I'm an aTm aggie: Our up tempo no huddle throw it around offense...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
You win. I just don't happen to agree that the recent Gator teams along with Auburn were that much different from the basic idea that TAMU will run. At least the offenses were a lot more open than Alabama or LSU. The one advantage TAMU may have along these lines is that Texas is full of talented QB's to run their system. We'll also get a better look at this type offense this season with the Big 12 additions plus Ole Miss. I still have to point out that Alabama went away from Trent and more to the pass to beat LSU for the title.

What in the world makes you think "more open" is better???

Also, what are you basing your theory on that Sumlin will run a different offense at Texas A&M than he has to date?

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
What in the world makes you think "more open" is better???

Also, what are you basing your theory on that Sumlin will run a different offense at Texas A&M than he has to date?
Alabama had to open the offense up a bit to beat LSU after being shut down in the first game. Is that better? Who knows. Wining is better.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You win. I just don't happen to agree that the recent Gator teams along with Auburn were that much different from the basic idea that TAMU will run. At least the offenses were a lot more open than Alabama or LSU. The one advantage TAMU may have along these lines is that Texas is full of talented QB's to run their system. We'll also get a better look at this type offense this season with the Big 12 additions plus Ole Miss. I still have to point out that Alabama went away from Trent and more to the pass to beat LSU for the title.
Because that's what their offensive scheme does. It allows them to be able to go away from what's not working (the run in your example) and to the pass with a seamless transition. They didn't change philosophy on offense. They worked within the offense they run. Offenses like Okie St lean heavily on one player/position. The QB position. He goes down and you have Colt McCoy all over again. Where as our system, our qb had cracked ribs in the championship game in 2009 and yet our offense ticked right along. We were able to lean heavily on the run and defense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Maybe a junior with broken ribs was better than a freshman that didn't pan out.
Then why didn't the Longhorns line it up and begin running the ball? Doesn't it seem logical? Starting qb goes down, second string, freshman, no experience QB coming off the bench comes in yet they continue to try to throw, throw, throw? Why in the world didn't they run the ball to take pressure off the young inexperience qb? I tell you why. Because they couldn't. They were stuck with doing one thing on offense because that's how their offense was designed. That is also why after the game Mack Brown said they were getting away from it because their inability to run the ball when they had to killed them. And the inability to line up and run block was a byproduct of the style offense they ran.

Look, if you like and prefer that style offense there's nothing wrong with it. But what people are trying to show you is offenses that lean toward extremes (whether it be pass or run) tend to be more vulnerable to "uh ohs". Because during the season there will be games where the running game is struggling, there will be games where the passing game is struggling, ESPECIALLY in the SEC. So at that point an offense is in a situation to have to "dribble with their left hand" so to speak. And history has shown that teams that are heavily spread oriented get shut down more times than not by good defenses over a period of time.

Last edited:

BAMAccounting10

3rd Team
Oct 1, 2010
No huddle can put pressure on a good defense by keeping them unbalanced. However, it can also lead to more offensive turnovers...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Look, if you like and prefer that style offense there's nothing wrong with it. But what people are trying to show you is offenses that lean toward extremes (whether it be pass or run) tend to be more vulnerable to "uh ohs". Because during the season there will be games where the running game is struggling, there will be games where the passing game is struggling, ESPECIALLY in the SEC. So at that point an offense is in a situation to have to "dribble with their left hand" so to speak. And history has shown that teams that are heavily spread oriented get shut down more times than not by good defenses over a period of time.
Any one dimensional offense will get chewed up by the better D's in the SEC as those of us that have the talent (Us, LSU and a few others) can take away just about any 1 dimension and force you to try and beat us a different way.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Any one dimensional offense will get chewed up by the better D's in the SEC as those of us that have the talent (Us, LSU and a few others) can take away just about any 1 dimension and force you to try and beat us a different way.
Preach on brother. I've watched SEC football long enough to KNOW the SEC defenses are the "Show Hawgs" of this conference. Our offenses really aren't as bad as many outside the conference want them to be. It's that the defenses are truly that good. And whether it be pass or run, if a team thinks they're going to stick to one and not be able to transition the other I can go ahead and assign them their place in the pecking order of the conference, mid-tier or below.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Somebody tell me which conference sent the most defensive players to the NFL in the first round of the past few drafts.

Also, somebody tell me the last Big 12 QB that panned out in the NFL.

