"Eddie will hopefully be able to come back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm concerned about Eddie. He came to the University knowing Mark and Trent were ahead of him, all the while being offered by other schools. He has waited his turn patiently and been a situational player. I hope for his sake that his toe heals back to 100% and he's able to continue with his career.

I hope so also. If he gets back to 100% he is every bit as good as Mark and very close to Trent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This may have been addressed earlier in the thread, but how does Eddie stay in football playing shape during the off season while letting his injury heal? I never played football or had his injury so... I am sure he has to run a lot.
They'll be very careful about running on that repaired joint, since he's still limping. I'd think he'd do a lot of stationary bike work, which won't stress the joint. Staying in FB shape, which means maintaining the hip flexors, IT band, hams, etc. is a problem, since the bike won't reach any of these. There are resistance exercises for these groups but they still can't simulate the moves needed on the FB field. It's basically walking a tight rope between rehab and reinjury...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
They'll be very careful about running on that repaired joint, since he's still limping. I'd think he'd do a lot of stationary bike work, which won't stress the joint. Staying in FB shape, which means maintaining the hip flexors, IT band, hams, etc. is a problem, since the bike won't reach any of these. There are resistance exercises for these groups but they still can't simulate the moves needed on the FB field. It's basically walking a tight rope between rehab and reinjury...
That makes sense and could be his biggest obstacle in being ready to play in September, conditioning. If he comes back to soon that could hurt him in the long run and it may be a situation where he needs to come back for a 5th year.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I've read this with concern, but it really hit me yesterday when I actually saw Eddie with a boot and limping. Like others I'm just amazed and saddened that a toe injury could go on and on. I wish him the best and hopefully a complete (or close to complete) recovery.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Whether Eddie is slowed by 'Turf Toe' or not I predict we will see the combo of AJ and TJ.
AJ and Hart. a good bit... Those guys have too much talent to keep on the bench very long.
We can always pound them with Fowler, hit corners with Hart, and let TJ run loose thru holes in the middle. I didn't even mention Blake Sims getting back into the running...
Our cupboard ain't bare.

And we have AJ as one of the better QB in the SEC.
From what I saw in the A-Day Game, Sims ain't no slouch either.

It looks like we will have a balanced offense this year.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Whether Eddie is slowed by 'Turf Toe' or not I predict we will see the combo of AJ and TJ.
AJ and Hart. a good bit... Those guys have too much talent to keep on the bench very long.
We can always pound them with Fowler, hit corners with Hart, and let TJ run loose thru holes in the middle. I didn't even mention Blake Sims getting back into the running...
Our cupboard ain't bare.

I agree..and even if capstones gut is right...and we sputter a bit offensively to begin with..the Defense still looks very capable of getting us through IF we run into trouble somewhere down the road. Very excited about our defense this year, which is crazy because the 2011 defense may be one of..if not the best defenses in modern college football history.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Our cupboard ain't bare.

Not sure that Blake Sims (the RB) will be ready to go by fall camp. That hip injury was serious.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Hopefully Drake will be able to redshirt since Yeldon will be a lock to play this season .

I'm concerned about Eddie. He came to the University knowing Mark and Trent were ahead of him, all the while being offered by other schools. He has waited his turn patiently and been a situational player. I hope for his sake that his toe heals back to 100% and he's able to continue with his career.
Lacy and Richardson were in the same signing class - '09 .

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Hopefully Drake will be able to redshirt since Yeldon will be a lock to play this season .

Lacy and Richardson were in the same signing class - '09 .
Lacy must have a very high competitive spirit. He came to Bama knowing a true Freshman had rushed for 700 yards averaging 5 yards in the SEC who was sure to be a lock, and that we were also signing the nations #1 in Trent. Just like Mark and Trent, he showed what he was made of instantly. After recovering from the fumble issue's, he has been solid as a rock. I wish him the best.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not sure that Blake Sims (the RB) will be ready to go by fall camp. That hip injury was serious.
No need to get into detail, but Sims' injury throws into question his return to the same level of performance. It's great that we have good young and upcoming talent, because we may need them...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
No need to get into detail, but Sims' injury throws into question his return to the same level of performance. It's great that we have good young and upcoming talent, because we may need them...

I recall you saying that earlier - hope the kid gets better, but the young guns better be ready. Drake may not redshirt and Hart's knee best be ready to go.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
How about we approach it this way? :) Dee Hart will be even better the next season than he will be this coming season. The post operative profile of the injury is well-known by now. It does take about twelve months. Hightower was right up front about it's being the second season back (which everyone clearly saw). I've been through the injury, rehab and return to sports, so my knowledge is not theoretical. One of the problems lies between the ears and it's there for everyone. For a while after return, every time you make a cut and something doesn't feel just right or you see a hit coming on that side, that injury is right there in your consciousness, whether you want it to be or not. Call it a loss of innocence, or maybe the perception of invincibility. We now have three top running backs who are presently injured or are coming off a significant injury. There's no way to sunshine pump that, no matter how many outstanding new backs we have or who are on the way. It's a concern. Period. I've come back around to the view that you just can't have too many good RBs. As a last comment, I'd add that I'd much rather be an OL coming back from an ACL than a RB or an LB, just because of the different demands made on the knee joint. JMHO, of course...
As much as I love football in general, and naturally Alabama football in particular, the human body was just not designed to play it (JMHO, of course).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As much as I love football in general, and naturally Alabama football in particular, the human body was just not designed to play it (JMHO, of course).
To explain why it works on your mind, the first time you tear an ACL, it hurts like hell. When they put in a graft - of any sort - it serves as a scaffold into which your own cells grow, bringing their own vascular system. Meanwhile, the original graft dies and is weakest at around 3-4 months. The graft is the strongest the day they put it in and around a year later, it's regained normal strength. However, the new tissue doesn't generate new nerves. When you tear a graft, the most you normally feel is sort of an odd feeling of something giving way. The geometry of the knee changes with a graft, so that everything feels a little odd. That causes you to worry a lot when you're making a maneuver you know is placing a strain on the graft. It just about ruined my pleasure in snow skiing...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The new head trauma studies coming out claiming that only a handful of concussions can cause irreversible detectable brain damage at some point in your life has parents finding alternative sports for their children. This is the biggest threat to football ever......and we though it was hockey that was the dangerous sport.

But you cannot overdue the solutions. Nascar did, and is finding out the hard way that people aren't going to pay a weeks salary to bring their family to a tank race knowing an injury is practically impossible. I sometimes feel like I was born 2000 years too late.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Y'all talk about EL's fumbles like it cost us games or something. He fumbled maybe twice in mopup duty.
Holy crap, thank you. It's so annoying to me when people say that Lacy had "fumble issues." One of his TWO fumbles was a freak collision with a helmet that not even Ingram or Richardson could have held onto. Kinda like Roman Harper's noggin caused the fumble in the '05 UT game.

And Lacy's fumbles didn't "cost him playing time," he was just the 3rd RB behind Mark and Trent. There aren't many backs that would take meaningful PT from ONE of those guys, much less BOTH...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Holy crap, thank you. It's so annoying to me when people say that Lacy had "fumble issues." One of his TWO fumbles was a freak collision with a helmet that not even Ingram or Richardson could have held onto. Kinda like Roman Harper's noggin caused the fumble in the '05 UT game.

And Lacy's fumbles didn't "cost him playing time," he was just the 3rd RB behind Mark and Trent. There aren't many backs that would take meaningful PT from ONE of those guys, much less BOTH...
I think he had something of a history of fumbling in HS. I know the LSU fans taunted us over it, despite the fact that he was a Superprep All-American. Of course, they offered him also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.