"Eddie will hopefully be able to come back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The truth is it did, but so what, it's history now. I guess we can revise history if you want, but I know that he was playing a certain amount, fumbled twice in a short span and his snaps decreased drastically for a short time, seems like it was right before half time against San Jose. He soon put it behind him, and there are at least a hundred articles about him putting the problem behind him before last season. What's the big deal to mention his entire history? Eddie Lacy is an NFL caliber back period. Overcoming obstacles to become better is what this country is about. We all love the guy and are glad he's on our side. I find his story more interesting overcoming the three fumbles in a short span early in his career. It dogged him, but he fought through it. Hooray!

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
The new head trauma studies coming out claiming that only a handful of concussions can cause irreversible detectable brain damage at some point in your life has parents finding alternative sports for their children. This is the biggest threat to football ever......and we though it was hockey that was the dangerous sport.

But you cannot overdue the solutions. Nascar did, and is finding out the hard way that people aren't going to pay a weeks salary to bring their family to a tank race knowing an injury is practically impossible. I sometimes feel like I was born 2000 years too late.
LOL the part bolded! I have been a big fan of Nascar over 30 years, went to Talladega to many times to count as well as Daytona, Atlanta, Bristol and Charlotte and I have not once heard a fan who wanted and only went to see drivers injured! Wrecks, collisions? Oh yes! But no one wants to see someone killed or hurt! That is a football problem just ask the NFL about bounties! ;)

Nascar's downfall had nothing to do with injuries I promise!!! Now a good fist'a'cuffs in the pits or after a wreck was always entertaining lol!!! ;)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
LOL the part bolded! I have been a big fan of Nascar over 30 years, went to Talladega to many times to count as well as Daytona, Atlanta, Bristol and Charlotte and I have not once heard a fan who wanted and only went to see drivers injured! Wrecks, collisions? Oh yes! But no one wants to see someone killed or hurt! That is a football problem just ask the NFL about bounties! ;) Nascar's downfall had nothing to do with injuries I promise!!! Now a good fist'a'cuffs in the pits or after a wreck was always entertaining lol!!! ;)
You may be correct, or for a segment, but Nascar is not convinced. There are articles that are discussing this right now. It's a grey area for our society. Of course we don't want to see a lot of injuries, but I don't think the masses want a injury proof sport either. It is taboo, but if the question is being gently asked by the media right now, there might be some truth to it. No one is going to say they want more injuries, but it may have taken some of suspense and danger out of the sport that people subconsciously were attracted to for those reasons. Do you understand where I am coming from? I don't want to sound like someone that is pro injury here.

It's more exciting watching the highwire without a net, that has been proven. We want them to make a dangerous journey safely. It's in our DNA.

USA TODAY: Did NASCAR go too far in promoting driver safety?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2011-02-18-safety_N.htm

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
You may be correct, but Nascar is not convinced. There are articles that are discussing this right now. It's a grey area for our society. Of course we don't want to see a lot of injuries, but I don't think the masses want a injury proof sport either. It is taboo, but if the question is being gently asked by the media right now, there might be some truth to it. No one is going to say they want more injuries, but it may have taken some of suspense and danger out of the sport that people subconsciously were attracted to for those reasons. Do you understand where I am coming from? I don't want to sound like someone that is pro injury here.
Oh I understand where you are coming from. No one wants to see sissy football with no hitting and as far as injuries goes I have been hit between the eyes with a baseball pitching, sprained an ankle playing basketball and had to have knee surgery after getting hurt playing pickup tackle football in the yard lol! Injuries are inevitable and to not play because of the possibilities of being injured are as paranoid as it gets in my opinion. Got a great chance in getting killed or hurt in a car wreck on the way to Wal-Mart lol! I fell off my porch one time and I still have back problems lol! ;)

Nascar did a lot of their harm to themselves trying to make it a family sport and stretching out in markets that were not the roots of the sport to begin with. It would be like college football expanding and playing games in Europe or somewhere over seas. The only teams that could afford to do it would be the big time schools and most of their fans at home wouldn't be able to go over there and see it. Dale Earnhardt Jr. not doing any better than he has after senior died as well as the economy didn't help either. Of course NASCAR figured if they raised the price it would weed out the good ole boy crowd that made it what it was to begin with. So there went us folks who can't afford a weeks pay to go to a race lol!! ;)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Oh I understand where you are coming from. No one wants to see sissy football with no hitting and as far as injuries goes I have been hit between the eyes with a baseball pitching, sprained an ankle playing basketball and had to have knee surgery after getting hurt playing pickup tackle football in the yard lol! Injuries are inevitable and to not play because of the possibilities of being injured are as paranoid as it gets in my opinion. Got a great chance in getting killed or hurt in a car wreck on the way to Wal-Mart lol! I fell off my porch one time and I still have back problems lol! ;)

Good points.