I'll hang up and listen.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I graduated from texas a&m and I'm very excited we are in the SEC. So I just watched our spring game and I'm interested to see from experienced SEC fans like yourselves what you think about our plan. Our plan is to try to get into a track meet type games. In the spring game the QB did not line up under center 1 time and did not huddle 1 time. The average time between plays is about 20 seconds. The offense is going to be like Oklahoma State and West Virginia last year. Try to run as many offensive plays as fast as possible to tire out the DL and LB's and keep the defense from substituting and giving presnap looks. The hope is that given only 3 days to prepare it will be difficult to stop. One of my main concerns however is how does our defense get prepared to face the offenses in the SEC when all they have seen in the spring is the hurry up spread.

I think it's worth a try. The alabama defense and LSU defense will be formidable regardless of the offensive scheme they face just curious how you think it will work against the rest of the SEC.

That's a great idea. Problem is it never works too well against SEC Defenses...
SEC Defenses are larger, and faster, and play an aggressive game. The TAMU QB should have life insurance, because he's going to be running for his life in the backfield...
NEXT...
TAMU can expect to have a high number of interceptions, because the QB will have to hurry his passes and the Defense's will be stuck to the receivers.

Not to brand the TAMU Offense, but it's kinda 'WEST COAST'.
If you don't have a quality line, on both sides of the ball, it will be 'TAPS' for TAMU. (Not 'Reveille'... nothing against the dog) ;)
Good luck in the SEC.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not sold that the Airraid is an effective offense to win a championship. At least, the pure 50 throws a game type air raid offense. Okie State got to a conference title because the Big-XII was a little weak and they at least had a solid running component in their offense. The old football axiom that you pass to score point and run to win games is still true. Effective passing is important to scoring in today's college football but running the ball is how you limit possessions and control the tempo of the game.

I think attempting to control the tempo by accelerating snaps is not a good 60-minutes concept. Against the better defenses, those quick snaps could mean a 1-minute possession which puts the defense in a bind especially if the offense has several of those in a row.

SEC_Aggie

Apr 27, 2012
Thank you for all the discussion. Exactly what I was wanting to know. The analysis of points per play was very thought provoking.

I believe for now Sumlin is making the right decision to run the up tempo stuff because no aggie believes we can come in and win the SEC west anyway. All we want to do right now is make it to 3rd place in the west. Maybe this type of offense can't win it all but we werent going to do that anyway.

Regarding the posts about talent level. We do have 2 OT that will be drafted. Joekel and Matthews. Christian Michael at RB will be drafted as well. Defensively we have some good DL but we only have 4 and we need 7 or 8.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Thank you for all the discussion. Exactly what I was wanting to know. The analysis of points per play was very thought provoking.

I believe for now Sumlin is making the right decision to run the up tempo stuff because no aggie believes we can come in and win the SEC west anyway. All we want to do right now is make it to 3rd place in the west. Maybe this type of offense can't win it all but we werent going to do that anyway.

Regarding the posts about talent level. We do have 2 OT that will be drafted. Joekel and Matthews. Christian Michael at RB will be drafted as well. Defensively we have some good DL but we only have 4 and we need 7 or 8.
I have no doubt y'all will be able to recruit plenty of talent to do just fine in the SEC. It will come down to coaching and the transition to the SEC style play. This conference is a HIGHLY competitive conference both on and off the field. If Sumlin plays his cards right he could be challenging for the west in no time. It won't be easy, because LSU and Bama are simply loaded with NFL type talent. But aTm has the resources, recruiting ground and the tradition to be up there with the big boys of the SEC. Good luck.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
SIAP I have not read the whole thread. I have always felt a major flaw with the hurry up offense is that it gives both teams more snaps. Which is great in games were you have more talent because it allows you the ability to comeback, but I feel those extra snaps really wear a team down over the course of a season. Injuries always seem to be a problem with teams that run the hurry up. Marcus Lattimore getting hurt this year, I know USCe does not run the hurry up but SOS has run Lattimore into the ground, just cemented my belief that you need to protect your players, like CNS does, especially in the SEC. Another problem I have with the throw it around offense is that if its a rainy or windy day it can really hurt you and if your playing for a title we know that one game can derail those dreams. I know the tide's offense isn't always pretty but, get a lead, kill the clock, and go home as quickly as possible. It sounds boring and probably is to fans of other teams but its the way to bring home the crystal ball.

I would like to point out that I do like the ability for up tempo teams to build depth. Putting lesser teams away earlier and getting your backups more quality reps is a good thing so there is some upside to the hurry up IMHO.

As for SOS I know he never went undefeated but he had an incredible winning percentage at Florida and played a brutal schedule, the SEC and then FSU when there program was at its highest point ever. I think I have rambled on long enough now.

