"Eddie will hopefully be able to come back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I would guess if EL isn't ready to go by the 1st game with Michigan that he won't play the 1st half of the season and will by then have time to heal so he can maybe ready to go by the time we get into the thick of the SEC schedule.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Ugh thanks for making me think about this one guys.

but i guess good news, if it gets there and i'd say we should wait to panic, is that EL has two more years of eligibility. Take it light with him this year so that he would be 100 for his 5th year maybe the next to worst case scenario, which isnt that bad i guess.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Who knows if Lacy will fully recover, but he was going to be held out all spring regardless of whether he's coming back. From what I've gathered, the best way to rehabilitate the turf toe injury is to let it rest, so he was sitting for the spring either way.
Rebel you made fun of several of us last year for insisting Eddie's turf toe could be a serious issue. You actually called me chicken little for being concerned about it. You can either take it back, or say we were right. Either one will be fine with me. ;)

Ok, I'm kidding. Most folks who haven't dealt with it just don't realize what exactly the injury is and how debilitating it can be. It sounds really benign so you never think the long term effects could potentially be career ending, its just a toe.

Hopefully EL can get back to his old form because watching him last year before the injury he was clearly ready to step in and leave his own print on the program like Mark and Trent before him.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
If there's one position we've signed a ton of talent at over the last 3-4 years, it's RB.

Yeldon being an EE might end up helping us more than any other EE in our history. Hate to see Lacy still in pain and unable to contribute, he was my favorite signee of the 2009 class. Yes even more than Richardson at the time. I loved his speed and the spin moves he showed in high school. I was really looking forward to seeing 2-3 of those spin moves per game this fall, he did that better than anyone I can remember.

I really hope he can heal up, but we've got a stable of RB's, at least 4 who can contribute on a high level, and 2-3 of those who would start at most SEC schools. Lacy's health wont make or break our season. I think it would only hurt us if another RB or 2 get banged up.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I'll play the optimist :) FWIW , Deion Sanders played through his last couple seasons with chronic turf toe issues . He rarely practiced , but played at a high level each and every week . Obviously every individual and their injury are different , but I feel Lacy has enough talent that if he is only able to practice on a limited basis then he'll still be able to play and play at a high level . Fingers crossed .

For those who haven't seen, here's Deion's toe a decade after his turf toe surgery.

I cringe just thinking about how painful it would be to run on that.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
You used to hear of this injury all the time with the old style artificial turf along with the horific knee injuries.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Rebel you made fun of several of us last year for insisting Eddie's turf toe could be a serious issue. You actually called me chicken little for being concerned about it. You can either take it back, or say we were right. Either one will be fine with me. ;)

Ok, I'm kidding. Most folks who haven't dealt with it just don't realize what exactly the injury is and how debilitating it can be. It sounds really benign so you never think the long term effects could potentially be career ending, its just a toe.

Hopefully EL can get back to his old form because watching him last year before the injury he was clearly ready to step in and leave his own print on the program like Mark and Trent before him.
What? I never made fun of anybody talking about turf toe. Seems like I remember saying people who were freaking out about RB depth because of EL's toe were acting like Chicken Little. IIRC, we won a NC, so I'd say things worked out OK ;)

I really hope Lacy comes back 100%, but there again, if he doesn't, we will still be better than pretty much every team in the country at RB. Coach Saban has gotten our program back to the point where one player does not make or break our TEAM.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
A good point was made about 2 years of eligibility. If Yeldon can carry a good junk of the load this year along with Fowler, Hart and others I hope that Eddie can get back on track to the NFL at least in his last year. I always saw EL as a 2-3rd rounder who would have a good career. He may be better than that, but we will most likely not be able to see him in the 20+ carries a game role this year. And his heir is also coming off of a terrible injury. We are having a hiccup at RB, but we're very fortunate to have snagged Yeldon or would have been as weak at RB as ever in Saban's tenure. Close to his first year with good injury prone backs.

