Buzz Bissinger, author of FNL "College Football should be banned"

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
There are very few schools that make money on football and if they make money on football it doesn't go back into the general fund for general student use it goes back into supporting non-revenue sports. You look at the University of Maryland; in order to keep a football program alive that's losing money they've gotten rid of eight non-revenue sports. And what exactly does football have to do with academics? The answer is nothing.
People say it enables kids—from impoverished settings or the inner city or kids without good educations—it gives them an opportunity to go to college and learn. They don't have time to learn! They're there to play football. You ask any major college athlete—whether it's lacrosse or football or soccer or basketball—they'll tell you, "We're here to play a sport. We're not here to study."
It allows kids that otherwise might not be able to go to college to attend and get a good education, and since the money supports the non-revenue sports it also does the same thing for the kids that play those other sports so what exactly does football have to do with athletics Mr. Pulitzer Prize? The answer is not nothing.

Its a shame that Greg McElroy didn't have any time to learn and study. If he did he might have been able to come close to being a Rhodes scholar or something.

Sounds like a guy that's son is failing out of college and he has to find an excuse so he says that sports are too distracting for college.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Y'all, he does make some good points. There are things that are really messed up with what college sports in general and football specifically has evolved into.

But there are ways to fix it that don't involve outright banning the sport.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't necessarily have a problem with some of his points, but let's apply it to all walks of life.

Remember how we were all told when we were young that if we worked hard we could grow up to be President of the United States?

Well, if the last 25 years have shown us anything it's that if you didn't go to Harvard or Yale, forget about it. Ronald Reagan was the
last guy we had who went to a plain old school (Eureka College where - wait for it - he played college football). Simply look at the
ineptitude put in Washington chosen by the elite - Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Sarah Palin, Joe Biden, GW Bush - what in the world is
that all about? But I digress as this is not the NS board. His notion, however, that athletes ought to go into the inner-city and
say, "You don't have a chance to make it" is ludicrous.

Besides - most athletes are egotists to some degree and do you really think any of them are going to say, "Wasn't talent or hard
work, I was just lucky?" Yes, that's part of it, but do you really think any of them will say that?

Why not send fighter pilots around to say, "Look, the only reason I got into the academy was because my Daddy was an officer."
Because that's about 99% true, too.

Going on..

There's a reason we can't pay the football players - it's called Title IX (which I see he mentioned). Now - if people want to accept the idea that life is not fair
(which is basically all Buzzard is whining about anyway) and do away with that then we can get somewhere.

The early 1900s it wasn't about winning. Really? Then why did they keep score, Buzz?

There are thousands of Boobies out there

Boy, I'll bet he was smiling when he said that.

My suspicion is this - Buzzinger was one of those nerds who not only couldn't play football, he hated going to the game. Maybe he was in the band and had
to go, and now he's got some clout (cough! as journalism has changed drastically) and wants to get even.

socalbamafan

1st Team
Aug 14, 2007
Guys this is about a lot more than this article. It's the first of many to come. Look for an all out attack on the sport in the coming years.

This guy writes an article that says we should ban football. He has done about 20 interviews a day since then. What a coincidence, he has a new book coming out may 15.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Y'all, he does make some good points. There are things that are really messed up with what college sports in general and football specifically has evolved into.

I wonder what "we" would be willing to accept to truly fix it? Because let's be honest. A lot of what he says in that article is dead on. I played college sports. It does take up a TON of time. Yes, there are those who actually do get a good education. But I'd say in today's big time college football and the demands there are on winning. There are more who simply aren't getting an education than those that are getting one. Yes, they may hand out a piece of paper but it is not worth the paper it's on.

To me to truly fix it we as fans would have to accept a lower quality product on the field. I find it hard to believe a lot of these guys have the time to put in the demands of today's big time college football AND the time to meet the demands of college level classes without being held to a much lower standard. I think we are lying to ouselves to think the majority are doing that.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I don't necessarily have a problem with some of his points, but let's apply it to all walks of life.

Remember how we were all told when we were young that if we worked hard we could grow up to be President of the United States?

Well, if the last 25 years have shown us anything it's that if you didn't go to Harvard or Yale, forget about it. Ronald Reagan was the
last guy we had who went to a plain old school (Eureka College where - wait for it - he played college football). Simply look at the
ineptitude put in Washington chosen by the elite - Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Sarah Palin, Joe Biden, GW Bush - what in the world is
that all about? But I digress as this is not the NS board. His notion, however, that athletes ought to go into the inner-city and
say, "You don't have a chance to make it" is ludicrous.

