 sexual assault that happened in a bathroom.

A girl accused Deon Johnson, a former wide receiver, of raping her in a bathroom at Spirit Park in Spanish Fort on Feb. 18, 2012. She was 15 years old at the time.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

So, what were the circumstances in the Daphne case? Was this another "girlfriend" type situation? A girl 12 year of age or younger?

ETA: Found the article is this thread. They never said how old the girl was. FYI, a girl can SAY there was forcible complusion, but that doesn't mean it is true. Girls lie all the time when they get caught having sex. I JUST had this happen this week. Girl screwed random boy in bathroom at park, being afraid her boyfriend would find out, she cried rape. Truth came out and my kid was exonerated.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.