Welcome to the board, Welcome to the Sec, and God Bless.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
The one thing all you Texas A&M Aggie fans need to remember is that as long Nick Saban is at Alabama you will not likely sniff a championship in the SEC! Your recruiting will get better and better as corresponding to your success but Saban will always recruit better than you.

Now how long it will take for ya'll to catch up is depending on how well you do against the also-runs of the SEC, the Mississippi, Tennessee schools as well as the others in your class. Ya'll should worry about winning those games first and foremost! Don't spend time working or worrying on Bama or LSU at least till game week. It will cost ya'll wins against the ones you can beat and will not help your recruiting! Success breeds success!

Don't get discouraged with your program if you have a 7-8 year or more losing streak to Bama! There is schools who have been in this league from its inception that have that today! Its not shameful!!! Like I said as long as Saban is coach you fans can not blame any coach you can hire if he has a long losing streak to Bama! And coach Saban will be here as long as he wants which could be 1 to 10, 12 years or more although I suspect he will learn from coach Bryant and Paterno. And his better half will have a say so in that decision you can bet!!! ;)

Most of all remember who you were before you came in to the SEC! If in a few short years you look back and can say "man look how much we have passed Texas", then your coaching staff will have did a wonderful job! Eventually Bama's reign may decline and someone else will takeover and that someone could be Texas A&M who knows! But most likely not in any of our life times! But just knowing "you" were the ones who planted the seeds to possible future glory should be a warm feeling for you Aggie fans, even while going through the upcoming humility by Bama for the next couple decades or so that you will endure! ;)

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
The one thing all you Texas A&M Aggie fans need to remember is that as long Nick Saban is at Alabama you will not likely sniff a championship in the SEC! Your recruiting will get better and better as corresponding to your success but Saban will always recruit better than you.

Now how long it will take for ya'll to catch up is depending on how well you do against the also-runs of the SEC, the Mississippi, Tennessee schools as well as the others in your class. Ya'll should worry about winning those games first and foremost! Don't spend time working or worrying on Bama or LSU at least till game week. It will cost ya'll wins against the ones you can beat and will not help your recruiting! Success breeds success!

Don't get discouraged with your program if you have a 7-8 year or more losing streak to Bama! There is schools who have been in this league from its inception that have that today! Its not shameful!!! Like I said as long as Saban is coach you fans can not blame any coach you can hire if he has a long losing streak to Bama! And coach Saban will be here as long as he wants which could be 1 to 10, 12 years or more although I suspect he will learn from coach Bryant and Paterno. And his better half will have a say so in that decision you can bet!!! ;)

Most of all remember who you were before you came in to the SEC! If in a few short years you look back and can say "man look how much we have passed Texas", then your coaching staff will have did a wonderful job! Eventually Bama's reign may decline and someone else will takeover and that someone could be Texas A&M who knows! But most likely not in any of our life times! But just knowing "you" were the ones who planted the seeds to possible future glory should be a warm feeling for you Aggie fans, even while going through the upcoming humility by Bama for the next couple decades or so that you will endure! ;)

was all that really necessary????

Bud

3rd Team
Jul 25, 2000
Jacksonville, FL. USA
Didn't hurry up/pass happy Tex Tech lose to Ole Miss a couple of years ago. Granted that Ole Miss team isn't the Ole Miss of the last couple of years (and the current H Freeze led Rebels will be a hurry up team) but the point is....Ole Miss though in the Cotton Bowl, was still a just above avg SEC team. I think many SEC teams can go "track meet" if they want to/have to and that is what Ole Miss did to TTech (and did it better than Tech)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For any kind of spread, you need a different type of OL for it - lighter, smaller, not all all the type needed for a pro-type offense like ours. That's the reason Malzahn put the entire AU OL on diets to reduce their weights. I shouldn't even have to say that when we go down that road our main selling point to recruits - pro-type players we put in the NFL - totally disappears. Spread fans (in any of its iterations) shouldn't expect to see it at Bama as a base offense. I cringed at the thought of RichRod at Bama, mostly because of that. Of course, I soon uncringed... :D

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
As others have said, welcome to Tidefans and the SEC. The problem with the hurry up spread offense is that it becomes the identity of your entire team. You suddenly have the mindset that you are going to outscore every team you play by scores of 42-35 or something like that. Your whole team gets soft. Your defense gets abused because they are on the field all day, and your offense folds like a tent when it has any problems whatsoever. Now, on those days when the offense is clicking, you may be able to pull an upset or put up 60 points, but I doubt you will win any championships in this league unless you dig up another Cam Newton at QB and catch every break possible in four or five come back wins during the year. You probably need to have two or three QBs ready when you play Bama because they will take some shots.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.