Besides - most athletes are egotists to some degree and do you really think any of them are going to say, "Wasn't talent or hard
work, I was just lucky?" Yes, that's part of it, but do you really think any of them will say that?

Why not send fighter pilots around to say, "Look, the only reason I got into the academy was because my Daddy was an officer."
Because that's about 99% true, too.

Going on..

There's a reason we can't pay the football players - it's called Title IX (which I see he mentioned). Now - if people want to accept the idea that life is not fair
(which is basically all Buzzard is whining about anyway) and do away with that then we can get somewhere.

The early 1900s it wasn't about winning. Really? Then why did they keep score, Buzz?

There are thousands of Boobies out there

Boy, I'll bet he was smiling when he said that.

My suspicion is this - Buzzinger was one of those nerds who not only couldn't play football, he hated going to the game. Maybe he was in the band and had
to go, and now he's got some clout (cough! as journalism has changed drastically) and wants to get even.
I wonder what "we" would be willing to accept to truly fix it? Because let's be honest. A lot of what he says in that article is dead on. I played college sports. It does take up a TON of time. Yes, there are those who actually do get a good education. But I'd say in today's big time college football and the demands there are on winning. There are more who simply aren't getting an education than those that are getting one. Yes, they may hand out a piece of paper but it is not worth the paper it's on.

To me to truly fix it we as fans would have to accept a lower quality product on the field. I find it hard to believe a lot of these guys have the time to put in the demands of today's big time college football AND the time to meet the demands of college level classes without being held to a much lower standard. I think we are lying to ouselves to think the majority are doing that.
agree with what you guys are saying. Obviously, I don't think any of us think that banning college football is the way to fix things.

But I might also argue, who has decided that it needs fixing? If universities are willing to lose money to field a team, who's to stop them? If a kid puts all his eggs in one basket to try to make it to the NFL, and doesn't make it to the NFL....who's to stop them?

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
This guy writes an article that says we should ban football. He has done about 20 interviews a day since then. What a coincidence, he has a new book coming out may 15.
He is only being interviewed because the media is already on the trail. Jr Seau's suicide, the changing if kick off rules, NFL players law suit against the league, etc... its all part of a bigger puzzle. I would bet within the next two years kick offs will be eliminated at some level either NFL, college or high school. It will then move through the other levels and will be the beginning of the end. It's not about education, pay for play or anything like that. This guy is getting press because his book and article fit the media template. He was just lucky with the timing of his book.

The sport is in a battle with the human brain and the injuries the sport does or does not cause. This guy just had some good timing and is getting attention.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I cannot accept his exploitation or time commitment arguments. You get out of life what you put into it. The kids that want to leverage their sports talent toward obtaining a leg up in life, by and large, are successful in doing so. A free college education at the university of their choice is a HUGE leg up, to say nothing of the value of name recognition (which may be the most valuable thing that many kids get out of playing major college football).

Some kids go to college and study hard, focused on a goal. Some coast through school. Some fail to even pass. All three within the same the same school. This is also true whether or not the kid plays a sport of any kind. In fact, it may be more true for athletes simply because their education is free, so less valued by the individual. The difference is within each student.

Reduce all college sports to club level sports to help athletes? The idea is absurd - athletes without means lose their primary leverage, and their talents go undeveloped. Who actually benefits from that scenario? Anyone?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What are the good points he's making? He starts off saying "I have a feeling these programs don't make any money", and yet we all know Alabama is making a lot of money off of football. I don't even see anyone here calling him on that, it's just an outright falsehood. Not a "good point", so let me read further. Sure, he clarifies it later, but he can't say they don't make money, then later on say only some schools make money. That's double talk.

"You look at the University of Maryland; in order to keep a football program alive that's losing money they've gotten rid of eight non-revenue sports."
Oh, I see. Keeping the non-earning football program is bad but, so is getting rid of other non-earning programs no one cares about? More double talk... of course he qualifies that a bit later, but I'm glad I've never read his writing before. It sounds like he likes making a point and then trying to clean up the inconsistencies later. For the record, I do think some programs should be dropped, or moved down a level, but not so you can save a sport no one cares about.