I'll say it again.....keep an eye on Tyren Jones this year out of Marieta, Ga. He is a Saban mold NFL prototypical back of the 21st century. I think he may get a 5th star at some point. He is the #1 rated all-purpose back by Rivals going into his senior year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One thing to note before anyone decides to start scouting bridges to go jump of off if EL doesn't come back full to strength or at all. Saban ran a four rb rotation while at LSU with great success. He KNOWS how to utilize the talent he has available to him in the best way. For example purposes only, let's play worst case scenario and say EL is gone for the year. He will not touch the ball at all during a regular or post season game. Saban has enough talent at RB to run a VERY effective running game. One that could still be "championship worthy".

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
TBF, that looks like a different injury to the second toe. Here's a more representative pic -
Yeah most don't look like the pic of Deion's foot. I think Deion's was more in line with what the really bad ones look like post-op, with some of the muscle trimmed off.

FWIW, I'm not gonna argue with you about injuries, the worst I've ever done is break my hand a couple of times. You are the resident expert when it comes to injuries ;)

Last edited:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
One thing to note before anyone decides to start scouting bridges to go jump of off if EL doesn't come back full to strength or at all. Saban ran a four rb rotation while at LSU with great success. He KNOWS how to utilize the talent he has available to him in the best way. For example purposes only, let's play worst case scenario and say EL is gone for the year. He will not touch the ball at all during a regular or post season game. Saban has enough talent at RB to run a VERY effective running game. One that could still be "championship worthy".
This is exactly what I was saying. I just don't understand the "RB as weak as ever under Saban" sentiments. Do you know how many SEC schools would KILL to have any one of Fowler, Hart, Yeldon, Sims, etc? That's not even to mention the freshmen coming in the fall...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
This is exactly what I was saying. I just don't understand the "RB as weak as ever under Saban" sentiments. Do you know how many SEC schools would KILL to have any one of Fowler, Hart, Yeldon, Sims, etc? That's not even to mention the freshmen coming in the fall...
Yeah, we're really struggling these days, we only have 2 five-star RB's on the roster. Times are tough. :biggrin2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah most don't look like the pic of Deion's foot. I think Deion's was more in line with what the really bad ones look like post-op, with some of the muscle trimmed off.

FWIW, I'm not gonna argue with you about injuries, the worst I've ever done is break my hand a couple of times. You are the resident expert when it comes to injuries ;)
That's actually not such a good pic. That injury appears mostly to involve the second MTP joint, whereas most of them involve the first MTP joint, as does Lacy's. This diagram illustrates it:

Last edited:

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
A good point was made about 2 years of eligibility. If Yeldon can carry a good junk of the load this year along with Fowler, Hart and others I hope that Eddie can get back on track to the NFL at least in his last year. I always saw EL as a 2-3rd rounder who would have a good career. He may be better than that, but we will most likely not be able to see him in the 20+ carries a game role this year. And his heir is also coming off of a terrible injury. We are having a hiccup at RB, but we're very fortunate to have snagged Yeldon or would have been as weak at RB as ever in Saban's tenure. Close to his first year with good injury prone backs.

I'll say it again.....keep an eye on Tyren Jones this year out of Marieta, Ga. He is a Saban mold NFL prototypical back of the 21st century. I think he may get a 5th star at some point. He is the #1 rated all-purpose back by Rivals going into his senior year.

ummmm i guess you forgot sabans first year when we had terry grant and.... ummm... uhhhh.........................well terry grant

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
ummmm i guess you forgot sabans first year when we had terry grant and.... ummm... uhhhh.........................well terry grant
Yeah, I wonder if anybody would like to trade who we have now for Terry Grant, Jonathan Lowe, and Jimmy Johns ;)

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lowe_jonathan00.html

He was a little squirt, but he played his heart out, despite never producing much outside of kickoff returns.
hmm....just to let you know i honestly didn't remember him, i wasn't being mean spirited about his time at alabama. i could only remember terry grant, glen coffee who was like a completley diffrent running back before 2008, and jimmy johns five seconds at running back in the game for which we do not speak about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.