"Eddie will hopefully be able to come back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I may have missed this if discussed.

The full quote by Coach Saban when talking about the RB's over a question on T.J

"I think that's important for us because we needed someone like that. He has a really good opportunity. Eddie will hopefully be able to come back, Jalston (Fowler) can do certain things, Dee Hart can do certain things. T.J. is one of those guys who can do everything.
Coach Saban is pretty factual and not one to say something like this unless there was more of a problem with Lacey than us information plebes know.
T.J choosing us late in the recruiting process adds to my now speculation that the turf toe may a big career hamper from here out.

We are o.k at the position now with A.J looking like the what we thought, but Eddie is our Jerome Bettis, and I wish him the best.

I am positive that many will see this as nothing, but no Eddie at all this spring?

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Who knows if Lacy will fully recover, but he was going to be held out all spring regardless of whether he's coming back. From what I've gathered, the best way to rehabilitate the turf toe injury is to let it rest, so he was sitting for the spring either way.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
If this were true and he's not able to go full speed for us in the fall, I'd hate to lose him to an injury like that. FWIW, Eddie did dress yesterday and participated in warmups, at least from the NW corner of BDS, it looked like #42 out there. Hopefully they are just giving him plenty of time to get his wheel back on the road.

With the several backs we have available, I am less worried than at other times in the past.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
For a team/offense like BAMA, and we've seen it before, you get Eddie with a turf toe, you get so-and-so slowed with a tweaked knee (just for example) and suddenly you find yourself thin at an extremely crucial position.

Here's hoping Eddie will be 100% come Fall.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Turf toe is a complicated condition. The only hope of getting over it (especially since he's been suffering from it for so long now) is lengthy rest and rehabilitation of the joint. On occasion, surgery can fix it, but steel doesn't heal in this situation with great consistency. Once I heard he had surgery, my heart sank because the odds are now very much against him ever returning to previous levels of performance. We all want the very best for EL, and I am hoping against hope that he returns and contributes in a positive way, but to be perfectly frank, we need to be looking at our other RBs and game-planning around them.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
How is Hart overcoming his injury. Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that he was never going to be an every-down back, but how can a top 3 rated RB in the country not be considered an every down back? He may not be one now, but I think coming in he was looked at as one, after gaining some weight.

We have our compact bull in the Ingram/Richardson coming in next year out of Georgia. We are set with continuing to put backs in the NFL. Theoretically with out injury, Eddie would get drafted next year and Hart the following, but with the injuries who knows. Yeldon and next years recruit Tyren Jones are both prototypical NFL backs. Was Hart that much smaller than USC's Bush as a true freshman last year?

Like Bush Sr. said "There's that gap there".

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
How is Hart overcoming his injury. Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that he was never going to be an every-down back, but how can a top 3 rated RB in the country not be considered an every down back? He may not be one now, but I think coming in he was looked at as one, after gaining some weight.

We have our compact bull in the Ingram/Richardson coming in next year out of Georgia. We are set with continuing to put backs in the NFL. Theoretically with out injury, Eddie would get drafted next year and Hart the following, but with the injuries who knows. Yeldon and next years recruit Tyren Jones are both prototypical NFL backs. Was Hart that much smaller than USC's Bush as a true freshman last year?

Like Bush Sr. said "There's that gap there".
I don't have the roster in front of me to see where Dee is now, weight-wise, but he looks very small. He's short, but he's not wide like most shorter RBs. Just from the look of him yesterday, I'd be surprised if he's more than 195. Anyway, he appears to be recovered just fine from his knee injury. He had good movement yesterday, made some good cuts, and didn't appear to favor the knee at all, so that seems positive. I think he's not going to be an "every down" sort of back simply because he's still too small. He needs some muscle mass desperately to take the beating that being more than a situational back would require.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Didn't Eddie play last season with the toe turf injury or did it happen on his last play in the BCS game? I really don't know but I thought it was bothering him for several games or was that something else? I know his snaps were no where near Trents but thats understandable whether he was at full speed or not. I know he had surgery after the BCS game but I would hope that surgery wouldn't make his injury worse.

