Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 53 to 63 of 63
  1. #53
    Suspended Dallas4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,882

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer69 View Post
    My concern is the ongoing head trauma case/cases in the NFL and how any judgement, settlement or rule changes there will ultimately affect college football. I'll bet Roger Goodell is spending the majority of his time right now with a team of lawyers figuring out what they need to do on several fronts. I don't like many of the NFL rule changes, but my guess is that more are coming as part of a strategy to possibly settle their cases and provide more money for players in terms or treatment, pensions or something like that. Maybe Earle or other attorneys could comment on how this could play out in coming years? If there is a judgment/settlement and the NFL modifies its rules and compensation, it seems to me the next step for former players and their attorneys would be to go after universities. If the average NFL career is 4 years or whatever and player had 4 yrs in college, could they not assert some of their injuries occurred in college? I'd imagine in court the NFL will use this as a defense.
    Guys I'm telling you this is really where this whole thing is headed. This guys book happened to come out at the rights time so he got some interviews. I bet half the interviews were set up by people thnkingbhe was going to talk about the dangers of head trauma.

    For the last year there has been at least one story a month on local news about the dangers of head trauma in sports. So now with the NFL lawsuit, the death of Junior Seau and other reports of the long term effects of football collisions and the brain it's really ramping up. There were two stories on the local news last night about the long term effects of head trauma from sports on the brain. Soccer, which is just as rough but has always avoided the negative press associated with collission injuries seems to be the next big target. Last night we were told that soccer injuries are causing children long term brain damage.

    Already major media outlets have referred to watching football as similar to watching the roman gladiators kill each other in the collesiums. It's being called brutal and cruel.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,066

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    Guys I'm telling you this is really where this whole thing is headed. This guys book happened to come out at the rights time so he got some interviews. I bet half the interviews were set up by people thnkingbhe was going to talk about the dangers of head trauma.

    For the last year there has been at least one story a month on local news about the dangers of head trauma in sports. So now with the NFL lawsuit, the death of Junior Seau and other reports of the long term effects of football collisions and the brain it's really ramping up. There were two stories on the local news last night about the long term effects of head trauma from sports on the brain. Soccer, which is just as rough but has always avoided the negative press associated with collission injuries seems to be the next big target. Last night we were told that soccer injuries are causing children long term brain damage.

    Already major media outlets have referred to watching football as similar to watching the roman gladiators kill each other in the collesiums. It's being called brutal and cruel.
    I was having discussion, well more like an argument, yesterday with a German friend about heading in soccer. He thinks football is brutal but wouldn't concede that there was any danger in heading. He was maintaining that there was no problem if the ball were headed properly - with the forehead (Stirn). There are actually several studies on cognitive dysfunction from heading for a period of years...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    “I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

  4. #55
    BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    2,990

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    You're obviously a pretty smart fellar. So I won't point out the existence of universities long before the invention of the game, nor the correlation between the elite academic institutions around the world and their lack of sports programs for distractions. As for the rest of your argument you had just as well written the article if you're basing whether something is a distraction or not on, "in your eyes it's just part of the deal". With scientific formula like that behind you it's hard to see why anyone would argue.

    I'm as against football being banned as anyone, but you leave yourself open to debate from others when you make a weak statement. Kids screaming in the back seat while you're driving is a distraction. It doesn't make it any less of a distraction just because they've been doing it since the invention of the automobile. Nor does it mean it can't be overcome with concentration, which is where the solid argument lies. Cute girls can be a distraction and they always have, it's up to the individual to not let it become an overwhelming distraction.
    You seem to be a pretty smart feller, so I won't point out that there were sporting events associated with colleges long before college football that would also qualify under this discussion. I also won't point out that college students that don't want the distraction of sports are more than welcome to attend colleges that don't offer sports and thusly not be distracted. Otherwise the 'distractions' are just part of what makes college what it is & thus in my opinion isn't worth singling out as a being a distraction rather than just an integrated part of what makes up a college education. Also since you seem to be such a smart feller I won't point out that an opinion is just what someone thinks, and not necessarily a scientific formula. A good example of an opinion and not a scientific fact is the article linked in the OP.

    As another poster said you might as well ban the Greek system, women, alcohol, and everything else under the sun. Heck we can just adopt a Clockwork Orange version of education where we just strap kids in and brainwash their info straight into their heads.

  5. #56
    Suspended Dallas4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,882

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    You seem to be a pretty smart feller, so I won't point out that there were sporting events associated with colleges long before college football that would also qualify under this discussion. I also won't point out that college students that don't want the distraction of sports are more than welcome to attend colleges that don't offer sports and thusly not be distracted. Otherwise the 'distractions' are just part of what makes college what it is & thus in my opinion isn't worth singling out as a being a distraction rather than just an integrated part of what makes up a college education. Also since you seem to be such a smart feller I won't point out that an opinion is just what someone thinks, and not necessarily a scientific formula. A good example of an opinion and not a scientific fact is the article linked in the OP.

