John Fulton - The Perfect Example of the Talent at Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I found myself questioning John Fulton’s development last year. Wondered if he would ever get meaningful playing time at Alabama.

It hit me yesterday – he had some pretty big time talent in front of him.

He was an early enrollee for the 2010 class. When he got to campus, Dee Milliner came with him. Dre Kirkpatrick waited on both of them after getting minimal playing time during his freshman year but had a year of coaching and high praise from scouts. Phelon Jones waited on Fulton and Milliner, too; he had 3 years of SEC football. DQ Menzie signed his LOI on signing day after being named a Second Team JUCO All-American in his second year of JUCO.

Going into the 2010 season, many fans knew/expected Dre to have one CB spot. That left two spots open since CNS rarely plays more than three CBs. The other two spots could be filled by Fulton, Milliner, Jones or Menzie, who was recovering from a torn Achilles. Coaches liked what they saw in Dee more, so he got the second spot. Somehow, Menzie recovered well enough to take the third spot.

The preparation of the 2010 season caused Fulton to look like a “bust” or a guy not living up to his hype/potential. In reality, he was behind quality player. The players were so good that CNS even said he had 4 starters at CB this year if need be.

Fast forward to 2012 spring practice. Fulton out did expectations and ended up starting for the White (#1 defense).

John Futon came to Alabama highly touted (#4 by ESPNU, #5 by Rivals and #6 by Scout) but didn’t play as soon as many thought. Looks like he’s getting that chance now. He’s the perfect example of the talent Nick Saban and his staff have brought to Alabama. No worse than the sixth best corner in his class, and he has to wait two years to get meaningful playing time.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I found myself questioning John Fulton’s development last year. Wondered if he would ever get meaningful playing time at Alabama.

It hit me yesterday – he had some pretty big time talent in front of him.

He was an early enrollee for the 2010 class. When he got to campus, Dee Milliner came with him. Dre Kirkpatrick waited on both of them after getting minimal playing time during his freshman year but had a year of coaching and high praise from scouts. Phelon Jones waited on Fulton and Milliner, too; he had 3 years of SEC football. DQ Menzie signed his LOI on signing day after being named a Second Team JUCO All-American in his second year of JUCO.

Going into the 2010 season, many fans knew/expected Dre to have one CB spot. That left two spots open since CNS rarely plays more than three CBs. The other two spots could be filled by Fulton, Milliner, Jones or Menzie, who was recovering from a torn Achilles. Coaches liked what they saw in Dee more, so he got the second spot. Somehow, Menzie recovered well enough to take the third spot.

The preparation of the 2010 season caused Fulton to look like a “bust” or a guy not living up to his hype/potential. In reality, he was behind quality player. The players were so good that CNS even said he had 4 starters at CB this year if need be.

Fast forward to 2012 spring practice. Fulton out did expectations and ended up starting for the White (#1 defense).

John Futon came to Alabama highly touted (#4 by ESPNU, #5 by Rivals and #6 by Scout) but didn’t play as soon as many thought. Looks like he’s getting that chance now. He’s the perfect example of the talent Nick Saban and his staff have brought to Alabama. No worse than the sixth best corner in his class, and he has to wait two years to get meaningful playing time.

Great Post!

I hope he has a huge year!!:cool2:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I've often wondered about him as well, so I appreciate the post and the perspective. I look for him to have a great year.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
You could say the same thing about Tyrone King a few years ago. The kid was loaded with talent, just had better players in front of him. I'm glad Fulton will get a chance to showcase his talent and knowledge of the game.

socalbamafan123

Scout Team
May 26, 2010
This is a testament to the talent here. You'd have to think that John will benefit by waiting two years learning the system and being in the strength and program. I hope he has a big year!

I have Fulton and Ivory as the 2 players on defense that need to step up and have big years.

Crimson Crazy

Suspended
Apr 11, 2012
There is more than having great talent involved in playing early for Saban's defense, you must learn Saban's system.

The faster you learn the system, the faster you will get your chance and the faster you will be able to contribute...

Last edited:

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I met JF's dad before the 2010 San Jose St. game and spoke to him quite awhile. His dad is career army and I have no doubt that JF has the discipline needed to succeed under CNS. I can't wait to seem have a huge year this year and beyond. The OP is right, the talent level at Bama right now is phenomenal.

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
I've often wondered about him as well, so I appreciate the post and the perspective. I look for him to have a great year.
Me too. I feel the same way about players like Vogler. I've been asking for 2 seasons what's going on with this guy. He'll be an incredible target at 6'7". I liked hearing his name this spring. But as you say, there are a lot of players we have that are just phenoms. Some will play early and others will develop into major contributors.

Cadillac55

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 18, 2010
Great post as I would have to be included in the group quesstioning when he was going to step up! Of course, the talent has been ridiculous in front of him.

Not quite the same given the short amount of time on campus, but a lot of people expected T.Dixon to walk into a starting role, but as we now see.....5 star rankings get you on campus, after that it is up to the player!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am glad he is doing well...shows us great character. I had lunch with a former player (years ago) and we talked about CNS' defense. His take was that the talent is now so deep that if you are not "football smart" you will not see the field -- as far as the LB's and DB's are concerned. Too many reads are required...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The amount of talent at Bama is scary good & deep..Heck..The vast majority of our 2nd & 3rd team players would start at most SEC teams..And what's even more ridiculous..Each recruiting class we bring in..Is better than the last..Bad news for the SEC & college football..

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Im glad he is going to get his shot, he caught a lot of crap from the hometown fans ( clemson and south carolina) for leaving and going to play at bama. rtr

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
I met his parents in Walmart two years ago . They were very gracious and were proud their son was at Bama . Mrs . Fulton is very tall , maybe 6ft. Perhaps , John still has some growing to do . Very nice folks !

!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Football is the one sport where, no matter where go, you always have a bunch of guys in front of you who are not only talented but who have been there for awhile.

At Bama you can multiply that fact by five or six. The talent level is that deep.

So you sit while they play. Then you grab your opportunity when it finally comes.

Glad Fulton had some patience. I think he'll be a good one.

RT1941

1st Team
Jul 16, 2003
Montgomery, AL
I think the talent in the wings waiting their turn and helping on the scout team is the reason why AJ gave the scout team huge kudo's in the post-BCSNC interviews. AJ was very , very appreciated to the scout team for the hard work they put in everyday. Those guys make the starters so much better prepared to play.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
no surprises here considering who was in front of him. no way was he going to get much playing time at CB with Dee, Dre and Menzie ahead of him. coach only plays youth at that position if he has too.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think when you are talking about the secondary at Alabama being coached by what many consider the best DB coach in the nation virtually every starter is going to get drafted. So even if a player fights for 4 years and only starts as a senior, if he starts, he's probably not only going to be drafted, but will likely be better prepared than most who started as freshman elsewhere. That being said I expect Fulton to be one of the starting 3 and he will have two seasons to prove himself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.