Hogs A-Day

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
They wonder why they lose to Alabama every year, their 1's just beat their 2's 65-0. Didn't Saban say "you judge your team by your bottom 25" or something along those lines.

My point being, if their 2's are that bad, it shows how far away they are from having the depth to really compete in the SEC, instead of being the "sleeper" year in and year out.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
They wonder why they lose to Alabama every year, their 1's just beat their 2's 65-0. Didn't Saban say "you judge your team by your bottom 25" or something along those lines.

My point being, if their 2's are that bad, it shows how far away they are from having the depth to really compete in the SEC, instead of being the "sleeper" year in and year out.
Yes Coach Saban has repeatedly said (esp at the beginning) that you are as good as you "bottom 40." Arky's second team being that bad means a severe lack of depth. Look at our Aday scores. The talent level is much more even. This would concern me if I were an Arky fan.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I saw over half of the first half of their game on ESPN Goal Line. Their #2 defense was just pathetic.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He's a good offensive coach but a HEAD coach isn't judged only by one unit of a football team. Okay, his teams always put a lot of points. But overall his defenses gave up more points than his offenses scored when it came to playing with the big boys in the SEC.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I know mostly these Spring games have become all for show and little substance. You have to figure Alabama probably got more out of those two closed scrimmages preceding the A-Day game than the actual Spring game. There is no point in showing anything complicated to all your opponents.

Still, I think doing a 1s v. 2s Spring game is a waste of time. You might stay simple with the playcalling but there is still an opportunity for good competition. Best on best has served Alabama well in my opinion.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When I lived in Knoxville, UT always had a "Best vs. the Rest" type spring game and the final score was always a rout. I guess a big score like that gets fans excited and gives them something to cheer about.

I think most coaches secretly hate the spring game. Its probably hard to have a real practice with a game type atmosphere around you.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Yeah, I agree with everyone here, not sure what you hope to accomplish in terms of improvement when letting the 1's go against the 2's. I suppose it gives the 2's some good experience, if it doesn't lessen their confidence after a beat down, but it doesn't help the 1's that much. I think that is what pushes Saban coached teams past many others, the drive to excel against the best, to push yourself to always improve.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That says alot about his coaching to be the 3rd best team in the country if he always finishes no better than 8th year after year.
The only reason Arkansas was third was because they lost to #1 and #2 -- not because he was the third best -- There were a dozen teams that were better than Arkansas last year -- they just didn't happen to play any of them.....

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
The only reason Arkansas was third was because they lost to #1 and #2 -- not because he was the third best -- There were a dozen teams that were better than Arkansas last year -- they just didn't happen to play any of them.....
You do realize it was on the strength of that win that put is in the big game. I can not name 12 teams that were better than Arkansas last year. Please list them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Arkansas was arguably the 3rd best team in the nation. I'd give Oklahoma State the nod over them because Arkansas got their tails kicked by Alabama and LSU. The two best teams, yes, but they didn't even look like they were on the same level of competition of them in those games. Of course, Okie State is getting the pass here because they didn't play Bama or LSU but thems the breaks.

Arkansas really controlled Kansas State though. Oklahoma State struggled against Kansas State's offense which Arkansas' mediocre defense really neutralized. So there is that to consider too. Arkansas was a really good team in a really bad division to make a championship run.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think with all the Petrino stuff they wanted to give their fans something to rally behind.Scoring 65 points against backups does nothing to develope the team.
They do have a talented offensive team but we all know what wins championships. I predict they will lose the same two games this season.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
You do realize it was on the strength of that win that put is in the big game. I can not name 12 teams that were better than Arkansas last year. Please list them.
I agree. Arkansas was very good team last year, and how we and LSU beat them is a testament much better we were than the rest. Arkansas played Kansas State and Texas A&M last year, which Oklahoma St also played, and Arkansas beat both of them more convincingly than OSU did. Arkansas would have smoked OSU, so I can't see why they wouldn't have been the 3rd best team in CFB last year.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not arguing that win put us in the big game. But, if you look at Arkansas' schedule -- they beat Ole Miss by 5, Vandy by 3, and Troy by 10 -- and struggled on the road big time. They had 4 road games: Lost to Bama by 24, Lost to LSU by 24, Beat Ole Miss by 5, Beat Vandy by 3.... the rest of their games were at home.....they barely beat a 7-6 Texas A&M Team (by 4)

I think Stanford, USC and Oregon were better. I think Wisconsin and Clemson might have been better. I think they would have struggled with Ok State, Boise, TCU, Mich St, Michigan and Baylor. In fact UGA might have beaten them too.

Other than USCe (at home) - what impressive win did they have?

Beat Missouri State, New Mexico, Troy, Texas A&M, Auburn, Vandy, UT, Miss State

They were Top 5 due to having a great schedule -- with 8 home games....the two toughest games they had, they were dominated.....big time.

Just my 2 cents --

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not arguing that win put us in the big game. But, if you look at Arkansas' schedule -- they beat Ole Miss by 5, Vandy by 3, and Troy by 10 -- and struggled on the road big time. They had 4 road games: Lost to Bama by 24, Lost to LSU by 24, Beat Ole Miss by 5, Beat Vandy by 3.... the rest of their games were at home.....they barely beat a 7-6 Texas A&M Team (by 4)

I think Stanford, USC and Oregon were better. I think Wisconsin and Clemson might have been better. I think they would have struggled with Ok State, Boise, TCU, Mich St, Michigan and Baylor. In fact UGA might have beaten them too.

Other than USCe (at home) - what impressive win did they have?

Beat Missouri State, New Mexico, Troy, Texas A&M, Auburn, Vandy, UT, Miss State

They were Top 5 due to having a great schedule -- with 8 home games....the two toughest games they had, they were dominated.....big time.

Just my 2 cents --
Good points...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.