*** S Anthony Averett commits to Alabama ***

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: S Anthony Averett commits to Alabama...

Big time kid here, could be a star player quickly at the next level. He just fits the build of everything we look for in a DB. Very glad he pulled the trigger.

Hope the distance deal doesn't get us in the end. Usually the only time you see New Jersey kids at 'Bama is when students are watching Jersey Shore.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Big time kid here, could be a star player quickly at the next level. He just fits the build of everything we look for in a DB. Very glad he pulled the trigger.

Hope the distance deal doesn't get us in the end. Usually the only time you see New Jersey kids at 'Bama is when students are watching Jersey Shore.
IIRC, our best NJ player ever was Derrick Lassic.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Yes Lassic was from NY (and almost left Bama because of the distance)

I love this pickup like all the others, but Safeties seem to be nice pickups from that area so I'll take it!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Looked it up and Lassic came out of Haverstraw, New York, which is only about a 45-minute drive north of the City.

I'm sure there was a back-story for how he got to 'Bama, but I can't remember it now.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Looked it up and Lassic came out of Haverstraw, New York, which is only about a 45-minute drive north of the City.

I'm sure there was a back-story for how he got to 'Bama, but I can't remember it now.
The Sports Illustrated issue of the '92 championship just says that Lassic wanted to play somewhere warm and chose Bama over Georgia Tech.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

The Sports Illustrated issue of the '92 championship just says that Lassic wanted to play somewhere warm and chose Bama over Georgia Tech.
It seems like I recall him having some distant family in the South. I don't believe he ever spent a great deal of time here, though.

I do know he had some long-distance issues early on in Tuscaloosa. That's a long, long way for an 18-year old. Hopefully Averett handles it well.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

It seems like I recall him having some distant family in the South. I don't believe he ever spent a great deal of time here, though.

I do know he had some long-distance issues early on in Tuscaloosa. That's a long, long way for an 18-year old. Hopefully Averett handles it well.
Yeah, he had a girlfriend that was killed in a car wreck driving to Tuscaloosa from Montgomery that nearly sent him packing. In the article his dad talked him into staying then and another time. You never know about kids but if he has his families support like Derrick and Mark Ingram did then he will be ok I think.

RTOTA

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 25, 2012
wow, Averett sounds like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. Also the possibility of being an early enrolee makes him even better

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He won some state titles in track this weekend.

A star for Woodbury High School in Woodbury, N.J., Averett grabbed headlines earlier this year by posting the best long jump in New Jersey state history since Carl Lewis in 1979. This week Averett put on a show at the New Jersey state track championships with a long jump of 23 feet, 3 3/4 inches, a high jump of 6-4 and a 100-meter dash time of 10.91.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/05/tide_commit_anthony_averett_wi.html

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.