Nascar did a lot of their harm to themselves trying to make it a family sport and stretching out in markets that were not the roots of the sport to
begin with. It would be like college football expanding and playing games in Europe or somewhere over seas. The only teams that could afford to do it would be the big time schools and most of their fans at home wouldn't be able to go over there and see it. Dale Earnhardt Jr. not doing any better than he has after senior died as well as the economy didn't help either. Of course NASCAR figured if they raised the price it would weed out the good ole boy crowd that made it what it was to begin with. So there went us folks who can't afford a weeks pay to go to a race lol!! ;)
Brian France alienated his grassroots fans without hesitation. Shut down historic tracks so places outside of the south could have two races that couldn't sell out their first.

BUT, the car of tomorrow is not far behind in blunders in my book. It looks and drives like a tank. The drivers hate it and were vocal about it, but were prohibited from further talk two seasons ago.

The Death of Dale spiked the market nationally and this was mistaken as something that would sustain, they went in that direction and lost a good chuck of the fans that actually bought what was on the favorite drivers car. We may be less educated as a whole in the south, but we are loyal and all around better people imo.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
It's more exciting watching the highwire without a net, that has been proven. We want them to make a dangerous journey safely. It's in our DNA.

USA TODAY: Did NASCAR go too far in promoting driver safety?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2011-02-18-safety_N.htm
Thats not a very good article in my opinion. What Rusty Wallace said in the article sums it up for me , "I've never heard the reason fans pack (a speedway) is because we're daredevils. I always thought it was because we were beating and banging and tearing fenders up," says 1989 Cup champion Rusty Wallace, now an ESPN analyst. "I don't think we need to say the drivers who run this race might get killed. I'd hate to think that's how we get anyone to watch.".

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Brian France alienated his grassroots fans without hesitation. Shut down historic tracks so places outside of the south could have two races that couldn't sell out their first.

BUT, the car of tomorrow is not far behind in blunders in my book. It looks and drives like a tank. The drivers hate it and were vocal about it, but were prohibited from further talk two seasons ago.

The Death of Dale spiked the market nationally and this was mistaken as something that would sustain, they went in that direction and lost a good chuck of the fans that actually bought what was on the favorite drivers car. We may be less educated as a whole in the south, but we are loyal and all around better people imo.
I agree, by trying to even the playing field they ruined it for a lot of us older Nascar fans. If Ford or Chevy was being dominated it was up to them to find a way to fix it not Nascar. Kinda reminds me of what college football is trying to do. So glad Bama has got coach Saban, but if the NCAA has its way they will find a way to bring him and Bama down to everyone else's level if enough complaining from everyone else including the media happens on account of Bama dominating. ;)

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I agree, by trying to even the playing field they ruined it for a lot of us older Nascar fans. If Ford or Chevy was being dominated it was up to them to find a way to fix it not Nascar. Kinda reminds me of what college football is trying to do. So glad Bama has got coach Saban, but if the NCAA has its way they will find a way to bring him and Bama down to everyone else's level if enough complaining from everyone else including the media happens on account of Bama dominating. ;)
Reminds me about a short story that everyone is forced to be equal. A dancer shakes off her chains to fly across the stage only to be brought down by a shotgun wielding female "equality" enforcer.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Wow -- has this thread morphed or what? A current/semi-retired NASCAR driver told me that when they went to the "car of tomorrow" it would not work. Why? Fixed wing racing has never captivated the racing fans...the genius before was that we all thought we could drive a car like the one they raced.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
The Chase format has also been an epic failure for NASCAR, even if they won't admit it. The format allowed Jimmy Johnson to win 5 straight championships (under the old standings Johnson would have won (2), with winning Jeff Gordon (1), Carl Edwards (1), and Kevin Harvick winning in 2010) , and that kind of domination is not good for business, especially when it is a driver that isn't one of the most popular. Much like playoffs in most sports, you had drivers admitting they were taking races off once they were locked into the Chase, and that miffed a LOT of fans. The bottom line is that NASCAR tried their best to shed their redneck "Bubba" image by expanding to new markets at the expense of losing tracks that got them where they were and create a format with an "exciting finish" to the season. What they accomplished was largely alienating their fanbase and created a format that you have just have to be good for the last 10 races of the season.

Though we've gone very far off topic, I do believe there could be a lesson to learn here. What NASCAR basically did was take a wildly popular sport and changed it to make more money in the name of progress. Their plan sounded great on paper, but it didn't fly with the people who supported the sport for WHAT IT WAS. Playoff and Super Conference proponents should take note of this.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Wow -- has this thread morphed or what? A current/semi-retired NASCAR driver told me that when they went to the "car of tomorrow" it would not work. Why? Fixed wing racing has never captivated the racing fans...the genius before was that we all thought we could drive a car like the one they raced.
Yeah this discussion certainly has morphed LOL! But I think the NASCAR failure is a perfect example for college football to look at and learn from when trying to make a great product better with change. I am afraid they are going to mess with college football until they ruin it.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I did not know Eddie Lacey was a race car driver too. I would think with school, football and the 4th qtr program he would not have the time. Who knew. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.