He still averaged over 7 yards per carry in the back up role though so if he was playing hurt it would seem to me that he could give at least as much as he did last season this coming season. And with what I saw yesterday from the rest of the backs if he can duplicate last seasons numbers at least, Bama will be fine at the RB position.

I would bet money that Eddie will be on the field come August and that he would amputate that toe to do so if he had to lol!!! ;)

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I thought the injury happened against Arky, but I could be wrong...
I believe you are correct. He did in fact play the rest of the season off and on with it bothering him. I personally think he was determined to get to play some until after the NCGame.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I'll play the optimist :) FWIW , Deion Sanders played through his last couple seasons with chronic turf toe issues . He rarely practiced , but played at a high level each and every week . Obviously every individual and their injury are different , but I feel Lacy has enough talent that if he is only able to practice on a limited basis then he'll still be able to play and play at a high level . Fingers crossed .

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Didn't Eddie play last season with the toe turf injury or did it happen on his last play in the BCS game? I really don't know but I thought it was bothering him for several games or was that something else? I know his snaps were no where near Trents but thats understandable whether he was at full speed or not. I know he had surgery after the BCS game but I would hope that surgery wouldn't make his injury worse.

He still averaged over 7 yards per carry in the back up role though so if he was playing hurt it would seem to me that he could give at least as much as he did last season this coming season. And with what I saw yesterday from the rest of the backs if he can duplicate last seasons numbers at least, Bama will be fine at the RB position.

I would bet money that Eddie will be on the field come August and that he would amputate that toe to do so if he had to lol!!! ;)
Yeah, he injured it earlier in the season, but was really unable to give it adequate rest, therefore it kept bothering him. His first large chunk of time off was between the Iron Bowl and the BCSNCG, so I suspect that's why he was able to perform as well as he did in the NCG, but obviously that performance further irritated the joint. Since they went to surgery, we have to assume the docs felt all the conservative treatments had failed to restore the joint to pre-injury health and they felt the only way to give it a chance to do that was to operate on it.

Here's hoping it did the deal for him and he'll be able to contribute in the manner we need him to.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Yeah, he injured it earlier in the season, but was really unable to give it adequate rest, therefore it kept bothering him. His first large chunk of time off was between the Iron Bowl and the BCSNCG, so I suspect that's why he was able to perform as well as he did in the NCG, but obviously that performance further irritated the joint. Since they went to surgery, we have to assume the docs felt all the conservative treatments had failed to restore the joint to pre-injury health and they felt the only way to give it a chance to do that was to operate on it.

Here's hoping it did the deal for him and he'll be able to contribute in the manner we need him to.
yeah this just seems like a situation that just won't end....i never knew how bad turf toe could be until EL got injured and learned more about the injury through research when i got curious about it..

..i would have thought we would have heard about how his recovery is going by now...maybe someone in the media would wanted to talk to him or something. for what its worth...he was smiling a lot and seemed to be in a good mood when they showed him on the sidelines yesterday.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I was down on field level when EL came walking out after the Crimson team ran out. He limped the entire way to the sidelines. It wasn't a severe, "Oh my god!" type limp, but you could tell he was limping. I hope he gets this thing healed up and can materially contribute this season.

lbsportswriter

Suspended
Jan 4, 2012
Panama City Beach, Florida
Google and read about turf toe,,, I was ashamed I knew so little about it and had such wrong thoughts about it... It IS a big deal and does take time to recover... According to what I've learned, time and rest and not pushing it is the main thing to fix it, but Lacy's was so bad, they had to go in and "trim" the affected muscle... After reading so much about it, I'm amazed more people don't come down with it...

Sad I used to think this injury was "no big deal"....

Larry

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This thread has made me more nervous...

In order for Alabama to be contenders next year, a lot of things have to fall into place. This would include potential big offensive producers being ready to play. Now, Hart, Yeldon and Fowler are probably as good as any backs other SEC teams have. However, Lacy last year looked the closest to being ready to step into Mark and Trent's shoes. I really hope he's at 100%, or very close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.