"People with far more knowledge than me say that universities are failing and the reason they are failing is that there are too many distractions"
Umm, is this the good point people are talking about? They're failing because they're run by a bunch of college educated idiots. They're failing because (sorry, but it's in the article, don't I get to address it powers that be?) they have a revenue stream from the government in the form of direct financing and student loans that knows no bounds and they have no incentive to behave responsibly.

"Spin if off, in effect, make them into minor league systems, triple-A teams for the university."
Oh!!! I found it. The good point! Once again, this guy's writing style shines through. He starts with saying "ban" college football, then tells us to spin it off and make it semi-pro. His writing style makes me want to punch him in his face, because I don't like being lied to, even if it's just to emphasize a point.

"But I still think you have the fundamental problem of sports...It's all about winning. It's all about winning at any cost."
That reminds me to get back to what I was in the process of writing... but please do let this statement, in the form of a complaint sink in.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The guy is an idiot. His logic is so inconsistant it is pitful. Even Scarbinsky has torn the article apart.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/05/ban_college_football_buzz_biss.html

OK. If that's the standard, if only purely academic pursuits should be allowed on campus, a long list of organizations and activities would be sent to the gallows. Good-bye, fraternities and sororities, college Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians, bands, choral groups and dance teams, etc. The University of Alabama would have to do away with the Crimson Jugglers, Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers and the Rip Tide Dancers.
Scab is somewhat making "the idiot's" point for him in this paragragh. He's saying there's too many distractions in colleges these days. It seems his main point is that college is for higher education, not entertainment. Which to be honest, how many millions of kids go off to college and absolutely do nothing but waste away in "dreamland" for three/four years while mama and daddy foot the bill, only to graduate with a degree in something they can't even find a job for. I do think banning football is nuts. That point I do not agree with him on. But I do somewhat agree with him on some other things. Like the quality of education these "student-athletes" are getting. For every B. Jones/GMac how many Kenny Irons are there?

Again, I don't agree with everything he's saying but I think he brings up some good points regarding education and what our colleges have turned into.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
A pointy headed "intellectual" who couldn't park a bicycle straight.
I resent that remark.

He's over the top with his ban football comment, but you do have to admit, Division I football as we know it today has become a business and has little to do with academics except in some colleges that push for it. Just count the number of threads on playoffs vs. the number of threads on academics and sport/life balance to see my point.

Sometimes you need to be shocked to see that the ground you stand on is crumbling beneath your feet.

But, I believe our program is doing many things correctly as shown by our graduation rates, NFL draftees, and lower numbers of crimes committed by our players. Conversely, the Fulmer Cup will lead you to the programs that have lost their way. When most of the money and power are in the hands of a few in a single sport, things are out of balance and I believe should be rebalanced, just like your 401k.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
He probably wants to ban gasoline, red meat, salt and non-educational TV as well ...

I don't care if he doesn't wanna watch it ... why does he have to try and ruin it for me?

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
But, I believe our program is doing many things correctly as shown by our graduation rates, NFL draftees, and lower numbers of crimes committed by our players. Conversely, the Fulmer Cup will lead you to the programs that have lost their way.
Exactly, and the NCAA and the SEC, will monitor the student athletes' mandated academic progress. Witness the rule going into effect, for incoming freshmen. 40% of the latest class would not qualify. CNS runs a tight ship. If an athlete want to excel, or just "get by" academically it's his choice. The fact this Bissinger premise is being discussed nationally, is good for Buzz. Period! Alabama football is going nowhere except up.....in excellence.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
But I do somewhat agree with him on some other things. Like the quality of education these "student-athletes" are getting. For every B. Jones/GMac how many Kenny Irons are there? Again, I don't agree with everything he's saying but I think he brings up some good points regarding education and what our colleges have turned into.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Although I continue to be amazed at the amount of "luxuries" we've added to student life over the last few decades, the fact is you are only going to get out of a college education what you put into it, regardless of whatever distractions there are on campus. At some point you have to take responsibility for yourself and get to class, study, and make the grade. Don't blame the colleges for providing you with something to make your life a little less boring while getting an education. I'm sure the students that are wasting their time on university provided distractions would be down on the strip drinking or playing pool all the time (which is what they did when I was in school back in the 70's) if those things weren't there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.