    As another poster said you might as well ban the Greek system, women, alcohol, and everything else under the sun. Heck we can just adopt a Clockwork Orange version of education where we just strap kids in and brainwash their info straight into their heads.
    You obviously are so determined to defend the statement that football isn't a distraction you can't debate it honestly. When I was at the university it was a huge distraction for myself and many others and we weren't playing. I had players copy notes from me on lectures they missed for traveling on Fridays before games. Missing at minimum 4 or 5 lectures during a semester seems pretty distracting to me.

    But just keep saying it isn't because they've been playing sports a long time in college. That makes all the sense in the world.

    BTW, banning all that stuff would be just as stupid as banning football. Yes they are all distractions, but you can't ban them all. That's a stupid ideal.
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; May 9th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

  6. #57
    Suspended Dallas4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,882

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I was having discussion, well more like an argument, yesterday with a German friend about heading in soccer. He thinks football is brutal but wouldn't concede that there was any danger in heading. He was maintaining that there was no problem if the ball were headed properly - with the forehead (Stirn). There are actually several studies on cognitive dysfunction from heading for a period of years...
    Isn't it interesting that soccer has gone without notice for so long in this area. It has been offered up as a safer alternative to football and baseball, yet I would argue it's more dangerous than baseball and just as dangerous as football.

    I know it isn't as big in rural parts of the country so that may be some of it, but in large metro areas it's big. The fact that many moms who are afraid for their kids to play football but let them play soccer blows my mind.

  7. #58
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Frank DeFord on NPR jumped on the ban football bandwagon this morning. Of course, this was to be expected from a guy that, as far as I can tell, only really enjoys women's tennis.

  8. #59
    BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    2,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    You obviously are so determined to defend the statement that football isn't a distraction you can't debate it honestly. When I was at the university it was a huge distraction for myself and many others and we weren't playing. I had players copy notes from me on lectures they missed for traveling on Fridays before games. Missing at minimum 4 or 5 lectures during a semester seems pretty distracting to me.

    But just keep saying it isn't because they've been playing sports a long time in college. That makes all the sense in the world.

    BTW, banning all that stuff would be just as stupid as banning football. Yes they are all distractions, but you can't ban them all. That's a stupid ideal.
    I'm only defending the fact that it's my opinion. It isn't footballs fault if you are distracted by it. It's your fault. Feel free to continue arguing for no reason other than you are distracted by thinking I'm saying it's a fact rather than stopping your long history of distractedness & understanding it is just how I feel about it.

  9. #60
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,066

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    I'm only defending the fact that it's my opinion. It isn't footballs fault if you are distracted by it. It's your fault. Feel free to continue arguing for no reason other than you are distracted by thinking I'm saying it's a fact rather than stopping your long history of distractedness & understanding it is just how I feel about it.
    We've had enough of the back and forth. Drop it or take it to PM...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    “I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

  10. #61
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,651
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    There are distractions in everyone's everyday life.

    Coach Saban calls it "clutter".

    Not all athletes can overcome that clutter and focus on what they're supposed to be trying to accomplish.

    Not all non-athlete students can overcome the clutter of the fraternity party being planned to focus on a history test.

    Not all husbands can overcome the clutter of the pretty secretary to focus on being loyal to their wives.

    So let's ban football, fraternity parties and marriage. That'll be the start to a good "what to ban" list.

    I think this guy's either an ignoramus about real life or a true genius about promotion who is seeking publicity for a book that is soon to come out.

    The screenplay will be about a great athlete who gets hurt in his senior year and flops in life because he never focused on his education.

    The convicted party will be the game he played which, coincidentally will be college football.

    Trust me. I'm in this business and it's as see through as nice clean window.

    This guy cares nothing about anything but an upcoming book that he hopes will make him millions. Period.

    sip
    Last edited by Alasippi; May 9th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

  11. #62
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    7,124
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Everything you need to know about this idiot is right here:

    "But I still think you have the fundamental problem of sports...It's all about winning."

    And right here, in his WSJ rant:

    “I would much prefer students going to college to learn and be prepared for the rigors of the new economic order.”

    Learn and be prepared means being indoctrinated.

    New economic order means all that hopenchangey stuff.

    His ideas have nothing to do with sports or amateurism. It's all about ideology.

    He hates this country and he hates the competitive spirit that drives Americans to succeed every day.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

    Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

  12. #63
    Suspended Dallas4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,882

    Re: Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

    Here's the problem college football faces. There have always been people who thought the sport should be pulled for one reason or another. Whether its guys who don't like real world competition like the don't keep score people, to the money is wasted that could fo to education crowd. There has also always been the group that said the sport is too rough. Now all these groups are still out there pushing and the sport is too violent crowd is growing. There are front office NFL people openly asking if the reward is worth the risk to the body and brain. As I was having dinner out this evening I could see a tv with the closed caption on. They were discussing the "concussion crisis" as they called it. Someone made the comment that the future if the sport is in jeopardy because as more and more info on head trauma is released parents will reconsider allowing their children to play. Now if that doesn't plant the idea in some peoples heads I don't know what would. The sport is being attacked and we need to recognize it and be ready.

    The deaths of Duerson and Seau are flaming the fires. The question is what will the game look like when the fire gets through sweeping across it? I hope its the game we love and enjoy today.

    I would be interested in any input from our medical staff where they stand on this. Right now everything is being twisted into a narrative that football kills you. Staci, care to give us some professional insight?
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; May 10th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!